Oct 15, 2012, 4:32 PM EDT
Every athlete goes through slumps. How they deal with it changes.
Some guys need a slump buster. Some guys talk to confidants. A lot of just simply try to practice their way out of it and get their confidence back — they take more shooting reps after practice.
Or, some guys lose it, like Andris Biedrins of Golden State. Sports Illustrated’s Chris Ballard did a fantastic profile of Biedrins last week talking about the downward spiral of his confidence at the free throw line and eventually in his entire game.
How do you bust out of that. Steve Kerr once tried facial hair. That’s what he told David Aldridge at NBA.com (in his must-read Monday Morning Tips column).
“I remember growing a goatee one time,” Kerr said. “It sounds crazy, but I grew a goatee. I wrote the letters F.I. on my shoes, for [bleep] it. I went out there and said I’m going to shoot every time. I probably wasn’t as confident as other guys. A guy like Jordan, I don’t think he ever had a problem with something like that. Most mortals, you’ve got to train your mind just like you train your body.”
I bet Tim Duncan didn’t call Kerr on it. I bet Michael Jordan would have.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47