Oct 15, 2012, 8:59 PM EDT
Honestly, I’m not quite sure what to say here.
We’ll start at the beginning: Marvel and ESPN have teamed up for a new LeBron James comic book, which you can now check out on your iPad or Internet enabled device of choice. This has been in the works for a while and is titled “LeBron: King of the Rings.”
It’s about everything LeBron has to do to keep winning those rings he talked about back at that 2010 pep rally. But it’s played very over-the-top, tongue firmly implanted in cheek, which makes it sort of work for me. I mean, it’s hard to go wrong with zombie Shane Battier. Or Russell Westbrook adding a robot arm. Or.. I don’t want to spoil it, but you get the idea.
I’ll be up front here, my expectations of this were so low it was going to be hard for this to live down to them. It didn’t. Did that make it good? Kind of an “eye of the beholder” thing and as I feel like I’m not the target demographic here so I’m not going to give it a big thumbs up or down. I tend to think Marvel comic characters are more interesting (than say DC) because they are flawed, but that really was not going to happen here. That is not the goal. So it is what it is.
A backhanded compliment of “not as bad as I expected” sounds more fitting for me. You may feel differently one way or the other.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31