Celtics sign Leandro Barbosa to backup Rajon Rondo

Oct 17, 2012, 4:39 PM EDT

Leandro Barbosa, Indiana Pacers Getty Images

Well, I guess they are bringing in a veteran after all.

The Boston Celtics have agreed to a one-year deal with point guard Leandro Barbosa, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network.

The Celtics decided on Tuesday to let Dionte Christmas go and there were reports they might start to look for a veteran backup for Rajon Rondo. Barbosa was the best name on the market. Barbosa is speedy point guard who most remember as Steve Nash‘s backup in Phoenix for years but his game has slipped following that early promise. He started last season in Toronto but came to Indiana at the trade deadline. He averaged 8.9 points per game for the Pacers but had almost as many turnovers as assists. He shot just 39.9 percent overall (but did knock down threes consistently). In the playoffs his play dropped off as did his minutes, particularly against the Heat in the second round. He was not effective.

Barbosa is not really good anymore, there’s a reason he was still on the market. He’s a below-average backup point guard. But in limited minutes with good talent around him and a strong locker room, he could serve the Celtics’ purposes. He’d probably play as well or better than Christmas, and better than any other point guards on the market (Derek Fisher, Jonny Flynn, and it gets worse from there). That said, they can’t expect much from him. This needs to be a small role. For a lot of teams I’d question this signing, but for Boston this could work out.

1. bougin89 - Oct 17, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Didn’t see this one coming. Celtics just keep adding depth.

• dls612 - Oct 17, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Don’t get too excited there Jr! He’s not going to make that much of an impact!

• bougin89 - Oct 18, 2012 at 9:54 AM

A. I’m not a Jr!
        B. I’m not a Celtics fan!
        C. I thinking signing Barbosa to a minimal contract to be your 2nd/3rd PG would be a good move on just about any team!

• redbaronx - Oct 21, 2012 at 8:05 AM

I’m sorry, but I agree with dls612. If he was bad last year with no injuries, I don’t expect that to improve this year. The Celtics would have been far better off getting someone younger in maybe year 3 or 4 that has some experience, than Barbosa who seems to be over-matched at this point whether he’s 2nd or 3rd in depth at the point.

I’m also not as hot on the Celtics as some analysts (Kurt) think they are. I can see the C’s ending up as a 4 to 6 seed in the East this year. The only reason the C’s are still relevant is Rondo, and all it will take is for him to miss time for the Celtics to really slide.

2. bigwii - Oct 17, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I like this move he will be able to fill in until Avery Bradley gets back

• dls612 - Oct 17, 2012 at 8:23 PM

You Celtic fans would’ve said the same if u guys picked up Fisher or Flynn! ” I like this move ” opening night will see how much of a likable move it was! But if it would make Celtic fans feel better I do believe the Celtics will make it pass the first round!

• redbaronx - Oct 21, 2012 at 8:08 AM

I can’t even see them getting out of the first round this year. They have some big question marks this year. Can Garnett still perform at a high level? If so, how many minutes a night and how many games? Rondo is what makes this whole thing still work. I’m betting that he’ll wear down from carrying the Celtics in the regular season if he doesn’t get injured outright.

3. miamatt - Oct 17, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Wouldn’t want to overstate this move, but better him than some no-name, low-upside rookie. I hate the Celtics but I can’t help but like how they operate up there.

4. jerdogthompson - Oct 17, 2012 at 8:20 PM

I’m just thankful the Celtics got him and not the Fakers I mean Lakers.

5. misterdreamer119 - Oct 17, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Barbosa? From pirates of the carribean? Awesome!

6. bozosforall - Oct 17, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Garbage…just like Puh C’s fans.

7. paulhargis53 - Oct 17, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Bozo, aren’t you late for your bukakke date?

8. doublezero74 - Oct 17, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Trollsforall isn’t there some Kobe ball washing you could be doing?

9. lakerluver - Oct 17, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Hey, ph53IQ, let me hear your take on this signing. If I recall correctly, when the LAKERS were contemplating signing him you said he was garbage (I’m paraphrasing). You also said, TWO MONTHS AGO, that all the free agents that were left weren’t very good. What’s your take on this signing? Lets see how you spin this.

