Oct 15, 2012, 1:52 AM EST
I can think of 10 million reasons Jose Calderon will not be a Laker.
That rumor — Calderon to the Lakers — got going on twitter over the weekend. Because on twitter nobody has to think about reality or finances, plus this didn’t even have a source. Yet somehow it picked up steam, so let’s be clear:
This is not going to happen. But don’t take my word for it, ESPN’s Marc Stein talked to Calderon’s agent.
For those asking about Calderon-to-Lakers Twitter talk today, Calderon’s agent Mark Bartelstein says: “There’s absolutely nothing to it.”
— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) October 14, 2012
Calderon is set to make just shy of $10.6 million this season. For the Lakers to trade for him they are going to have to get close in matching salaries.
So they can send Toronto Steve Nash, but that’s not going to happen. They could send Toronto Metta World Peace and Jordan Hill, but if you are a rebuilding Toronto squad that doesn’t work for you. How about Steve Blake, Chris Duhon and a future first-round pick… wait, why would Toronto even consider that deal? Blake and Duhon have another year after this on their deals, no way Toronto touches that.
Unless you want to send one of the Lakers big four to Toronto, there is nothing that will entice them.
Also, the Lakers already have a payroll of $99 million, which is $17 million more than the Heat. They are not taking on more salary this season (they are looking to shed a little, actually).
Calderon may well be traded closer to the deadline, but not to the Lakers.
- NBA denies Kings’ protest 2
- Russell Westbrook returns to court tonight for Thunder vs. Knicks 9
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 11
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 8
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 8
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9