Oct 15, 2012, 1:03 PM EST
Is LaMarcus Aldridge a real No. 1 guy for an NBA team?
How you answer that question determines what you think the Blazers need to be doing as they restructure the roster. If you think he is a Kevin Garnett, Dirk Nowitzki, Dwight Howard you can build a contender around, then the Blazers should be fitting pieces around him. If you think he is a No. 2 guy — a Pau Gasol, Chris Bosh type that is very good but needs to be the second option on a contender — then the Blazers need to be in the market for one of those guys.
There is no question where Aldridge thinks he falls on that list. From Chris Haynes at CSNNW.com.
“I think every team in this league feels that I’m a number one and that’s why they double-team me and they scheme me the way they do it,” Aldridge told CSNNW.com. “If I wasn’t a number one, teams wouldn’t double-team me and teams wouldn’t try to take me out.
“So I don’t think there’s no need to bring in a number one. This organization can do whatever they want to do, but I think it’s definitely good to keep putting really solid pieces around myself, Dame [Lillard], Meyers [Leonard], and J.J. [Hickson]. But I don’t think it’s no need to bring in a number one, but if they do, I’ll play my role.”
Seven seasons into Aldridge’s career, he’s an All-Star who can bring you an efficient 21 and 8 every night. I think a lot of people around the nation, who don’t see the Blazers regularly, don’t realize just how good a player he is.
But he needs a No. 1 up there in Portland to go with him. Sorry. They have some interesting young pieces up in Portland with rookie Damian Lillard and the potential of J.J. Hickson, but even as they develop this team strikes me as the Pau Gasol Grizzlies. A team a piece away.
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 6
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 0
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 18
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 14
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)