Oct 15, 2012, 1:52 AM EDT
I can think of 10 million reasons Jose Calderon will not be a Laker.
That rumor — Calderon to the Lakers — got going on twitter over the weekend. Because on twitter nobody has to think about reality or finances, plus this didn’t even have a source. Yet somehow it picked up steam, so let’s be clear:
This is not going to happen. But don’t take my word for it, ESPN’s Marc Stein talked to Calderon’s agent.
For those asking about Calderon-to-Lakers Twitter talk today, Calderon’s agent Mark Bartelstein says: “There’s absolutely nothing to it.”
— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) October 14, 2012
Calderon is set to make just shy of $10.6 million this season. For the Lakers to trade for him they are going to have to get close in matching salaries.
So they can send Toronto Steve Nash, but that’s not going to happen. They could send Toronto Metta World Peace and Jordan Hill, but if you are a rebuilding Toronto squad that doesn’t work for you. How about Steve Blake, Chris Duhon and a future first-round pick… wait, why would Toronto even consider that deal? Blake and Duhon have another year after this on their deals, no way Toronto touches that.
Unless you want to send one of the Lakers big four to Toronto, there is nothing that will entice them.
Also, the Lakers already have a payroll of $99 million, which is $17 million more than the Heat. They are not taking on more salary this season (they are looking to shed a little, actually).
Calderon may well be traded closer to the deadline, but not to the Lakers.
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 0
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 4
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 21
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 14
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 45
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement