Tracy McGrady bids goodbye to NBA fans on FaceBook

Oct 14, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT

Tracy McGrady Getty Images

T-Mac has left the league he excited, dominated, disappointed, and called home for over a decade. He’s headed to China, and in that decision comes a departure from the NBA which he has been a part of the tapestry of his entire career. McGrady took to FaceBook recently to thank some people and some fans. From his FaceBook posting:

There are times in life that a new road presents itself and it appears this time has come for me now. I am so proud of what I have accomplished these past 15 years playing in the NBA. It was a dream entering the league as I just turned 18 years old. I worked hard and poured my heart and soul into this game. I consider myself a student of the game as I have watched, studied and played with and against the best players in the world. The NBA was my University and I learned so much. The gratitude I feel is really immeasurable. I have experienced the best moments a player can experience and have had some dark ones too. Both equally important in helping shape me into the man I am today.

As I leave the league for now, there have been so many profound people who inspired me along my way. I have to say thank you for guiding me and having an enormous influence on the way I played basketball. Isaiah Thomas, Rich Devos, Leslie Alexander and John Gabriel, you believed in me and I thank you. Jeff Van Gundy, you exemplified the brilliance of what a great coach is. Steven A. Smith, you gave us players a voice and for that I thank you. Doug Christy, Charles Oakley, Dee Brown, Mugsy Bogues, Antonio Davis, Dell Curry, Kevin Willis, you all showed a young kid from Auburndale Florida how to be a better player. Kobe, you made me work harder and it was an honor to play against you. And Yao, we shared an experience together that will always be with me, thank you. Sonny & Pam Vaccarro showed me how there is loyalty and genuine friendship in this business. Arn Tellem and Tim Hoy, 15 years and you are still my agents. Thank you for guiding me throughout my career. When all is said and done, there is so many that made an impact on my life. I am one blessed man to have the love and never ending support of my wife CleRenda and the best 4 kids a man can ask for. But most important, I give glory and thanks to God. It is thru Him that I have been so blessed and I am forever thankful.

As I enter this next chapter, I am excited to play for Qingdao Eagles in China. I have been to China several times in the last few years and I love the people and the country. It will be an honor to play for them. Thank you to every fan that has followed me and believed in me. Injuries and all, I wouldn’t have changed a thing. I am proud of the mark I left on this game and am grateful to have been a part this league. It was a dream to play in front of all of you, each night, in every stadium. Thank you.

Tmac

via There are times in….

Pretty classy by McGrady, and the fact that Isiah Thomas remains such a positive figure in players’ lives should say something about his influence on the league.

McGrady is going to be a monster star in China, he already had a huge following there based off the Rockets’ popularity during the Yao Ming era. There are already photos on his Facebook page showing a crowd welcoming him. It’s a different world but not a bad way to make a living and expand his business prospects. But it doesn’t change the loss of McGrady from a historical perspective. He was a huge part of this league for much of the early 00’s and while he’ll be most remembered for the playoff humiliations of the Rockets teams, his MVP-caliber time with Orlando shouldn’t be overlooked.

Either way, McGrady’s gone, for real, and finally.

Latest Posts
  1. Golden State picks up 60th win, clinches top seed in the West

Mar 29, 2015, 12:26 AM EDT

Steve Kerr, Stephen Curry AP

The Golden State Warriors are the team to beat out West.

2. NBA, Pacers issue statement in response to Indiana’s Religious Freedom Restoration Act law

Mar 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Adam Silver AP

Legislation was signed into law in Indiana last week, and has been criticized as one that could legalize discrimination.

3. Hawks to rest all five starters Saturday after clinching East’s top seed

Mar 28, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks Media Day Getty Images

Hornets, still fighting for a playoff spot, catch a break.

4. Stan Van Gundy: ‘Absolutely no chance’ Magic induct him into team Hall of Fame

Mar 28, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT

Stan Van Gundy Stan Van Gundy

Van Gundy coached five seasons in Orlando, but was fired after the way the Dwight Howard debacle played out.

5. Warriors coach Steve Kerr: ‘I would vote for Russell Westbrook’ for MVP

Mar 28, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

Kerr was joking, and making light of a mini-controversy that occurred recently with the Cavaliers.

6. Earl Clark signs 10-day contract with Nets, contributes to win over Cavaliers

Mar 28, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

Clark played key bench minutes the same day he was signed.

7. Stephen Curry scores 38 in Warriors’ blowout win over Grizzlies (VIDEO)

Mar 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT

Stephen Curry AP

Warriors keep rolling, while the Grizzlies are starting to feel like a first round loss.

8. Kevin Love finds LeBron James for huge alley-oop slam (VIDEO)

Mar 28, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT

LeBron James AP

Highlight-reel play came near the end of a loss to the Nets.

9. LeBron after Cavaliers fall to Nets: ‘You don’t chalk up losses’

Mar 27, 2015, 11:44 PM EDT

LeBron James AP

LeBron refused to be dismissive of a seemingly harmless regular season loss.

10. Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers

Mar 27, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT

Orlando Magic add Shaquille O'Neal to team's Hall of Fame Getty Images

O’Neal made the remarks while being inducted into the Orlando Magic Hall of Fame.

11. Draymond Green launches “It’s cool Glen” line of T-shirts in latest banter between him, Doc Rivers

Mar 27, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT

b2644bf0-d4c9-11e4-bb85-27743e449672_csg

The battle between Green and Doc Rivers continues in the funniest of ways.

12. Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’

Mar 27, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Cleveland Cavaliers - Game 1 Getty Images

Blatt knows James is unlikely to get the league-wide award this season.

13. No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble.

Mar 27, 2015, 6:12 PM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Denver Nuggets Oklahoma City Thunder v Denver Nuggets

The Thunder defense has become a mess, which is bad for the playoffs.

14. Report: UNLV freshman guard Rashad Vaughn to enter NBA draft; Vaughn denies it

Mar 27, 2015, 4:32 PM EDT

San Jose State v UNLV Getty Images

He is likely a middle second round pick if he comes out.

Where does Steve Nash rank all-time?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches