Oct 15, 2012, 6:26 PM EDT
I’m not going to make the easy jokes here, even though they kind of write themselves. Because really, this is a good move.
The Sacramento Kings have reached a new sponsorship deal that will rename the Kings home the Sleep Train Arena, with the Sleep Train Mattress Centers as the new sponsors. We told you before this could be coming and that Sleep Train would replace bankrupt Power Balance as the arena name.
“We are pleased to partner with the Sacramento Kings,” Dale Carlsen, founder and CEO of Sleep Train, said in a released statement. “Our team of employee-owners is committed to playing a vital role in the communities we serve. This sponsorship aligns with our interest in keeping a vibrant atmosphere of music, sports and entertainment in our region, and allows us to broaden the reach of our Foster Kids program through greater awareness and donation events.”
If you’re back East, know that here out West Sleep Train is a well-known company with more than 250 stores.
Yes, the lowly Kings and Sleep Train is kind of a humor softball, but this is a good move. First, at least Sleep Train is a respected company. The former arena sponsor, Power Balance, made those wristbands reported to improve balance and stamina but mostly just resulted in a whole lot of fraud lawsuits, which led to company financial problems. Plus the mocking. (Before that it was Arco arena for many years.)
In addition, this is a local company trying to step up and both do good in the community and maybe try to keep the Kings in Sacramento. That’s a good thing.
Not that we trust the Maloof family that owns the Kings. They have blocked attempts to build a new arena and have gone from saying this building can’t be salvaged to suggesting it be renovated. They are looking for someone to build them an arena then let them come in as majority team owners and rake in the profits from said building. If the fans in Sacramento get screwed in the process, so be it.
However, that’s not on the people at Sleep Train. Good on them for stepping up.
But we can’t promise to avoid any sleep-related Kings jokes all season. We’re only human.
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 10
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 7
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 10
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 7
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8
- Report: Becky Hammon gaining traction around the NBA as “serious” head-coaching candidate 42
- Gregg Popovich discusses three-point shot, changing roles for bigs in NBA 4