Fisher back to the Lakers? Why? But never say never.

Oct 12, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT

Kobe Bryant Derek Fisher Getty Images

If Romeo Void taught us one thing, it’s to never say never.

But bringing Derek Fisher back to the Lakers is something that should be right next to never. Mostly because he’s really not good at basketball anymore. Not in the NBA sense. And the Lakers want to win a title.

But the Lakers may be considering it in part because Kobe Bryant loves Fisher, reports Marc Stein at ESPN, who adds that it is a long shot where a lot of dominoes have to fall the right way.

It’s not feasible for the Lakers to bring back Fisher now, because league rules preclude them from signing a player traded away and then waived (in this case by Houston) for one year after the original deal. Which means March 15, 2013, is the earliest Fisher could legally re-sign with L.A.

Yet sources with knowledge of the Lakers’ thinking say that the team is already trying to create a backcourt opening, having made it clear to the rest of the league that Chris Duhon and Steve Blake are available via trade to any interested party willing to absorb one of those contracts.

It is possible that another team — and it would have to be a contender — suffers an injury to a point guard and they go looking for depth and turn to Fisher before the Lakers are even allowed to sign him.

Either way, the Lakers should not bring Fisher back. While he hit a few shots for OKC in the playoffs last year (6.2 points per game) it didn’t make up for all the times he was torched on defense. Notice the Thunder didn’t keep him around.

I get that the Lakers don’t love Duhon and Blake (and they would like to save some money), but it’s a simple fact both of them are better than Fisher right now. (There are some Lakers fans taking my name in vain right now, so I will note I really do appreciate with what Fisher was to the L.A. title teams. But the Lakers don’t need veteran presence in the locker room, they need somebody who can play 20 plus good minutes a night so Steve Nash gets his rest. And Fisher is just not that guy anymore. Sorry, but if you think he is you’ve been watching through purple-colored glasses.)

It really isn’t a great move. Not if the Lakers are about winning a title.

But never say never.

1. teedraper - Oct 12, 2012 at 5:27 PM

I want him back…he’s money in the playoffs. Learn basketball already.

• Kurt Helin - Oct 12, 2012 at 5:51 PM

• cosanostra71 - Oct 12, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I like how he’s looked in the preseason so far though. He is definitely in better shape, he looks motivated.

• cosanostra71 - Oct 12, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Wow I thought we were talking about MWP for some reason. Forget my comment.

• eventhorizon04 - Oct 13, 2012 at 12:53 AM

“I want him back…he’s money in the playoffs. Learn basketball already.”

If he’s so great, why did the Lakers let him leave, and why did OKC not want to bring him back?

Or have the Laker and OKC organizations “not learned basketball already?”

• michaeljordanseviltwin - Oct 13, 2012 at 12:50 PM

You are slow adult. Fisher shot 41% in 20 playoff games last year and was absolutely atrocious on defense. He looked like a statue on D. It’s retirement time for Fish so we can start remembering all his great moments and forgetting the last couple years.

2. libertynchurch - Oct 12, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Is Gilbert Arenas available? Thirty is not too old, and he can make buckets.

3. 00maltliquor - Oct 12, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Hmmmm…………..interesting. I knew this topic would come up sooner or later with Fish still out there on the market.

My FAV-O-RITE part of the article…”…having made it clear to the rest of the league that Chris Duhon and Steve Blake are avalible to any interested party willing to absorb one of those contracts.” That made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside!

Kurt, that whole “Laker fans taking” your “name in vien” and “watching through purple colored glasses” bit had me falling out laughing! Now THAT was funny!

4. matthewcarlson1 - Oct 12, 2012 at 6:32 PM

You know how Cleveland feels about LeBron? Thats how I feel about Fisher. You probably know why.

• 00maltliquor - Oct 12, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Why? I wanna know…

• davidly - Oct 12, 2012 at 7:31 PM

My guess ‘d be because he’s surrounded by people who believe that Jesus is gonna make a grand appearance in America some day. Compared to that nutty notion, Fish returning to the Lake Show is feasible.

• adeedothatswho - Oct 12, 2012 at 8:21 PM

I bet you’re one of those people that thinks Fish should have simply retired after the Lakers traded him, right? ‘Screw him for finding a new job!’

