Oct 12, 2012, 9:15 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• Statistically speaking, there is somebody playing in the NBA right now who is a closeted gay. Probably more than one. What would it take for them to come out publicly? Kevin Arnovitz of ESPN explored the idea with the best and most thoughtful piece of sportswriting I saw this week. A must read.
• Why might the Lakers get off to a fast start? How about a soft early schedule.
• This video shows Amare Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony saying they don’t think their chemistry is really an issue and everything is just hunky-dory.
• I really like the Thunder’s new alternate jersey (which leaked first in NBA 2K13) but they spelled Thunder wrong.
• Chris Douglas-Roberts is trying to make the Lakers, and the early buzz is he stands a good chance with the way he’s played. Here is an interesting Q&A with him.
• Going after offensive rebounds does not mean you have to sacrifice defense.
• Manu Ginobili (foot issue) and Patty Mills (ankle) sat out for the Spurs against the Nuggets Friday.
• Marvin Williams talks about living up to expectations, and says the only expectations that matter are his own.
• Why the concerns about the Bulls bench? Because they were 1-of-21 shooting in the fourth quarter of the team’s exhibition game Tuesday night.
• Brad Miller is an avid hunter, and if you are one of his friends he’ll text you pictures of his kills.
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 0
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 8
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 11
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 49
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 60
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 89
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20