Andrew Bynum to have another “routine” injection in knee

Oct 15, 2012, 9:49 AM EST

Andrew Bynum AP

When it comes to Andrew Bynum’s knees, I’m not sure anything can be considered “routine.”

But that is the word the 76ers are using to describe another procedure Bynum is about to have done to his knee. The one with the bone bruise following his last procedure that has kept him out of training camp and team workouts so far. From Dei Lynam at CSNPhilly.com.

According to a source close to the situation but not authorized to speak for the team, Bynum will undergo a previously scheduled procedure that puts fluid, or as many call it “motor oil” into the knee. That fluid will act as a joint lubricator. It is a common procedure, given by injection that minimizes pain often associated with knee arthritis.

Bynum’s official timetable continues to be late October, in time for him to be there for the Sixers at the start of the season. You read this quote from coach Doug Collins a couple weeks before the first game and see if you think that’s accurate.

“He says he is feeling better,” Doug Collins said after Sunday’s practice session. “Eventually he is going to get running on the treadmill and that will be a huge step. We have a new anti-gravity machine which can take up to 80 percent of your body weight off, so you can get over there and run and only be hitting 20 percent of your body weight. You can move it up little by little. That is going to be the next step for him.”

I have no doubt Bynum will be back before too many regular season games are lost and I hope he gets to play the rest of the season from when he does step on a court. Mostly because more Bynum means less Kwame Brown, and that’s good for all of us.

But if he’s not even on the anti-gravity treadmill yet, you think he’ll be ready for game action in a couple weeks?

1. AlohaMrHand - Oct 15, 2012 at 10:18 AM

I wonder with the combination of an nba players size,wear and tear from running and daily activity on their knees plus these injections just how messed up their knees turn out when their playing days are over.I imagine guys like Shaq and Kareem can’t go a day without their knees just killing them.

2. echech88 - Oct 15, 2012 at 11:23 AM

If I remember correctly, he also had this injection done during the All Star break last year.

Never can be too comfortable with his knees but this particular procedure I believe is just maintenance and/or preventative heading into the year. He probably just wants to be 100% for his first impression.

3. amlowlife - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I’ve had the “lubrication injection” on my knee and the procedure itself isn’t a big deal. They apply a local anesthetic and stick a fairly thin needle directly between the knee joints. There’s usually some swelling afterwards but it’s just the lube settling in. That part is no big deal although it does take awhile for the swelling to go down.

However, what it means is the dude has no cartilage–the lube is a temporary replacement for that–so will continue to have knee issues here on out. A long term contract with him is risky, at best. I wouldn’t get my hopes too high on Bynum being a force for Philly for any extended length of time.

• money2long - Oct 15, 2012 at 1:58 PM

lol……lube.

4. succulentnipples - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:07 PM

You shouldn’t do anything without lube.

5. mungman69 - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I had that procedure done on my knee. It worked fine BUT it took me a long time to get back in shape. I am quite a bit older than Bynam so he should be ok.

6. tsi431 - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Dear 76ers,

Sorry.

Lakers.

• money2long - Oct 15, 2012 at 5:40 PM

the 3rd grade golden rule:
      …no take backs.

• tfoz5150 - Oct 15, 2012 at 9:22 PM

goodluck with your squad too. reminds me of shades of 2004. Unity…

7. stayhigh_247 - Oct 16, 2012 at 12:16 AM

dam, they go out and buy a Porshe thats won 2 championship races, but they still can’t take it for a test drive to see if it can still go. at first they said it only needed a tune up, now they say it just needs an oil change… I would be concerned as a Sixer fan. The Lakers dont know what they have either, but at least they can cruise around the block albeit slow..

8. manotas211 - Oct 16, 2012 at 1:41 AM

I’m glad the Lakers got Howard in return for Bynum. Thanks Philly. Succulentnipples I hope your a girl. Cuz if not I don’t know about that user name.

• badintent - Oct 16, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Damn ! U nailed it !

9. numba1recx19 - Oct 16, 2012 at 1:41 AM

He shouldn’t have played with that torn meniscus…..

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches