Oct 16, 2012, 10:07 AM EST
Things are never dull around Delonte West.
The Dallas Mavericks suspended West from Monday night’s game for “conduct detrimental to the team.” What does that mean? Some kind of outburst, reports ESPNDallas.com.
Sources told ESPNDallas.com that West’s suspension stems at least in part from an outburst in the locker room after the Mavs’ 123-104 preseason win Monday over the Houston Rockets. He had 2 points, 2 assists and 1 rebound in 16 minutes during the win.
West tweeted later Monday: “Sorry moma…” and “I showed off on ur birthday again…”
Coach Rick Carlisle did not provide a timetable for West’s return.
We don’t know what sparked the outburst. We should remind everyone that West suffers from a bipolar disorder, although what, if any, role that played is unclear.
He played a pretty big role for the Mavericks off the bench last season, giving them 9.6 points and 3.2 assists per game with a PER right at the league average of 15.3. They will need that and more from him this year on a team with a smaller margin for error.
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 9
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 23
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 53
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 21
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)