Oct 16, 2012, 3:38 PM EDT
The Celtics have had a problem this preseason — when Kevin Garnett sits, opposing centers are having a field day. It wasn’t pretty when he rested a game Monday night. Doc Rivers sings the praises of Dark Milicic and Jason Collins as if that is going to solve the problem when the games matter. Not sure I’d bet on that.
Back spasms kept Wilcox out of Monday night’s game against the 76ers. In fact, they’ve kept him out of every C’s preseason game and practice dating back to before their trip to Europe….
“I don’t even know, honestly… The way I look at it, if Eddie [Lacerte, the C's trainer] is talking to me about Wilcox, that means he’s close,” Doc Rivers said Monday. “The fact that he hasn’t mentioned Wilcox’s name over the last four days, means he’s not close.”
Well, that’s not good.
It’s far, far too early for serious concern in Boston. But the quality of backup play defensively in the paint and defense on pick-and-rolls have got to improve if Boston is going to get anywhere near its goals for this season.
- The Al Jefferson Effect: Now that the Bobcats are playoff-bound, how they want their big man to help next 5
- 2014 PBT Awards: Coach of the Year 21
- Carmelo Anthony: “I want to come back…I also want to win.” 40
- Kobe tells Lakers’ fans to “flush” last season, has been cleared to run, shoot, prepare for next season 46
- Duke’s Jabari Parker says he will enter NBA Draft 37