Jeremy Lin doesn’t know how this season will turn out, either

Oct 16, 2012, 8:01 AM EDT

source:  There’s been this ridiculous “let’s slam Jeremy Lin anonymously” thing coming out of New York lately, some kind of attempt to spin the frustration of some fans that Lin is now gone to Houston. Tom Ziller of SBN rightly called people out on this.

Part of the argument is “we only had Lin for 25 games, we don’t know how good he really can be.” Hence the risk was too big.

To which a very honest Jeremy Lin responds to Will Leitch in the latest issue of GQ: Yea, I have no idea how this season is going to go, either.

“People are always saying, ‘He’s only started twenty-five games, there’s so many uncertainties.’ And I agree. I totally agree. I don’t know how my next season’s going to turn out. The things that I struggled with before last year, I’m going to struggle with next year—there’s that learning process. Just because you have x amount of good games doesn’t mean that you have drastically improved as a player. It just means that what you could do is finally being shown. But I have to get better.”

Lin is honest like that through the entire article. Usually we expect and even applaud a false bravado from athletes — say you’re the best, say you knew you could do it, say your team can win it all. Lin doesn’t play that game.

For example, did he expect that kind of success last season?

“I’d be a huge liar if I told myself, ‘I knew I could do that.’ You know what I mean? That’s not realistic. Let’s just be honest. I had no idea I could play like that. It was as amazing to me as it was to everybody else.”

Lin also again tells the story of how he ended up in Houston — the Knicks didn’t make him an offer even though he wanted to stay (he raves about Knicks fans), so he talked to other teams. Everyone, including the Rockets, thought the Knicks would match, but Lin will make $14 million for a season in two years and that was too big a poison pill for the Knicks. They walked away. If he knew this is how it would turn out would he have handled things differently?

“I might have been a lot more reserved about everything in free agency,” he says—the implication being that he wouldn’t have sought out the offers. “But the thing about it is, there was no other way to handle the situation. I didn’t get an offer from the Knicks, so I had to go test my market.”

Check out the entire article. Or, just go buy the newsstand edition with Lin on the cover. You know you were going to pick it up anyway, if for no other reason than to leave it on the coffee table when a woman comes over to the apartment.

Latest Posts
  1. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court?

Apr 21, 2015, 12:14 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptrkyze4nmfkytlhmjnjodc4mjk4mgq0nzixowuwndg2 AP

Pierce’s comments made him unpopular north of the border, but his play should bother the Raptors more.

2. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard

Apr 20, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT

Tyson Chandler, Dirk Nowitzki, Dwight Howard Tyson Chandler, Dirk Nowitzki, Dwight Howard

He was simply the most dominant player in Game 1 of the Mavericks vs. Rockets series.

3. Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James

Apr 20, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Charlotte Bobcats - Game Four Getty Images

I could try to use logic and suggest that discussing the complete legacy of Jordan with the incomplete legacy of James is a fool’s errand. But this is the Internet, logic is not always welcome.

4. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge

Apr 20, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT

Kyrie Irving Kyrie Irving

What you want to see as a Boston fan is Smart embrace the challenge.

5. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson

Apr 20, 2015, 5:32 PM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Golden State Warriors - Game One New Orleans Pelicans v Golden State Warriors - Game One

Also, Tyreke Evans is a game-time decision after his injury in the playoff opener.

6. Clippers will rebrand this summer, new potential logos leaked

Apr 20, 2015, 4:06 PM EDT

Screen-shot-2015-04-17-at-10.35.11-PM

The Clippers need a rebranding, but the leaked images are not winning over new fans.

7. Report: One Trail Blazers player gives LaMarcus Aldridge just 50-50 chance of re-signing

Apr 20, 2015, 11:57 AM EDT

Portland Trail Blazers v Memphis Grizzlies - Game One Getty Images

And he’s not the only Portland player worried about Aldridge leaving

Can Michael Carter-Williams slow Derrick Rose?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches