Marvel’s new LeBron James comic book is out there. Literally.

Oct 15, 2012, 8:59 PM EDT

LeBron James comic

Honestly, I’m not quite sure what to say here.

We’ll start at the beginning: Marvel and ESPN have teamed up for a new LeBron James comic book, which you can now check out on your iPad or Internet enabled device of choice. This has been in the works for a while and is titled “LeBron: King of the Rings.”

It’s about everything LeBron has to do to keep winning those rings he talked about back at that 2010 pep rally. But it’s played very over-the-top, tongue firmly implanted in cheek, which makes it sort of work for me. I mean, it’s hard to go wrong with zombie Shane Battier. Or Russell Westbrook adding a robot arm. Or.. I don’t want to spoil it, but you get the idea.

I’ll be up front here, my expectations of this were so low it was going to be hard for this to live down to them. It didn’t. Did that make it good? Kind of an “eye of the beholder” thing and as I feel like I’m not the target demographic here so I’m not going to give it a big thumbs up or down. I tend to think Marvel comic characters are more interesting (than say DC) because they are flawed, but that really was not going to happen here. That is not the goal. So it is what it is.

A backhanded compliment of “not as bad as I expected” sounds more fitting for me. You may feel differently one way or the other.

Just check it out for yourself.

1. jjordannba - Oct 15, 2012 at 9:18 PM

King of A Ring

2. rodgersmvp - Oct 15, 2012 at 9:52 PM

I thought it was funny.

3. money2long - Oct 15, 2012 at 10:03 PM

this whole venture just seems a few season too late.

lebron has come up short on winning the champion for a long time until last season’s success. i just wonder how many more commercials, products, shows, generic deals were in the works where a hoard of companies were just waiting for him to win in order to push the “james” name and likeness to do business. anyone think those kobe-lbj puppets would be around today had he won a few seasons ago?

this would be cooler had this been a 23-24 year old champion, more comic book worthy/appropriate than this grown version of lebron who should be more matured and focused. this guy has a beard on the cover.

him getting this deal now seems forced. and king of the rings really? the guys at marvel need to simmer down.

• mlblogsbig3bosox - Oct 15, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Ehmm.. You’re basically saying rookie Lebron should had won the title that year because he’s had a beard since like forever dude…

• money2long - Oct 15, 2012 at 10:50 PM

lol nah im just saying…this has the feel of a 30 year old man still trick or treating.

• sellahh - Oct 16, 2012 at 7:54 AM

I see what you did there. You talk about LeBron needing to be more mature and you go with a line of ‘this guy has a beard on the cover’. Say what?

4. jjordannba - Oct 15, 2012 at 10:11 PM

At least they got the Thick Headband right

5. lakerluver - Oct 15, 2012 at 10:13 PM

@money2long
    Bron Bron had a beard when he was 14. Go LAKERS!!

6. timb12 - Oct 15, 2012 at 10:13 PM

How did he not end up bald? It was pretty funny.

That’s messed up.

7. deadeyedesign23 - Oct 15, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I don’t know I’d call this teaming up. I worked at Marvel for a bit and this custom comic this is pretty common. Minor league baseball teams do it a lot. Pretty much it’s just 3rd parties that come to them and have them produce a comic for a fee. This might be a little different since they’re both subsidiaries of Disney, but point being is that what this likely was was ESPN writing a check to Marvel.

• sellahh - Oct 16, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Yeah, that makes sense, ESPN writing a check so Marvel can get profits off those comicbooks. I’d never come up with this.

• deadeyedesign23 - Oct 16, 2012 at 8:45 AM

I doubt Marvel is profiting from this. It looks like it’s something ESPN the magazine is giving away, which is generally what happens with custom comics. Notice theres no price on the cover.

8. nokoolaidcowboy - Oct 16, 2012 at 6:29 AM

Who buys this crap?

9. ebrownwareagle - Oct 16, 2012 at 8:00 AM

A little Premature if you ask me. The Comic says RINGS! When in fact he only has ONE! Did I miss a championship?

10. metalhead65 - Oct 16, 2012 at 8:11 AM

come on kurt you know you are the demographic they are looking for and you probably have 20 copies of it to add to your lebron shrine at your house.

11. mikejd12 - Oct 16, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Marvel and espn are the key words here. And Lebron will get the heat for this stupidy.

12. Tick - Oct 16, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Hopefully he gets killed by The Punisher by the end of the book.

13. canehouse - Oct 16, 2012 at 12:52 PM

I love it… he is maximizing his capacity for selling. More power to him!! At least he isn’t doing a feature film as a GENIE!

14. openseason51 - Oct 16, 2012 at 2:18 PM

That is just not right. He might be the best right now but that changes and he will be forgotten after he is done. Only a very select few are crowned into the immortality of Professional Basket Ball. I’m not writing about the Hall of Fame which is full of players like Lebron. I’m writing about Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlin, Jerry West, Oscar Robison, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan. They changed the game. Lebron is just the best at the way the current game is played. He has not changed it. He crowned himself as king before he even got his first ring.

15. canehouse - Oct 16, 2012 at 8:42 PM

openseason… so where does Magic Johnson rest in the pantheon of NBA greatness??? How about Hakeem “The Dream”? The “book” on Lebron hasn’t been fully written yet. This comic is obviously something done in fun… it’s not like the Larry O’Brien trophy has been changed to the King James trophy.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches