Oct 15, 2012, 4:32 PM EDT
Every athlete goes through slumps. How they deal with it changes.
Some guys need a slump buster. Some guys talk to confidants. A lot of just simply try to practice their way out of it and get their confidence back — they take more shooting reps after practice.
Or, some guys lose it, like Andris Biedrins of Golden State. Sports Illustrated’s Chris Ballard did a fantastic profile of Biedrins last week talking about the downward spiral of his confidence at the free throw line and eventually in his entire game.
How do you bust out of that. Steve Kerr once tried facial hair. That’s what he told David Aldridge at NBA.com (in his must-read Monday Morning Tips column).
“I remember growing a goatee one time,” Kerr said. “It sounds crazy, but I grew a goatee. I wrote the letters F.I. on my shoes, for [bleep] it. I went out there and said I’m going to shoot every time. I probably wasn’t as confident as other guys. A guy like Jordan, I don’t think he ever had a problem with something like that. Most mortals, you’ve got to train your mind just like you train your body.”
I bet Tim Duncan didn’t call Kerr on it. I bet Michael Jordan would have.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 10
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 30
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 84
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 54
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4