Steve Nash is the one person who thinks the Suns won’t suck

Oct 12, 2012, 8:18 PM EDT

Steve Nash AP

The Suns are lottery bound. Michael Beasley might make a good fantasy player but unless he has an efficiency epiphany he’s not a guy you want taking the bulk of your shots. Which is what is going to happen. I like Jared Dudley and Goran Dragic, but they are not building block guys. Everyone thinks the Suns are going to struggle.

Everyone except Steve Nash.

Look at what he told Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports.

“They can be a surprise team this year,” Nash said. “They brought in a lot of guys who can play. They brought in some young guys and put themselves in a position to build. I think they did a great job.”

They did start the rebuilding process, something they needed to do. So there’s that.

But the only surprise is if they are surprisingly bad. I don’t see this season going well. They need to let Kendall Marshall learn on the job, then they need to see if they can trade guys like Luis Scola for picks or young players. If you’re going to rebuild, go all in, don’t just wade into the waters. Fans will understand if you can draft well and give them hope.

But Steve Nash… he’s Canadian, he’s just being nice.

1. jag8r904 - Oct 12, 2012 at 8:47 PM

If he genuinely believed that, then why did he ask out for an opportunity at a ring elsewhere?

2. sunsation3413 - Oct 12, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Nash didnt ask out. They didnt want to re sign him for the 3 years he wanted. So he found a team that would and asked them to do a sign and trade so the Suns would get something out of it.

3. lakerluver - Oct 12, 2012 at 10:09 PM

“The Godfather” is just being nice. They probably won’t suck but I can see a whole lot of 120-115 scores. They definitely should be entertaining.

4. paulhargis53 - Oct 12, 2012 at 10:26 PM

lakerluver will suck, you just have to ask.

5. money2long - Oct 13, 2012 at 12:36 AM

wasn’t there an article on this site about clyde drexler saying the suns should make the playoffs? wouldn’t that make it at least two people who think the suns won’t suck ?

• 00maltliquor - Oct 13, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Was gonna say the same thing.

6. moseskkim - Oct 13, 2012 at 12:41 AM

In the second half, Nash averaged 11 and 10.5. As a starter, Dragic averaged 18 and 8.5. And they got scola and Beasley. Wes Johnson no comment yet. I know stats aren’t everything but Dragic was dang effective and nearly led Houston to the playoffs. Would u trade an aging Nash for a big trade exception, Dragic, scola, Beasley? Thats essentially what transpired in the offseason. So why not give phx a chance? Gortat and Dudley are solid too.

• eventhorizon04 - Oct 13, 2012 at 12:58 AM

I could see Phoenix as the 8th playoff team if they were in the East….but the West is really tough.

A lot of credible teams are angling for the 7th and 8th seed in the West – Dallas Mavericks, Utah Jazz, Golden State Warriors, Minnesota Timberwolves, etc.

So it’s not a question of, “Will Phoenix be good?” I think they could be fun to watch and end up with a respectable record.

It’s a question of, “Will they be better than all of those teams?”

• 00maltliquor - Oct 13, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Dang, you nailed that right there! I swear I said the same exact thing to my friend last night when we were having a convo about rankings and the upcoming season.

I think there will be four teams out West this year to not make the playoffs but could if they were just in the East. PHX is one of those teams.

7. cosanostra71 - Oct 13, 2012 at 3:00 AM

good luck to the Suns. Don’t see them being better than the LAKERS but I think they will be enjoyable to watch. I like Beasley, and I’m looking forward to seeing what Marshall can do. They will fun to watch as a basketball fan due to their potential, but I don’t know about that translating into wins.

The list of championship contenders
Top 10 NBA Player Searches
  1. B. Beal (7486)
  2. K. Durant (6817)
  3. K. McDaniels (6700)
  4. K. Leonard (6544)
  5. R. Rondo (6117)
  1. J. Butler (6080)
  2. B. Lopez (6071)
  3. M. Carter-Williams (6046)
  4. R. Jackson (5854)