Oct 16, 2012, 8:17 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points more than presidential candidates like watering down debates.
• We told you the other day that despite opposition from the Mariners (and a few others), both the city and county councils that govern Seattle were expected to sign off on the next step in the Seattle Arena project this week. They did. There are still a lot of steps to go — like developer Chris Hansen finding and buying a team to move there — but it continues to gain momentum.
• If you want to look smart about the NBA, you should buy and read Basketball Prosepctus. It is simply the best, most comprehensive season preview of every NBA team out there. (And I’m not just saying that because I have a very small part in it. Very small.)
• Another really smart basketball read today is ESPN analyst David Thorpe (behind the pay wall) suggesting our traditional positional definitions — point guard, power forward, etc.. — and the strict definition of those roles are nearly useless with today’s players. He looks at wings and guards — what matters is do they play on or off the ball, are they more playmaker or scorer? Which makes more sense than trying to argue if Chris Paul or (a healthy) Derrick Rose is a better point guard because they are playing very different roles for their team even though they are both “point guards.” (That just really defines what you think a point guard should be.) Kevin Love and Kevin Durant are about the same height, do you want to define their games that way? Go read the entire article.
• While we’re hanging out in the “advanced stats/redefine basketball terms area” note that Kings coach Keith Smart is giving out defensive grades to players after watching the video of each practice and game. I like it. Players often (not always) respond when held accountable.
• By the way, Rasheed Wallace didn’t practice with the Knicks again as he works on his conditioning. Stunning, I know.
• Mario Chalmers sat out another practice with the Heat as they bring him along slowly from a hamstring injury. If you’re a Heat fan you’ve watched Norris Cole this preseason, you have to hope it isn’t that slow.
• This off-season, Devin Harris had platelet-rich plasma therapy on his knee.
• On another Golden State note, Stephen Curry has looked good when on the floor this preseason.
• Utah’s Mo Williams sat did not suit up for Tuesday’s preseason game due to a strained adductor muscle.
• Miami’s Dexter Pittman had sat out for a while with a sore toe, but he was back at practice Tuesday.
• If you want to hear Swizz Beatz’s new Knicks’ theme song, follow this link.
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 65
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 56
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6