• cosanostra71 - Oct 13, 2012 at 2:55 AM

As a Lakers fan, I have absolutely zero reason as to “why”. Please enlighten me.

5. lakerluver - Oct 12, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I love, love, love D. Fish and would gladly welcome him back to the LAKERS…..as a coach! Blake and Duhon should back up Nash.

6. blakspartan - Oct 12, 2012 at 8:01 PM

I would duhon over Blake

7. pickney1 - Oct 12, 2012 at 8:07 PM

He would make a more capable backup then Steve Blake or Chris Duhon, rather a young backup point guard. Maybe he would be better in the coaching role

8. crtzinc - Oct 12, 2012 at 8:12 PM

If they trade Blake just don’t trade him to Portland. For whatever reason he is a Laker killer there. If they do maybe we can get Nolan Smith if healthy, plus cheap. He has a good basketball IQ and I believe he has more to offer than what he has shown so far. He would be good in the Princeton offense.

• 00maltliquor - Oct 12, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Laker killer, huh. Well, better to have him ”kill” the Lakers in 4 out of 82 games then to be killing the Lakers for 82 out of 82 games, plus playoffs, that’s for sure.

No way in hell POR would give up Nolan Smith for SB, that would be cool though!

9. crtzinc - Oct 12, 2012 at 8:18 PM

I’m thinking fisher is some type of good fortune charm for Kobe, he has never won without him. Then again he has not won without Phil too. I bet Phil would love to be coaching this team right now.

10. nightrain42 - Oct 12, 2012 at 8:20 PM

I don’t see a spot for fish with the new Lakeshow. Maybe #3 pg, and that’s a big maybe

11. lakerluver - Oct 12, 2012 at 10:03 PM

D. Fish will forever be loved by “most” LAKERS fans. However, there’s no time for sentimentality…the LAKERS have banner number 17 to hoist!! At this stage of his career he’s not better than Duhon or Blake. Sorry, Mamba.

12. teedraper - Oct 12, 2012 at 10:45 PM

“If you think he’s money in the playoffs you haven’t watched closely the last two years.”

Coming from the dude that’s never played or coached in the NBA you sure are matter of fact. Typical writer! If anyone thought ur opinion micro mattered then you’d be employed by an NBA Team! Until then…shut ur mouth & know ur role.

• Kurt Helin - Oct 16, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I get paid for my opinion. You don’t have to like it, but having an opinion about sports is what this site is largely about.

As for the silly playing point, I’ll use this analogy: You have an opinion on what the President should do with this country? You ever been president?

13. slumdog66 - Oct 12, 2012 at 11:50 PM

I HATE the lakers, but the guy is a true professional and a leader. Who wouldn’t want this guy?

• eventhorizon04 - Oct 13, 2012 at 12:52 AM

The fact that he’s unemployed despite only 1 NBA team (the Lakers) not being allowed to sign him strongly hints that the other 29 teams in the NBA wouldn’t want him.

• cosanostra71 - Oct 13, 2012 at 2:58 AM

“Who wouldn’t want this guy?”

Anyone who has watched him over the last two years

14. omniusprime - Oct 13, 2012 at 8:56 AM

If the Lakers can trade away Steve Flake to get Derek Fisher then by all means they should do so. I saw someone comment that Flake was a Laker killer at Portland but the truth is he’s been a Laker killer ever since he’s been on the Lakers. Yeah Fish is old but he plays defense, unlike Nash. I hope that Chris Duhon will get energized to steal away the backup guard position from Flake.

15. fanz928 - Oct 13, 2012 at 11:07 AM

He a voice in the locker room and players respect him. This year they have Dwight Howard so you don’t have to worry about fisher’s defense and he another guy to hit game ending shot

16. money2long - Oct 13, 2012 at 11:56 AM

fisher is valuable far beyond his talent. what he brings to the locker room, he is a staple of the lakers which would be good for kobe’s chemistry moving forward and in effect, team morale. a better kobe equals a better situation obviously.

17. malibudave66 - Oct 15, 2012 at 5:39 PM

There are certain qualities you get with D Fish that money or playing can not buy that is Team Leadership 24/7. This man is special to us fans but to the Lakers organization and to the Buss family and leadership is worth every bit of a bench spot in this lineup. Folks this is the living person of what our kids should role model too! Now Go Lakers!!!

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches