Tracy McGrady bids goodbye to NBA fans on FaceBook

Oct 14, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT

Tracy McGrady Getty Images

T-Mac has left the league he excited, dominated, disappointed, and called home for over a decade. He’s headed to China, and in that decision comes a departure from the NBA which he has been a part of the tapestry of his entire career. McGrady took to FaceBook recently to thank some people and some fans. From his FaceBook posting:

There are times in life that a new road presents itself and it appears this time has come for me now. I am so proud of what I have accomplished these past 15 years playing in the NBA. It was a dream entering the league as I just turned 18 years old. I worked hard and poured my heart and soul into this game. I consider myself a student of the game as I have watched, studied and played with and against the best players in the world. The NBA was my University and I learned so much. The gratitude I feel is really immeasurable. I have experienced the best moments a player can experience and have had some dark ones too. Both equally important in helping shape me into the man I am today.

As I leave the league for now, there have been so many profound people who inspired me along my way. I have to say thank you for guiding me and having an enormous influence on the way I played basketball. Isaiah Thomas, Rich Devos, Leslie Alexander and John Gabriel, you believed in me and I thank you. Jeff Van Gundy, you exemplified the brilliance of what a great coach is. Steven A. Smith, you gave us players a voice and for that I thank you. Doug Christy, Charles Oakley, Dee Brown, Mugsy Bogues, Antonio Davis, Dell Curry, Kevin Willis, you all showed a young kid from Auburndale Florida how to be a better player. Kobe, you made me work harder and it was an honor to play against you. And Yao, we shared an experience together that will always be with me, thank you. Sonny & Pam Vaccarro showed me how there is loyalty and genuine friendship in this business. Arn Tellem and Tim Hoy, 15 years and you are still my agents. Thank you for guiding me throughout my career. When all is said and done, there is so many that made an impact on my life. I am one blessed man to have the love and never ending support of my wife CleRenda and the best 4 kids a man can ask for. But most important, I give glory and thanks to God. It is thru Him that I have been so blessed and I am forever thankful.

As I enter this next chapter, I am excited to play for Qingdao Eagles in China. I have been to China several times in the last few years and I love the people and the country. It will be an honor to play for them. Thank you to every fan that has followed me and believed in me. Injuries and all, I wouldn’t have changed a thing. I am proud of the mark I left on this game and am grateful to have been a part this league. It was a dream to play in front of all of you, each night, in every stadium. Thank you.

Tmac

via There are times in….

Pretty classy by McGrady, and the fact that Isiah Thomas remains such a positive figure in players’ lives should say something about his influence on the league.

McGrady is going to be a monster star in China, he already had a huge following there based off the Rockets’ popularity during the Yao Ming era. There are already photos on his Facebook page showing a crowd welcoming him. It’s a different world but not a bad way to make a living and expand his business prospects. But it doesn’t change the loss of McGrady from a historical perspective. He was a huge part of this league for much of the early 00′s and while he’ll be most remembered for the playoff humiliations of the Rockets teams, his MVP-caliber time with Orlando shouldn’t be overlooked.

Either way, McGrady’s gone, for real, and finally.

1. omeezyx - Oct 14, 2012 at 11:07 AM

13 points in 35 seconds. This guy was a monster!!if it weren’t for injuries this guy would still be balling at a high level

2. frankenderek - Oct 14, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Hold on a minute here………his wife’s name is CleRenda??? I could only imagine how that conversation happened between her parents.

• guyaneserj - Oct 15, 2012 at 7:02 AM

LOL..

3. kvanhorn87 - Oct 14, 2012 at 11:23 AM

No mention of Howard or vinsanity. That says a lot about them when he is releasing such a classy statement.

4. bossaliniee - Oct 14, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Good luck Tmac it was a pleasure to watch u, especially in the beginning years. The man was unguardable, just the injures piled up.

5. yourfutureanalyst1 - Oct 14, 2012 at 11:39 AM

My ALL TIME FAVORITE player!! I’ll always remember you for being an ALL AROUND great player!! For all the 20-5-5 years of brilliant basketball that you gave us, and the world will NEVER forget the greatest come back in NBA history when you single handedly brought the Houston Rockets back from being down 12pts to win the game, scoring 13pts in 30+ seconds. You are truly a talent man!! Best wishes in China.. Give em hell T-Mac!!

6. coasttocoast12 - Oct 14, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Kobe,T-Mac,Iverson,Carter,Kidd.. those were the guys that made me follow NBA, and now 2 of ‘em are gone, others will problably retire soon. Even though T-Mac was not even close to his best years i still watched whatever team he played on. I still remember his Orlando days, a great player in my eyes.

Good luck to him in China.

7. ohsoblessed1 - Oct 14, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Tmac is a cool dude. I met him at the YMCA in my hood in Texas where our sons play on the lil league basketball team and he and his wife were very normal and down to earth. His lil dude had a nice jumper too.

8. maddogg911 - Oct 14, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Tracy, your giving yourself too much credit, no need to post all this on facebook, no one cares that your leaving.

• dls612 - Oct 14, 2012 at 12:24 PM

U care enough to post a comment! Real NBA fans know it was a pleasure seeing him play!

