Report: Lakers could sign Derek Fisher tomorrow. Not that they should.

Oct 16, 2012, 8:48 AM EDT

Derek Fisher Getty Images

The real question here is why should they?

Still, we should report that our understanding of the situation has changed. According to a report last week, we said that even if they wanted to the Lakers could not re-sign point guard Derek Fisher until March, the one-year anniversary of when he was waived.

But the reality is the Lakers could sign him tomorrow if they wanted, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.

Sources briefed on the discussions told ESPN.com on Monday that Fisher has, indeed, been verified by the league office as eligible to re-sign with the Lakers since July 1, which runs counter to the widely held assumption that Fisher had to wait at least one year from the date that the Lakers dealt him to Houston in March before a reunion with Kobe Bryant would be permissible.

The NBA’s new labor agreement stipulates that a player traded and then waived by the team that acquired him can’t re-sign with his original team for one year or until the traded contract runs out — whichever comes first. But in Fisher’s case, confusion surrounding his player option for the 2012-13 season led to the belief in some league circles that he had picked up the option before the Houston Rockets bought him out. In reality, sources confirm, Fisher was bought out by Houston before he was eligible to invoke the 2012-13 option, which means that his contract was deemed to have ended June 30, sending Fisher to full-fledged free agency on July 1.

Got all that?

Bottom line, the Lakers could re-sign Fisher if he is still on the market and they trade Chris Duhon or Steve Blake. And they are reportedly willing to listen to offers for those two.

Here again is the problem — Fisher really isn’t good anymore (regular season PER of 5.9 that jumped up to a terrible 10.4 in the playoffs). He’s a defensive liability who doesn’t shoot as well as he used to. The Lakers are in this to win it and they need a backup point guard who can soak up 20 minutes a night, allowing coach Steve Nash to rest his back. Blake or Duhon would be better at that than Fisher.

And for the Lakers fans telling me (usually on twitter) about Fisher’s leadership — why do they need that? This isn’t a young team. If you wanted to say that about OKC last year it’s at least a debate. But the Lakers already have Kobe Bryant, Nash, Pau Gasol, Antawn Jamison and plenty of veterans and guys with rings. They don’t need more leadership, they need guys who can play.

But it’s something to watch.

1. burm61 - Oct 16, 2012 at 9:11 AM

You forgot the main reason the Lakers would resign him. It’s Kobe’s team and Kobe’s friend. If he wants Fisher, it’ll happen.

• joshm5683 - Oct 16, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Agree 100% that if the Lakers bring back Fisher its a move that Kobe wanted. As a Lakers fan I’m terrified of that scenario. I respect what Fish has done for my Lakers, but hes been pretty bad the last few years and his shooting like pointed out is on decline. Do the Lakers not remember how horrible he was as a PG in a conventional offense to start last year?

My hope is Kobe realizes its not about playing with friends but winning titles. I tend to lean that he does seeing how he blasted Smush Parker recently. If the Lakers do bring back Fish, it’ll be a sad day for me and I’m sure other Lakers fans.

I will however endorse the idea of signing him to a ceremonial contract of like a week and having him retire as a Laker. I respect the guy and still remember the shot against the Spurs with .4 left!

• tsi431 - Oct 16, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Most of you are under the impression that this is the exact team as last year. Its not.

All Fisher has to do is come in as a 3rd string PG and pass the ball to Howard underneath. Howard will be happy and Kobe can take a break with Nash. Gasol is now an afterthought in this situation, believe it or not.

2. timb12 - Oct 16, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Would he wear the mascot uniform? Or are they expecting him to actually play?

3. manchestermiracle - Oct 16, 2012 at 9:50 AM

“…(C)oach Steve Nash.” Mike Brown is gone? When did that happen?

4. lakerluver - Oct 16, 2012 at 10:30 AM

I love D. Fish but this is puzzling. However, I’ve learned to NEVER question Mitch or the Buss family on their decisions. Plus, it’s not like signing Fish will disrupt the team. He is the consummate pro. Go LAKERS!!

5. 00maltliquor - Oct 16, 2012 at 12:51 PM

“Blake or Duhon would be better at that then Fisher.”

*correction: Duhon would be better at that then Fisher.

• loungefly74 - Oct 16, 2012 at 10:37 PM

hilarious.

6. lakerluver - Oct 16, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Come on, malt, show my boy a little respect, Blake’s not “that” bad as a back up!!

• 00maltliquor - Oct 16, 2012 at 11:34 PM

lakerluver, my brethren, are you watching tonights pre-season game? it’s halftime and Blake is not dissapointing when it comes to dissapointing! 0-3, 0 pts., 1 ast./1 t.o. BENCH LEADING -6 (he’s ALWAYS leading in that stat, F I swear, uggh!).

DID YOU SEE THAT PUTZ RUN INTO THE DEFENDER ON A SCREEN SET FOR HIM!!?? L…M…F…A…O!!! What a turd!

