Jeremy Lin doesn’t know how this season will turn out, either

Oct 16, 2012, 8:01 AM EDT

source:  There’s been this ridiculous “let’s slam Jeremy Lin anonymously” thing coming out of New York lately, some kind of attempt to spin the frustration of some fans that Lin is now gone to Houston. Tom Ziller of SBN rightly called people out on this.

Part of the argument is “we only had Lin for 25 games, we don’t know how good he really can be.” Hence the risk was too big.

To which a very honest Jeremy Lin responds to Will Leitch in the latest issue of GQ: Yea, I have no idea how this season is going to go, either.

“People are always saying, ‘He’s only started twenty-five games, there’s so many uncertainties.’ And I agree. I totally agree. I don’t know how my next season’s going to turn out. The things that I struggled with before last year, I’m going to struggle with next year—there’s that learning process. Just because you have x amount of good games doesn’t mean that you have drastically improved as a player. It just means that what you could do is finally being shown. But I have to get better.”

Lin is honest like that through the entire article. Usually we expect and even applaud a false bravado from athletes — say you’re the best, say you knew you could do it, say your team can win it all. Lin doesn’t play that game.

For example, did he expect that kind of success last season?

“I’d be a huge liar if I told myself, ‘I knew I could do that.’ You know what I mean? That’s not realistic. Let’s just be honest. I had no idea I could play like that. It was as amazing to me as it was to everybody else.”

Lin also again tells the story of how he ended up in Houston — the Knicks didn’t make him an offer even though he wanted to stay (he raves about Knicks fans), so he talked to other teams. Everyone, including the Rockets, thought the Knicks would match, but Lin will make $14 million for a season in two years and that was too big a poison pill for the Knicks. They walked away. If he knew this is how it would turn out would he have handled things differently?

“I might have been a lot more reserved about everything in free agency,” he says—the implication being that he wouldn’t have sought out the offers. “But the thing about it is, there was no other way to handle the situation. I didn’t get an offer from the Knicks, so I had to go test my market.”

Check out the entire article. Or, just go buy the newsstand edition with Lin on the cover. You know you were going to pick it up anyway, if for no other reason than to leave it on the coffee table when a woman comes over to the apartment.

1. hartdaddy - Oct 16, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Leave NY outta anything Lin related, they’ve moved on & judging so far…they should be just fine without him. Lin is a Rocket so talk about the friggin Rockets.

2. manchestermiracle - Oct 16, 2012 at 9:53 AM

The kid has certainly got his head screwed on right, even after surviving the zoo of NY. I can’t help but feel this will come back to haunt the Knicks.

3. 00maltliquor - Oct 16, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I don’t know, starting 25 games and beasting out every game pretty much tells you all you need to know. There is no more risk after you see all that. I don’t want to point this out, but I have to, I really wonder if he would get this kind of treatment if he was black. 25 games in last season Kyrie Irving was the savior of Cleveland. Just calling it how I see it…

• SOBEIT - Oct 16, 2012 at 2:21 PM

How many black basketball stars can you name? Now how many Chinese American? But that’s not the only reason why Lin is getting the attention and $$$ that would not be available if he were just another athlete. Novelty has it’s value when there are millions of young Asian/Asian American kids looking to emulate their game after an athlete. But Lin has other qualities people are attracted to…humble, religious (Tebow treatment), underdog, Harvard grad, etc. Linsanity is more than just ethnicity, but not exclusive of ethnicity.

It’s akin to all the 7 footers who are terrible but have a lucrative NBA career because the tape measure says they are special and unique…and nowhere does it say you have to be good.

4. 00maltliquor - Oct 16, 2012 at 1:12 PM

& what’s with the painted on chic pants J Lin!?

5. openseason51 - Oct 16, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Wow! NYC is desperate for any kind of news. Even if it is lame.

• badintent - Oct 17, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Sure, the Giants asswhomping of the 49ers didn’t happen as did the Jets win. Guess you Red Sox fans are bored out of your minds watching Raul hitting HRs in extra innings.Even Celtics losing pre-season games didn’t happen either , eh ? Those bath salts really working for you, Gold hitting $3000 and Mickey Mouse is doing Minka Kelly. How’s Alice and the Mad hatter?

6. LPad - Oct 16, 2012 at 3:16 PM

the Knicks didn’t offer him a contract because they had his Bird rights and the Knicks were over the cap. Unless, Lin would’ve sign a minimum a deal (which he knows he would not have) it would have been a waste of time because Lin would have still shopped around for the best deal he could get and the Knicks could still choose to match. So the I’ve would of been more reserved stuff is nonsense. To be frank, as a Knick fan I’m kind of like whatever to the whole situation. Lin’s not MJ, Magic or Shaq and the situation isn’t much different than Landry Fields moving on to Toronto. There’s no rule the Knicks have to overpay because a guy is a fan favorite.

• lakerfan4life - Oct 16, 2012 at 4:12 PM

That’s not the point. There was certainly nothing wrong with Lin taking the best offer. He supposed to look out for himself, and NY has to do what’s best for the team overall. What’s LOW CLASS about the Knicks, is the constant cheap shots they keep taking against Lin, in order to “justify” why they let him leave. That’s so PETTY. They couldn’t just let him leave and move on. NY is just trying to put the spin out there so that at the end of next season, when they have to explain ANOTHER year of unfulfilled expectations, they’ll be able to say that Jeremy Lin wasn’t the answer. But really, we’ll never know. They were good with him, but they’ll for sure be terrible without him. But really, Jeremy Lin was never the problem, or the solution for those guys.

7. eddit13 - Oct 16, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Same old anti-NY blogs from Kurt. Remember this?

“Honestly, I preferred New York,” Lin said. “But my main goal in free agency was to go to a team that had plans for me and wanted me. I wanted to have fun playing basketball. … Now I’m definitely relieved.”

Let me repeat the key part thrice since Kurt doesn’t want to acknowledge it:

“But my main goal in free agency was to go to a team that had plans for me and wanted me.”

Blogger… he didn’t want to be in NY. PERIOD.

• badintent - Oct 17, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Preach it brother. Kurt was deported from NYC, for fraud and using a fake writer’s ID

8. granadafan - Oct 16, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I wouldn’t want to play with a ball hog like Carmelo Anthony either.

9. thomaskouns - Oct 16, 2012 at 5:36 PM

The Knicks have used him as their personal ‘excuse’ and ‘punching bag’ over the last 3 months.

is Lin overrated – absolutely. But he cares, he tries, he works hard and he doesn’t blame others for his problems.

I hope he a makes it especially to give a big “FU” to all those max contract Knick players who had to blame anyone but themseleves.

10. libertynchurch - Oct 16, 2012 at 6:04 PM

The league desperately needs to replace Yao Ming. China is a huge market. Lin is needed to extend the NBA brand.

It wont be long before the Chinese teams will begin competing with the NBA for top-shelf talent, not just guys extending their careers.

I predict that the NBA will have two teams in China within the next ten years. Lin helps to connect the NBA brand to the Chinese fan. Keep it fresh, and current with a very intelligent, personable Chinese player. Not racial, just good business.

11. tannethrill - Oct 16, 2012 at 6:36 PM

That picture looks like he’s staring on Broadway again…this time in a musical. Are those tights he has on?

12. davidcl77 - Oct 21, 2012 at 9:32 AM

00Maltliquor, beasting out every game? Did you see the Miami game?

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches