Oct 12, 2012, 1:26 AM EDT
This is not an Andrew Bynum situation.
Yes, Kings center DeMarcus Cousins is regularly practicing three pointers this training camp and may be taking more in games — he took and made one in the team’s preseason game against the Suns.
But he has not gone rogue, Cousins told the Sacramento Bee.
“Coach wants me to shoot the three ball, so I’m still trying to find my spots and where to do it,” Cousins said of Keith Smart. “That’s what this time is for, trying to find it.”
That isn’t exactly what Smart said.
“I didn’t want to see it, but he was going to shoot it anyways,” Smart said. “You don’t find too many guys who love to rebound but can also shoot from distance. He’s a unique guy.”
What Smart told Cousins is if you want to shoot threes in a game you better practice and be able to make that shot.
Cousins was 2-of-14 from three last season, so there is a little room for improvement. But what he really needs to improve is his midrange touch — Cousins took 4.3 shots per game from 3 to 15 feet and hit 1.3 of them. Just hitting half of those shots makes him a dramatically more dangerous threat.
Then if he throws in some threes it is icing on the cake.
- Report: Clippers just need owner’s approval to finalize Garnett, Rivers trade 1
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 6
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 6
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 14
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 38
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (80)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PHT: Blackhawks rattle Rask in Game 4
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT Extra: Will the Spurs recover for Game 7?
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- HBT: Hamilton dropped to 7th in Angels lineup
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record