Oct 16, 2012, 10:07 AM EDT
Things are never dull around Delonte West.
The Dallas Mavericks suspended West from Monday night’s game for “conduct detrimental to the team.” What does that mean? Some kind of outburst, reports ESPNDallas.com.
Sources told ESPNDallas.com that West’s suspension stems at least in part from an outburst in the locker room after the Mavs’ 123-104 preseason win Monday over the Houston Rockets. He had 2 points, 2 assists and 1 rebound in 16 minutes during the win.
West tweeted later Monday: “Sorry moma…” and “I showed off on ur birthday again…”
Coach Rick Carlisle did not provide a timetable for West’s return.
We don’t know what sparked the outburst. We should remind everyone that West suffers from a bipolar disorder, although what, if any, role that played is unclear.
He played a pretty big role for the Mavericks off the bench last season, giving them 9.6 points and 3.2 assists per game with a PER right at the league average of 15.3. They will need that and more from him this year on a team with a smaller margin for error.
- NBA issues statement saying Chris Paul was fouled before late-game turnover against Warriors 0
- Jim Buss says he’ll step down if Lakers aren’t contenders again in ‘three to four years’ 16
- Thunder start fast, cruise to Game 1 win over Grizzlies 3
- Pacers’ troubles continue as Hawks convincingly win Game 1 32
- Warriors take Game 1 from Clippers 30