Oct 17, 2012, 1:28 PM EDT
The deadline is one week from today — either teams reach terms on a contract extension with players from the draft class of 2009 or said players become restricted free agents next summer. A deal gets struck by Halloween or other teams can make a run at the guy next July.
The notoriously stingy Bulls see Gibson as part of the long-term future with Derrick Rose. That is the long-term. But if they pay Gibson they need him to step up because it almost ensures they have to amnesty Carlos Boozer next summer (unless they want to pay some healthy luxury taxes, and there is no way Jerry Reinsdorf does that).
Which is why many rival teams expect the Bulls to have Gibson signed to a new deal by month’s end, even though Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf is seemingly never in a rush to do extensions.
The high dollars and luxury-tax implications are such in James Harden’s case that it wouldn’t totally shock the world if the parties reach November without a deal … but no deal in Gibson’s case would expose the Bulls to the same conditions that made it possible for Houston to pilfer Omer Asik in restricted free agency this past July. Which is something Chicago really can’t afford. Extending Gibson now and cutting ties with Carlos Boozer later via the amnesty clause, sources say, is still the most likely outcome here.
The Bulls are clearly looking long term with their roster moves — there are a lot of expiring contracts for the summer of 2014 that with Boozer gone (and Deng in) could allow the Bulls to make some runs at free agents. The Bulls see a lineup with Rose, Gibson and Joakim Noah as a group that can win in a couple years with another piece or two.
But that involves spending to get Gibson. By next week.
- Timberwolves run newspaper ad announcing Kevin Love-Andrew Wiggins trade with Cavaliers 19
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 5
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 28
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 80
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54