Oct 15, 2012, 12:38 PM EDT
What about JaVale McGee, who the Nuggets paid big money to keep this summer? Well, he has looked like JaVale Mcgee — some great shot blocks and moments of inspired play, but up and down. He will make $10 million this season in the first of a four-year, $44 million deal.
Nuggets coach George Karl told Benjamin Hochman of the Denver Post minutes will go to the guys that earn them. So, Karl, who gets the most minutes?
“I have no idea. The perfect scenario would be that JaVale would get (minutes) in the high 20s and Kosta and Timo in the low 20s, but I’m not going to predict anything. I’m going to go coach to win games, not to play big guys.”
When pressed about McGee being Denver’s big-money signing this summer, Karl got fired up. “You think that’s ever influenced me? You think I give a (darn) about what they make? You honestly think that bothers (me)? The only time it’s good to know what the players make is to demand they play like a $10 million player,” Karl said.
What Karl has with this Denver roster is depth. Really, depth and versatility — two things very dangerous in the veteran coach’s hands. He can go big, go small, go with offense or defense, whatever causes the most matchup problems.
And he can go with the hot hand. Which is what we might see a lot at the five spot. When he’s on his game, McGee can be one of the best big men in the game, but on the nights when he takes a mental vacation Karl has options. Good options.
The Denver Nuggets are going to be the NBA’s must-watch team this season — fast paced and entertaining every night. And McGee is part of that — if nothing else, he is consistently entertaining.
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 12
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 22
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 79
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 10
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 14
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38