Oct 15, 2012, 4:32 PM EST
Every athlete goes through slumps. How they deal with it changes.
Some guys need a slump buster. Some guys talk to confidants. A lot of just simply try to practice their way out of it and get their confidence back — they take more shooting reps after practice.
Or, some guys lose it, like Andris Biedrins of Golden State. Sports Illustrated’s Chris Ballard did a fantastic profile of Biedrins last week talking about the downward spiral of his confidence at the free throw line and eventually in his entire game.
How do you bust out of that. Steve Kerr once tried facial hair. That’s what he told David Aldridge at NBA.com (in his must-read Monday Morning Tips column).
“I remember growing a goatee one time,” Kerr said. “It sounds crazy, but I grew a goatee. I wrote the letters F.I. on my shoes, for [bleep] it. I went out there and said I’m going to shoot every time. I probably wasn’t as confident as other guys. A guy like Jordan, I don’t think he ever had a problem with something like that. Most mortals, you’ve got to train your mind just like you train your body.”
I bet Tim Duncan didn’t call Kerr on it. I bet Michael Jordan would have.
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 10
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 5
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 30
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0