Oct 15, 2012, 5:24 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• There’s a real trend out of New York to try and diffuse the fan frustration over Jeremy Lin leaving by slamming the guy’s game. That included an anonymous source talking to the New York Daily News, which Tom Ziller rightfully called out at SBN. First, a team paying Amare Stoudemire max money can’t complain about injury risks in contracts. Second, leave Lin alone and let your play on the court do the talking. I’m not Raymond Felton‘s biggest fan but if you want to argue he’s better today than Lin, go ahead. But all that’s going to matter is how both play starting the last week of October.
• Speaking of the Nets, one of the best bits of NBA writing on Sunday was Howard Beck of the New York Times saying Joe Johnson deserves a rest from the “iso-Joe” nickname. He’s right. He didn’t play that way in Phoenix, it wasn’t all isolations until he got in Mike Woodson’s offense in Atlanta.
• One last Nets note: Tyshawn Taylor will not play in Monday’s preseason game due to a quad injury.
• There still is no timetable for Eric Gordon‘s return to the Hornets’ lineup. They keep saying he wants to get in some preseason games, but I’m not sold that happens. New Orleans fans should feel a little uncomfortable. Not panicked, but uncomfortable.
• Orlando’s Arron Afflalo is out of the team’s Monday’s preseason game against the Cavs because of a sore hamstring.
• In a sign he is feeling better, Toronto’s Jonas Valanciunas is no longer wearing a compression sleeve over his calf during practices.
• Denver backup point guard Julyan Stone had hip surgery and likely is not back until January. But with Ty Lawson and Andre Miller in front of him, it’s not like he was going to be getting a lot of minutes anyway, but we wish him the best with his recovery.
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 8
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 5
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 11
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 22
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4