Kevin Love’s past the Wolves not giving him the max extension. (Note: Totally not over it.)

Oct 14, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT

Kevin Love, Tim Duncan AP

When the Timberwolves decided not to give Kevin Love, All-Star, dominant rebounder, scorer, and best player on the team the max extension of five years, smart basketball fans largely had the same reaction:

“Why in God’s name would you not give Kevin Love the five-year max?”

The answer lies somewhere in the bowels of the Wolves’ front office and their relationship with Love, as well as their desire to hold onto the five-year extension in case they want to give it to Ricky Rubio should he prove eligible and worthy.

Love talked pretty openly about being disappointed with the decision, and it continues to boggle the mind why this worked out his way. In an interview with the National Post, Love talked about that whole experience, and says he’s over it. After, you know, not being over it for a full paragraph.

“That’s because I wanted to be here,” Love said, slapping his hand on the arm of a chair to stress the point. “I wanted them to say, ’When people think Minnesota Timberwolves, they think Kevin Love.’ And I felt with my contract we didn’t really do that.”

Owner Glen Taylor and president of basketball operations David Kahn wanted to keep maximum flexibility with the payroll. So they were hesitant to offer the five-year maximum to Love or any other player, for that matter.

“There’s a lot of stuff behind the scenes that people didn’t know about and they will never know about,” Love said. “A lot of people looked at me and said, ’Oh, he doesn’t want a four-year deal?’ No. I wanted to be the guy. I wanted to be THEIR guy. The fact that I worked as hard as I possibly could and made my mark in many different ways, even after last season, I felt I was a little bit slighted. At this point I’m past that now.”

via Timberwolves’ Kevin Love taking next step to make playoffs | NBA | Sports | National Post.

This is going to be an issue when the three years is up (he signed for four years with a player option in the fourth year). The Wolves are going to have to pony up and by that time, if things haven’t turned around as far as winning, Love will be gone. Splitsville. Adios. The money is always hugely important for players but it’s not the only thing.

Love goes on to say that his disappointment has been quelled by the additions to the team. They’re better. They should make the playoffs this season, provided Rubio gets back to at least 75% of himself. But that won’t be enough. They have to go from terrible, to bad, to pretty good, to a playoff team, to a contending team. And there’s not a super amount of time for that. The Wolves could have bought themselves more time, but chose to go in a different direction. It’s on them, and Love, to make sure the mistake doesn’t turn out to be fatal for the franchise.

HT: HoopsHype

1. readysethike - Oct 14, 2012 at 3:11 PM

hes not a player u can build a franchise around…thats why he didnt get it

• rodgersmvp - Oct 14, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Then who is?

• eugenesaxe - Oct 14, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Stupid people post stupid things.

• slowclyde86 - Oct 15, 2012 at 9:16 PM

This, my friends, is why the wolves will always be the wolves and why rsh will always be stupid. High comedy, this.

2. y0urd0n3 - Oct 14, 2012 at 3:33 PM

You guys just can’t let this go. He gets paid maximum money per year and when his 4 years are up he’ll get maximum money again. Matt Moore is a drama queen!

3. thomaskouns - Oct 14, 2012 at 3:45 PM

You could say that about 70% of the players who get max contrats in the NBA.

I’m all for lowering the amount of years of guranteed contracts but how many players of Love’s caliber are going to rush to get signed by the T-Wolves if he leaves?

Love doesntexactly srike me as a player who wouls sit on his couch all off-season if he got a five year max contract.

4. captainwisdom8888 - Oct 14, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Kevin Love is going to lead the NBA in rebounds just about every year, he’s going to hit over 100 three-pointers, and he’s growing more and more clutch with each passing season. This kid is the most fundamentally-sound player to enter the league since Tim Duncan. Anyone who sincerely believes that you can’t build a team around a Kevin Love is a clown. HE IS A TOP-10 PLAYER IN THE NBA RIGHT NOW.

5. lakerluver - Oct 14, 2012 at 4:12 PM

In three years K. Love will be the starting PF for the LAKERS. Believe it!!!!!

• ummnah - Oct 14, 2012 at 6:02 PM

I hope you’re wrong, but he could end up there. I’m hoping he teams up with his boy D. Rose.

• 00maltliquor - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:51 AM

I wanna believe!!

• franchiseplaya - Oct 15, 2012 at 4:11 PM

as much as i hate it when paulhargis trolls on you, when you post stuff like this it kinda makes it easy to see why he does.

6. fanz928 - Oct 14, 2012 at 5:16 PM

He’s the face of minnesota

• manchestermiracle - Oct 14, 2012 at 9:11 PM

He’s out of UCLA. He has a history there.

• pacific123ocean - Oct 15, 2012 at 3:26 PM

He spent less than one year at UCLA…so, that is not much of a history.

7. eugenesaxe - Oct 14, 2012 at 6:05 PM

I know why they didn’t give him the max, but screwing Love in the hopes that Rubio would pan out was just dumb.

8. nbascreed - Oct 14, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Girls or guys, business or pleasure, anytime someone goes out of their way to convey being “over it” you can be assured that they’re not.

9. krazytrane - Oct 14, 2012 at 9:15 PM

If he wants to be the face what is the trouble with a shorter contract to keep other players who could care less about staying in mn. In three years exercise his right and the wolves sign him to the contract he wants. Never taking less money only not restricting Love to go elsewhere. Sounds terrible to me.

10. albertmn - Oct 14, 2012 at 9:17 PM

But, by getting a shorter contract, they can sign him to his next contract earlier, which would be more money.

• 00maltliquor - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Agree 200%. But NBA players don’t think like that. They want the largest, longest contracts possible just in case their bodies go Greg Oden on them or they just want to flat out get lazy and not work hard for it. They want the cushion.

11. jmmacc - Oct 15, 2012 at 12:10 AM

if being the best pf in the game isn’t worthy of the max, what is. KAHNNNNNNN!

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches