Oct 15, 2012, 4:32 PM EDT
Every athlete goes through slumps. How they deal with it changes.
Some guys need a slump buster. Some guys talk to confidants. A lot of just simply try to practice their way out of it and get their confidence back — they take more shooting reps after practice.
Or, some guys lose it, like Andris Biedrins of Golden State. Sports Illustrated’s Chris Ballard did a fantastic profile of Biedrins last week talking about the downward spiral of his confidence at the free throw line and eventually in his entire game.
How do you bust out of that. Steve Kerr once tried facial hair. That’s what he told David Aldridge at NBA.com (in his must-read Monday Morning Tips column).
“I remember growing a goatee one time,” Kerr said. “It sounds crazy, but I grew a goatee. I wrote the letters F.I. on my shoes, for [bleep] it. I went out there and said I’m going to shoot every time. I probably wasn’t as confident as other guys. A guy like Jordan, I don’t think he ever had a problem with something like that. Most mortals, you’ve got to train your mind just like you train your body.”
I bet Tim Duncan didn’t call Kerr on it. I bet Michael Jordan would have.
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 0
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 9
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 23
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 14
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 71
- Mario Chalmers: “I never thought anybody would want to leave Miami for Cleveland” 68