Oct 16, 2012, 10:07 AM EDT
Things are never dull around Delonte West.
The Dallas Mavericks suspended West from Monday night’s game for “conduct detrimental to the team.” What does that mean? Some kind of outburst, reports ESPNDallas.com.
Sources told ESPNDallas.com that West’s suspension stems at least in part from an outburst in the locker room after the Mavs’ 123-104 preseason win Monday over the Houston Rockets. He had 2 points, 2 assists and 1 rebound in 16 minutes during the win.
West tweeted later Monday: “Sorry moma…” and “I showed off on ur birthday again…”
Coach Rick Carlisle did not provide a timetable for West’s return.
We don’t know what sparked the outburst. We should remind everyone that West suffers from a bipolar disorder, although what, if any, role that played is unclear.
He played a pretty big role for the Mavericks off the bench last season, giving them 9.6 points and 3.2 assists per game with a PER right at the league average of 15.3. They will need that and more from him this year on a team with a smaller margin for error.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 18
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 48
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17