Oct 17, 2012, 4:39 PM EDT
Well, I guess they are bringing in a veteran after all.
The Celtics decided on Tuesday to let Dionte Christmas go and there were reports they might start to look for a veteran backup for Rajon Rondo. Barbosa was the best name on the market. Barbosa is speedy point guard who most remember as Steve Nash‘s backup in Phoenix for years but his game has slipped following that early promise. He started last season in Toronto but came to Indiana at the trade deadline. He averaged 8.9 points per game for the Pacers but had almost as many turnovers as assists. He shot just 39.9 percent overall (but did knock down threes consistently). In the playoffs his play dropped off as did his minutes, particularly against the Heat in the second round. He was not effective.
Barbosa is not really good anymore, there’s a reason he was still on the market. He’s a below-average backup point guard. But in limited minutes with good talent around him and a strong locker room, he could serve the Celtics’ purposes. He’d probably play as well or better than Christmas, and better than any other point guards on the market (Derek Fisher, Jonny Flynn, and it gets worse from there). That said, they can’t expect much from him. This needs to be a small role. For a lot of teams I’d question this signing, but for Boston this could work out.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 46
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31