Oct 13, 2012, 7:00 PM EST
The Lakers didn’t want Ramon Sessions back as a free agent, at least not for what he was asking. That’s a rough thing to deal with, but they wanted to land a difference maker, they were gearing up for one more run with Kobe and Pau, and Sessions had a rough playoffs. They got Steve Nash. Not bad. But Sessions says he was reluctant to re-sign with the Lakers anyway, because of the instability of the situation and the possibility he might get traded.
“It was one of those situations I looked at like, ‘If I do come back what if they trade me?’ ” Sessions said. “There were talks about getting Deron. They always wanted the bigger-named guy. What if I get traded to a team and it’s my contract year? It was one of those things that I can’t say if I opted in, [Nash] wouldn’t have come. They still might have tried to get him. You just never know.”
Oh, hey there, random reference to the Lakers talking about getting Deron Williams. There were sporadic rumors in the spring, but then again, any player that is any way available, and most that aren’t, are always discussed in the context of joining the Lakers. But it’s nice to know the Lakers were aiming that high. And, honestly, it’s nice to know that they didn’t land one superstar they angled for this summer.
Sessions wants stability and he may have it in Charlotte. But they’re a rebuilding franchise. What if the pick they get next year, which will inevitably be top-five, is a point guard? There’s no getting away from it. Even now, he’s battling with Kemba Walker for the starting gig and Walker didn’t exactly set the world on fire last year. For whatever reason, there never seems to be a team willing to just commit to Sessions. He’s the NBA version of “Single Ladies.”
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 2
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 3
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1