Oct 16, 2012, 3:38 PM EDT
The Celtics have had a problem this preseason — when Kevin Garnett sits, opposing centers are having a field day. It wasn’t pretty when he rested a game Monday night. Doc Rivers sings the praises of Dark Milicic and Jason Collins as if that is going to solve the problem when the games matter. Not sure I’d bet on that.
Back spasms kept Wilcox out of Monday night’s game against the 76ers. In fact, they’ve kept him out of every C’s preseason game and practice dating back to before their trip to Europe….
“I don’t even know, honestly… The way I look at it, if Eddie [Lacerte, the C’s trainer] is talking to me about Wilcox, that means he’s close,” Doc Rivers said Monday. “The fact that he hasn’t mentioned Wilcox’s name over the last four days, means he’s not close.”
Well, that’s not good.
It’s far, far too early for serious concern in Boston. But the quality of backup play defensively in the paint and defense on pick-and-rolls have got to improve if Boston is going to get anywhere near its goals for this season.
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 7
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 22
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 23
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 6
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 20
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 26