Oct 16, 2012, 3:53 PM EDT
Mbenga was reportedly leaving a Dallas area restaurant around 4 a.m. when he ran into some police then ran into some trouble.
As Mbenga was trying to leave the restaurant, two Dallas police officers were walking in.
The 7-1 center put his palm on the chest of one of the cops and said, “You move out of my way.”
The officer stopped and said, “You don’t touch police, let alone make that statement.”
To which Mbenga — perhaps, in hindsight, inadvisably — responded: “You want to go? I do what I want, so you move out of the way!”
The report said it didn’t take long before officers realized the 31-year-old Mbenga was intoxicated. That led to a fun trip to the police station.
There have been rumors of teams (including the Raptors) interested in him, at least as a possibility in case of injury to a player on the roster. This arrest doesn’t really help that cause.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 34
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11