Oct 16, 2012, 10:07 AM EST
Things are never dull around Delonte West.
The Dallas Mavericks suspended West from Monday night’s game for “conduct detrimental to the team.” What does that mean? Some kind of outburst, reports ESPNDallas.com.
Sources told ESPNDallas.com that West’s suspension stems at least in part from an outburst in the locker room after the Mavs’ 123-104 preseason win Monday over the Houston Rockets. He had 2 points, 2 assists and 1 rebound in 16 minutes during the win.
West tweeted later Monday: “Sorry moma…” and “I showed off on ur birthday again…”
Coach Rick Carlisle did not provide a timetable for West’s return.
We don’t know what sparked the outburst. We should remind everyone that West suffers from a bipolar disorder, although what, if any, role that played is unclear.
He played a pretty big role for the Mavericks off the bench last season, giving them 9.6 points and 3.2 assists per game with a PER right at the league average of 15.3. They will need that and more from him this year on a team with a smaller margin for error.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 26
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 39
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 57
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28