Oct 15, 2012, 8:03 AM EDT
You kind of had to expect this after the playoffs last season. Still, we all know how coaches like to talk in training camp — “It’s an open competition, anybody can win the job.” And all that… manure.
That’s what Erik Spoelstra’s been selling about the Heat’s lineups, but I think we can take a couple things away from the Miami Heat’s preseason in China against the Clippers.
For one, Shane Battier is the other starting forward on the Heat. For another, the point guard position remains a question mark.
With the former, Battier started in the playoffs for the Heat, technically at the four spot although he and LeBron James traded roles on the court at times. As Ira Winderman noted at the Sun-Sentinel, Battier seems to be picking up where he left off.
For the third time in as many exhibitions, Battier started at power forward… The team’s other options are Udonis Haslem, offseason free-agent acquisition Rashard Lewis or a move back to forward by Bosh, who appears entrenched as the starting center.
Of that group, Battier gives you more consistent play at both ends of the floor — he can defend, hit the three and play smart. The other two have deficiencies on offense or defense.
As for point guard, Norris Cole has started all three games while Mario Chalmers nurses a poor hamstring. This was Cole’s chance to show he could do the job, but he has struggled with turnovers, and that’s not how a point guard keeps his job. Chalmers may get to keep his spot.
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 8
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 24
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6