Oct 15, 2012, 1:03 PM EDT
Is LaMarcus Aldridge a real No. 1 guy for an NBA team?
How you answer that question determines what you think the Blazers need to be doing as they restructure the roster. If you think he is a Kevin Garnett, Dirk Nowitzki, Dwight Howard you can build a contender around, then the Blazers should be fitting pieces around him. If you think he is a No. 2 guy — a Pau Gasol, Chris Bosh type that is very good but needs to be the second option on a contender — then the Blazers need to be in the market for one of those guys.
There is no question where Aldridge thinks he falls on that list. From Chris Haynes at CSNNW.com.
“I think every team in this league feels that I’m a number one and that’s why they double-team me and they scheme me the way they do it,” Aldridge told CSNNW.com. “If I wasn’t a number one, teams wouldn’t double-team me and teams wouldn’t try to take me out.
“So I don’t think there’s no need to bring in a number one. This organization can do whatever they want to do, but I think it’s definitely good to keep putting really solid pieces around myself, Dame [Lillard], Meyers [Leonard], and J.J. [Hickson]. But I don’t think it’s no need to bring in a number one, but if they do, I’ll play my role.”
Seven seasons into Aldridge’s career, he’s an All-Star who can bring you an efficient 21 and 8 every night. I think a lot of people around the nation, who don’t see the Blazers regularly, don’t realize just how good a player he is.
But he needs a No. 1 up there in Portland to go with him. Sorry. They have some interesting young pieces up in Portland with rookie Damian Lillard and the potential of J.J. Hickson, but even as they develop this team strikes me as the Pau Gasol Grizzlies. A team a piece away.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 31
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23