• 00maltliquor - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I don’t know about all that maddogg 20/20, T Mac was wildly popular. This guy was still being voted into the All Star game even when he wasn’t playing a few years back.

• 24thesho - Oct 15, 2012 at 7:29 AM

I clicked on your “thumbs up” by mistake. Sir, you are a total a__! And, probably can’t play any sport.

9. money2long - Oct 14, 2012 at 12:20 PM

aw he thanked kobe. kobe must feel good reading that.

• money2long - Oct 14, 2012 at 12:23 PM

i bring this up as significance not because i love kobe, but it appears as if kobe is the only person tmac acknowledged who is a current nba player.

10. livingsacrifice86 - Oct 14, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I’ll never forget those 13 points in 39 seconds

11. sfm073 - Oct 14, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Is he that desperate for money that he is either leaving his family or moving his family to the other side of the world?

• money2long - Oct 14, 2012 at 12:42 PM

desperate for money or desperate to continue playing competitive basketball? although, some would mock the level of competition in china, but regardless, that is still the case. if tmac was money hungry, he wouldn’t have been okay with accepting veteran minimum deals to stay in the nba. unfortunately, no GM committed.

12. buffalo65 - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:29 PM

No mention of his cuz??? Vince will be upset.

• badintent - Oct 15, 2012 at 1:22 AM

T-mac couldn’t play or get along with coz Carter OR his Uncle, the head coach of the Raptors.Pathetic. Better like Dim Sum .

• badintent - Oct 19, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Reality check gets mucho thumbs down, guess you guys are all 15 years old and couldn’t read a newspaper at the time ( yes before the internet , we read mags and papers), T-mac was a bad actor in Toronto and his own uncle called him out over and over to grow up. I recommend the Hunan duck T-mac, it reminds me of you …. if it quack like a duck , looks like a duck……………………………….nice your agent writes well for you.

13. 00maltliquor - Oct 14, 2012 at 1:51 PM

That was a pretty cool open letter by T Mac. I respect it.

I loved T Mac, was one of my favorite players ever. Sad that that’s it for him in the NBA to me. Now I feel suuuper old that a second generation of players I watched are phasing out…Shaq, A.I., T Mac, etc. Good luck in China, Tracy.

14. numba1recx19 - Oct 14, 2012 at 2:04 PM

He will be back

• dysraw1 - Oct 21, 2012 at 5:52 PM

lets hope so

15. libertynchurch - Oct 14, 2012 at 2:43 PM

TMac writes as if China was on the planet Mars! TMac will be remembered all round the world, as a true Baller! One day,soon, the NBA will go multi-continent, and he will be seen as a pioneer. He should invest in his Chinese club, and get a chance at becoming an owner in the new, Worldwide Basketball Association. Flip the script. Do what China is doing to us, lol. Seize the opportunity!

16. londonps - Oct 14, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Hof, glad he thanked Kobe they pushed each other

17. lakerluver - Oct 14, 2012 at 4:24 PM

The guy was a top 5 player in the NBA for a few seasons. Best wishes, T-Mac!

18. jjordannba - Oct 14, 2012 at 5:29 PM

T-Mac man, he coulda been one of the best of this decade.. right up there with Kobe and Lebron. Now it looks like the light is on Durant to be the next guy.

19. cosanostra71 - Oct 14, 2012 at 5:36 PM

you’re the man T-Mac!

20. briggsweatbird - Oct 14, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Who?

21. e39er - Oct 14, 2012 at 8:05 PM

One of my generations best player…inspired me to pick up basketball as one of my fav sports, thanks T-Mac

22. pellypell - Oct 14, 2012 at 10:12 PM

In his prime, he was one of the most exciting players to watch. Thanks for the memories Tmac.

23. maddogg911 - Oct 14, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Dear tracy; who the hell are you, why are u even mentioning me? How many rings do have have? Exactly!!!! Yours truly….the black mamba #24

24. maddogg911 - Oct 14, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Real NBA fans know championship rings is the only thing that matters!!! T-Mac do all of us a favor and take A.I with you too!!!!

• boobcok - Oct 15, 2012 at 8:03 AM

So Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, Patrick Ewing, Reggie Miller, John Stockton, Bernard King, Elgin Baylor andPete Maravich all don’t matter?

You are a twit.

Real NBA fans know that it’s a team sport and that even every transcendent player in championship history has had a healthy supportive all star calibre player to compliment them.

Are you suggesting that Horace Grant is a better power forward than both Charles Barkley and Karl Malone because he has three rings?

Yeah you sound like a REAL knowledgeable NBA fan.

25. baymac408 - Oct 15, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Hey man Tracy was a player I loved to watch growin up.. Lord knows for a couple years I mimicked his jumper.. You know the straight jump with the high release.. I will always respect that man for his game and the person he was.. I wish the best to t Mac and I hope your back never bothers you again.. And hopefully get picked up make a run for a wing.. He can help some younger teams.. Big claps for t Mac fa real tho you are a bad dude for life.. One of the best ballers of all time…

Woodson, D'Antoni's coaching futures