Oct 15, 2012, 12:38 PM EDT
What about JaVale McGee, who the Nuggets paid big money to keep this summer? Well, he has looked like JaVale Mcgee — some great shot blocks and moments of inspired play, but up and down. He will make $10 million this season in the first of a four-year, $44 million deal.
Nuggets coach George Karl told Benjamin Hochman of the Denver Post minutes will go to the guys that earn them. So, Karl, who gets the most minutes?
“I have no idea. The perfect scenario would be that JaVale would get (minutes) in the high 20s and Kosta and Timo in the low 20s, but I’m not going to predict anything. I’m going to go coach to win games, not to play big guys.”
When pressed about McGee being Denver’s big-money signing this summer, Karl got fired up. “You think that’s ever influenced me? You think I give a (darn) about what they make? You honestly think that bothers (me)? The only time it’s good to know what the players make is to demand they play like a $10 million player,” Karl said.
What Karl has with this Denver roster is depth. Really, depth and versatility — two things very dangerous in the veteran coach’s hands. He can go big, go small, go with offense or defense, whatever causes the most matchup problems.
And he can go with the hot hand. Which is what we might see a lot at the five spot. When he’s on his game, McGee can be one of the best big men in the game, but on the nights when he takes a mental vacation Karl has options. Good options.
The Denver Nuggets are going to be the NBA’s must-watch team this season — fast paced and entertaining every night. And McGee is part of that — if nothing else, he is consistently entertaining.
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 18
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 15
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 13
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 52
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 60
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 89
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20