Oct 12, 2012, 1:26 AM EDT
This is not an Andrew Bynum situation.
Yes, Kings center DeMarcus Cousins is regularly practicing three pointers this training camp and may be taking more in games — he took and made one in the team’s preseason game against the Suns.
But he has not gone rogue, Cousins told the Sacramento Bee.
“Coach wants me to shoot the three ball, so I’m still trying to find my spots and where to do it,” Cousins said of Keith Smart. “That’s what this time is for, trying to find it.”
That isn’t exactly what Smart said.
“I didn’t want to see it, but he was going to shoot it anyways,” Smart said. “You don’t find too many guys who love to rebound but can also shoot from distance. He’s a unique guy.”
What Smart told Cousins is if you want to shoot threes in a game you better practice and be able to make that shot.
Cousins was 2-of-14 from three last season, so there is a little room for improvement. But what he really needs to improve is his midrange touch — Cousins took 4.3 shots per game from 3 to 15 feet and hit 1.3 of them. Just hitting half of those shots makes him a dramatically more dangerous threat.
Then if he throws in some threes it is icing on the cake.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 25
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 29
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4