Oct 17, 2012, 3:20 PM EDT
Maybe nobody. Jason Terry can do some ball handling with the second unit (although he works better off the ball), and when he’s back Avery Bradley can play some in that role. The Celtics used to use Eddie House as a backup point, they don’t have to get a traditional one. That said, for balance they probably still want one more traditional point guard on the bench.
Might the Celtics try to get a veteran there?
Before the Celtics game Tuesday night Doc Rivers suggested the Celtics might go after a veteran player, according to ESPNBoston.com.
Rivers said the team still plans to keep 15 players and is open to someone from the outside if a cheap veteran can help this team at any position, not just a backup ball-handler. “Maybe the Heat will cut LeBron [James] or whoever,” he said. “We’re always looking. Every team is always looking. If nothing comes, does that bother us? No. It’d be great to get another guy at any position. Obviously, at [point guard] it would help, but we can’t also forget that Avery [Bradley] is coming back too. We don’t want to overdo the point guard thing.”
The real problem here is there is not a quality point guard really hanging around out there ready to be picked up. Leandro Barbosa is probably the best free agent still out there and he may want more than the veteran minimum (and we should debate whether he is worth that). Derek Fisher is out there but he’s not really very good, especially defensively. (Plus, he’s a Lakers legend, that just seems weird.) How about Mike Bibby? Jonny Flynn? Exactly.
Maybe the Celtics make a trade, or maybe they just ride it out for a while and see if they need to make a move. But if they do, it won’t be for a rookie.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 10
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 19
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14