Oct 16, 2012, 5:11 PM EDT
Dionte Christmas looked pretty good for the Celtics at Summer League. He has played well enough for them this preseason that CSNNE.com’s A. Sherrod Blakely thought he stood a good chance to make the team.
Nope. Multiple reports have come out today that Kris Joseph has made the Celtics roster and both Christmas and Jamar Smith have been waived. Peter Yannopoulos of TSN Radio 690 in Montreal was first with the story, since confirmed by Gary Tanguay of CSNNE.com.
Dionte Christmas and Jamar Smith cut from the Celtics roster according to NBA source. #celticstalk PGL at 7p
— Gary Tanguay (@Gary_Tanguay) October 16, 2012
While Christmas may have looked like the best of the backup point guards in camp for the Celtics, he has looked up and down in preseason games. With more downs than ups. That was apparently enough for Danny Ainge to make a call.
The question is where do the Celtics go now for a backup point guard behind Rajon Rondo. Can’t believe it is Micah Downs from in camp. Free agents Leandro Barbosa (not a bad call) and Derek Fisher (not a good call) are out there as free agents. There also may be teams like the Lakers (Chris Duhon and Steve Blake) and the Raptors (Jose Calderon, although his $10 million salary is steep) who might be willing to make a trade.
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 27
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 52
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 31
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 47
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 26
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 22