Oct 15, 2012, 8:03 AM EST
You kind of had to expect this after the playoffs last season. Still, we all know how coaches like to talk in training camp — “It’s an open competition, anybody can win the job.” And all that… manure.
That’s what Erik Spoelstra’s been selling about the Heat’s lineups, but I think we can take a couple things away from the Miami Heat’s preseason in China against the Clippers.
For one, Shane Battier is the other starting forward on the Heat. For another, the point guard position remains a question mark.
With the former, Battier started in the playoffs for the Heat, technically at the four spot although he and LeBron James traded roles on the court at times. As Ira Winderman noted at the Sun-Sentinel, Battier seems to be picking up where he left off.
For the third time in as many exhibitions, Battier started at power forward… The team’s other options are Udonis Haslem, offseason free-agent acquisition Rashard Lewis or a move back to forward by Bosh, who appears entrenched as the starting center.
Of that group, Battier gives you more consistent play at both ends of the floor — he can defend, hit the three and play smart. The other two have deficiencies on offense or defense.
As for point guard, Norris Cole has started all three games while Mario Chalmers nurses a poor hamstring. This was Cole’s chance to show he could do the job, but he has struggled with turnovers, and that’s not how a point guard keeps his job. Chalmers may get to keep his spot.
- Where I call out Dan Patrick, Charles Barkley for sounding like old men asking, “When did basketball get so bad?” 1
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 9
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 10
- Monday night NBA Grades: DeMarcus Cousins was in beast mode 3
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 5
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)