D.J. Mbenga arrested for public intoxication in Dallas

Oct 16, 2012, 3:53 PM EDT

Ilunga_Mbenga_Didier

D.J. Mbenga — not on an NBA roster since he was waived two weeks ago by the Mavericks — was arrested in Dallas Monday early Tuesday morning for public intoxication, reports the Dallas Morning News.

Mbenga was reportedly leaving a Dallas area restaurant around 4 a.m. when he ran into some police then ran into some trouble.

As Mbenga was trying to leave the restaurant, two Dallas police officers were walking in.

The 7-1 center put his palm on the chest of one of the cops and said, “You move out of my way.”

The officer stopped and said, “You don’t touch police, let alone make that statement.”

To which Mbenga — perhaps, in hindsight, inadvisably — responded: “You want to go? I do what I want, so you move out of the way!”

Perhaps inadvisably?

The report said it didn’t take long before officers realized the 31-year-old Mbenga was intoxicated. That led to a fun trip to the police station.

There have been rumors of teams (including the Raptors) interested in him, at least as a possibility in case of injury to a player on the roster. This arrest doesn’t really help that cause.

1. brokerhenry - Oct 16, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Damn!!! Why do people get drunk?!?!?! I have nothing against alcohol taken in moderation. I never drank growing up and now I get drunk from cider, so I stay the hell away from it. Alcohol makes people do stupid things. We read every time about athletes getting in trouble due to alcohol. One would think they would have learned by now!!!! Damn it dude, stay away from the stupid sauce!!!!!!! At least he wasn’t driving.

2. sellahh - Oct 16, 2012 at 5:05 PM

I’d pay to see this.

3. bougin89 - Oct 16, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Anyone else just think of the tale of Dikembe Mutumbo walking into a club and saying “Who want to sex Mutumbo” after reading this?

4. beavertonsteve - Oct 16, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Arrest video?

• 00maltliquor - Oct 17, 2012 at 3:21 AM

Bwaaaaaahahahahaha!!! How in the world did you stumble upon that youtube vid!? LMAO

5. lakerluver - Oct 16, 2012 at 5:26 PM

That’s one dude I wouldn’t phuk with!! Gun or no gun!!!

6. nattybroh - Oct 16, 2012 at 7:03 PM

He looks like a character from Space Jam.

• dexterismyhero - Oct 17, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Excellent post!!!

And just think he has to look in a mirror every morning. and see that mug!!!!

Tacos!!!!!

7. michaeljordanseviltwin - Oct 16, 2012 at 7:05 PM

The Mavericks played the Rockets Monday night; Mbenga was arrested outside of a Dallas bar early Tuesday morning. Bars have TVs… bars in Dallas play Mavericks on their TVs. So basically he just got done watching the team that rejected him, had a couple bottles of liquid courage and decided to pick a fight… with a cop. Oh well. He won’t get picked up by anybody now.

8. lew24 - Oct 16, 2012 at 7:57 PM

I think Shaq said he was one of the best centers in the NBA!

9. geraldthecat - Oct 16, 2012 at 8:15 PM

I would have moved

• money2long - Oct 16, 2012 at 10:07 PM

now, is it geraldthecat or geraldthep***y ? :-D

10. money2long - Oct 16, 2012 at 9:37 PM

DJ still celebrating his ’09 championship run with LA.

11. 00maltliquor - Oct 16, 2012 at 11:53 PM

This big, buff, dummy! lol! This fool is a blackbelt in Judo or some shit too, imagine if he was to run into you saying some shit like that!? No way in hell you can let another man punk you that bad, 7”1, muscular as hell with fighting skills… that’s a bad scenario bro! I wouldn’t let him talk to me that way, that’s for damn sure! I would also be laid the F out too, with a new dental plan in the works!

Woodson, D'Antoni's coaching futures