Oct 15, 2012, 9:49 AM EDT
When it comes to Andrew Bynum’s knees, I’m not sure anything can be considered “routine.”
But that is the word the 76ers are using to describe another procedure Bynum is about to have done to his knee. The one with the bone bruise following his last procedure that has kept him out of training camp and team workouts so far. From Dei Lynam at CSNPhilly.com.
According to a source close to the situation but not authorized to speak for the team, Bynum will undergo a previously scheduled procedure that puts fluid, or as many call it “motor oil” into the knee. That fluid will act as a joint lubricator. It is a common procedure, given by injection that minimizes pain often associated with knee arthritis.
Bynum’s official timetable continues to be late October, in time for him to be there for the Sixers at the start of the season. You read this quote from coach Doug Collins a couple weeks before the first game and see if you think that’s accurate.
“He says he is feeling better,” Doug Collins said after Sunday’s practice session. “Eventually he is going to get running on the treadmill and that will be a huge step. We have a new anti-gravity machine which can take up to 80 percent of your body weight off, so you can get over there and run and only be hitting 20 percent of your body weight. You can move it up little by little. That is going to be the next step for him.”
I have no doubt Bynum will be back before too many regular season games are lost and I hope he gets to play the rest of the season from when he does step on a court. Mostly because more Bynum means less Kwame Brown, and that’s good for all of us.
But if he’s not even on the anti-gravity treadmill yet, you think he’ll be ready for game action in a couple weeks?
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 0
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 1
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 27
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 30
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17