C’mon brother laker’, come to terms with it. Blake is the WORST PG in the game.

• 00maltliquor - Oct 17, 2012 at 1:17 AM

OK LL, games over, and we stunk it up, but here’s a look at your boy Steve to the Blake……….

18:50 (bench high in min. played), BENCH LEADING +/- -18 (pay attention to this seemingly worthless stat, it actually say A LOT with how you effect the game when you’re in the game, trust me.)

1 pt., 4 ast. (WOW! Can’t believe it!!), 1 reb., 1 stl., 1 to, 0-3 fg, 0-1 3pt (his supposed “specialty”) 1-2 from the ft ( c’mon!!!! wtf!! He’s a 6 ft white guy! They should be automatic! lol).

LL…. this is THE NORM for this guy!! THIS IS EVERYDAY life with this FotherMucker!!!!!! You can NOT CONTINUE TO BACK THIS GUY UP ANYMORE!!!! Face the facts my man, I beg you to come to your senses!

PLEASE respond back ’cause I would love to hear your take on this (if you indeed did watch the game, otherwise this is moot).

• 00maltliquor - Oct 17, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Oh, and one more thing my dude…

I can spit stats out to you or anyone else who would listen until I’m blue in the face, and some of the times stats don’t say sh!t, but I ask you this… did…you…actually…see..this…guy…play?? He is a Waste Management employee that happens to put on a GLORIOUS LAKER jersey at night, meaning…he is GARBAGE!!

I am at the point to where I am almost brought to tears that this CLOWN A$$ FotherMucker is gonna be OUR 1st PG off the bench! I CAN NOT TAKE THIS P.O.S. NO MORE!! I’m at my wits end with this clown!! AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Thank GOD I shave my head skin bald right now, otherwise I would have pulled all my hair out by the roots right now!

• 00maltliquor - Oct 17, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Okay okay, LAST vent! I swear, last vent!

This is pre-season and this guy is doing this! He should be KILLING it with this second unit, or at LEAST look respectable, considering what he’s paid. Chris Duhon played 11 or so min. and had a better stat line ( and he looked pretty good too, good sign). I have NO respect for this…for this…this…this…(uh-oh diareah of the mouth…)…this *ugh, ugh, ugggggh* SAUSAGE WALLET!! ( F man!!! I am FORCED TO USE A FREAKIN’ paulhargis53 aka pudhummer term to refrian from cursing too much on this site for fear of getting sensored!! FML!!! I don’t even know what that means but that’s what he is to me!!!)

You can’t seriously tell me Fisher couldn’t put up simalar #’s if not better and still get it done as a leader and in the clutch when called upon. C’mon LL, admit it!

7. themanchine - Oct 16, 2012 at 2:11 PM

He’d be better “fit” in Golden State.

8. ambitoos - Oct 16, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Maybe for no other reason than his locker room presents. D Fish is very well respected by other players.

• paleihe - Oct 16, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Fish gives them presents in the locker room?

I’d want him on my team too!

• 00maltliquor - Oct 16, 2012 at 11:38 PM

LOL

9. nlruizjr - Oct 17, 2012 at 2:58 AM

The Lakers can’t afford to waste any signups and signing Dfish would be a waste when they could sign someone like J. Flynn, loyalty is not going to win you any “C”s

10. paulhargis53 - Oct 17, 2012 at 8:08 AM

I knew I should have patented the term sausage wallet. Thanks for at least giving me credit malt.

11. omniusprime - Oct 17, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Derek Fisher will be a big improvement over Steve Flake as a backup point guard. Even if the Lakers have to just cut Flake they ned to get rid of this Flake and bring in a true champion like Fisher. Fish would make the bench much better, which is what the Lakers need. Go Fish!!! Go Kobe!!! Go Lakers!!!

12. purplerain53 - Oct 17, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Even talking about those two is vasting of time.Lakers needs a lots better backup PG than Fisher, Balke, Duhon and Morris. That is the bottom point. It was said very well bellow.Fisher can only bring a veteran leadership to this team, but…we no more need that. Kobe, Nash, Gasol, M W P and Jamison are good enough for us.Fisher is realy bad choice and I don’t think Kobe is that stupid to lobbies for him.Nore will M.Kupchak take that wrong step. We need to get rid of Blake and Duhon and sign FA Leandro Barbosa or maybe trade for Jose Calderon or someone else from that caliber. Fisher won’t resolve our need for Nash’s backup.
    As a matter of fact, he can retire and join our coaching staff as an assistant to learn the job and maybe one day to become the next Lakers head coach or assistant GM. That will be the best for him.

13. openseason51 - Oct 18, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Sign him only if he agrees to retire immediately. He has no value for a future trade and his age just won’t allow him to play the defense he is noted for. His offense is suspect and the shooting range is down at least 3 feet. So no more surprise 3 pointers.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches