Oct 12, 2012, 12:27 AM EDT
So in jumps Russell Westbrook.
Westbrook has joined the Jordan brand, the company announced.
“We are very excited to welcome Russell to the Jordan family,” said Michael Jordan in a released statement. “Russell’s style, both on and off the court, combined with his love and dedication to the game make him a perfect fit for the Jordan Brand. We love the drive and passion for basketball that Russell brings.”
Westbrook joins the dominant basketball shoe brand — Jordan shoes account for about 70 percent of basketball shoes in the United States. Westbrook, a star who is still on his ascendancy, is a great get for them. He’s not as big a name as Wade today, but Westbrook is a rising star who will be around for a long time.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 5
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4