Oct 13, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
The Lakers didn’t want Ramon Sessions back as a free agent, at least not for what he was asking. That’s a rough thing to deal with, but they wanted to land a difference maker, they were gearing up for one more run with Kobe and Pau, and Sessions had a rough playoffs. They got Steve Nash. Not bad. But Sessions says he was reluctant to re-sign with the Lakers anyway, because of the instability of the situation and the possibility he might get traded.
“It was one of those situations I looked at like, ‘If I do come back what if they trade me?’ ” Sessions said. “There were talks about getting Deron. They always wanted the bigger-named guy. What if I get traded to a team and it’s my contract year? It was one of those things that I can’t say if I opted in, [Nash] wouldn’t have come. They still might have tried to get him. You just never know.”
Oh, hey there, random reference to the Lakers talking about getting Deron Williams. There were sporadic rumors in the spring, but then again, any player that is any way available, and most that aren’t, are always discussed in the context of joining the Lakers. But it’s nice to know the Lakers were aiming that high. And, honestly, it’s nice to know that they didn’t land one superstar they angled for this summer.
Sessions wants stability and he may have it in Charlotte. But they’re a rebuilding franchise. What if the pick they get next year, which will inevitably be top-five, is a point guard? There’s no getting away from it. Even now, he’s battling with Kemba Walker for the starting gig and Walker didn’t exactly set the world on fire last year. For whatever reason, there never seems to be a team willing to just commit to Sessions. He’s the NBA version of “Single Ladies.”
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 0
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 14
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16