10. passerby23 - Oct 18, 2012 at 12:24 AM

For 10 minutes a night, a quick guard who can push the ball and score with the second unit, not a bad signing.

11. 00maltliquor - Oct 18, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Dammit! The Lakers got caught napping! I’m sure he signed for vet min. too!

12. eventhorizon04 - Oct 18, 2012 at 3:05 AM

A good depth signing. Though poor defensively, he’s a terrific scorer and could provide a spark off the bench.

I don’t see him getting much playing time, especially after Bradley comes back, because now the Celtics have a lot of guards who would want ample playing time. Rondo, Bradley, Terry, and Lee each could regularly play 25+ mins per game, and all are better defensively than Barbosa, but I feel like he’s an especially good backup for Terry since, again, he can score a ton of points off the bench when needed, while Lee is the defensive guy off the bench.

13. halfbaht - Oct 18, 2012 at 7:28 AM

Do your research! Flynn isn’t on the market, he signed with Detroit

14. paulhargis53 - Oct 18, 2012 at 10:30 AM

What spin? He’s going to fill the Dooling 5th guard role once Bradley gets back.
    It’s not a “great ” signing. Unlike you, I don’t go off the deep end everytime my team signs a player. Especially a player who will rarely see the floor for meaningful minutes once Bradley is healthy. That said, he’s better than Blake or Duhon, still garbage, but better than the Lakers garbage.
    You still havent answered me from a previous post of mine.

Why are you even addressing me anymore? Why are you poking the bear?
    I’ve backed off on you,it was getting boring. This is the 4th time you have tried.
    Before you were whining that I was “stalking” you, now you are seeking me out…..
    Do you miss the attention, (negative, but hey its attention,right?)
    Or is it that you are the psychopath?

You couldn’t leave well enough alone, could you? What’s driving that little infected brain of yours?
    I suggest you let it go sausage wallet.
    I’m giving you 1 more chance to just walk away. Others are tired of the back and forth as much as I am. You are the one trying to keep it going, again why?

Keep doing it, and I WILL embarrass you right off of this site. Walk away little man,walk away.

15. watermelon1 - Oct 18, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I thought the backup PG spot was Jason Terry’s?

16. paulhargis53 - Oct 18, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Spin what? Once Bradley is back, he’s the FIFTH guard. Unlike you, I don’t go off the deep end proclaimimg each and every signing as the best ever. He’s going to have Doolings role on the team, its not a big deal. He is garbage, thats why he was still available. he is better than Blake or Duhon though, still garbage, but better garbage.

Why are you even poking the bear anyway? I hae left you alond for the better part of 5 days. Frankly, it was getting bvoring making you look foolish daily.

You were complaining about me “stalking” you, now, youre trying to anatagonize me? Why?
    Do you miss the attention?( negative as it may be- still attention, right?) Or are you just the psychotic one?

Everyone was tired of the back and forth, me included. So tell us why you need to get this started back again? You are pathetic.

I’ll give you one last chance to walk away sausage wallet. Do everyone a favor and stop addressing me. It’s really pathetic that you have to do this on FIVE different threads.
    You must be sado masochistic. You must really like to look foolish in frnt of everyone.

Walk away little man, walk away. If you continue down this path, I WILL embarass you right off this website. Do everyone a favor and drop this crap……

17. paulhargis53 - Oct 18, 2012 at 5:57 PM

sorry if 2 postings that are similar appeared. Maybe he will get the message anyhow-doubtful

18. lakerluver - Oct 18, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Cue the “crickets” sound.

19. rj2323 - Oct 20, 2012 at 2:34 AM

This was a very good signing I have no idea how Barbosa was still on the market. He could simply fill it up off the bench streaky scorer but he should have been signed a long time ago great pick up for celtics now your looking at a bench once Avery Bradley comes back your looking at Barbosa, Terry, Lee, an either Sulinger or Wilcox solid bench

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches