DeMarcus Cousins is shooting threes (and his coach isn’t angry)

Oct 12, 2012, 1:26 AM EDT

DeMarcus Cousins, Russell Westbrook AP

This is not an Andrew Bynum situation.

Yes, Kings center DeMarcus Cousins is regularly practicing three pointers this training camp and may be taking more in games — he took and made one in the team’s preseason game against the Suns.

But he has not gone rogue, Cousins told the Sacramento Bee.

“Coach wants me to shoot the three ball, so I’m still trying to find my spots and where to do it,” Cousins said of Keith Smart. “That’s what this time is for, trying to find it.”

That isn’t exactly what Smart said.

“I didn’t want to see it, but he was going to shoot it anyways,” Smart said. “You don’t find too many guys who love to rebound but can also shoot from distance. He’s a unique guy.”

What Smart told Cousins is if you want to shoot threes in a game you better practice and be able to make that shot.

Cousins was 2-of-14 from three last season, so there is a little room for improvement. But what he really needs to improve is his midrange touch — Cousins took 4.3 shots per game from 3 to 15 feet and hit 1.3 of them. Just hitting half of those shots makes him a dramatically more dangerous threat.

Then if he throws in some threes it is icing on the cake.

1. phx1311 - Oct 12, 2012 at 6:32 AM

I only see the kings when they play my suns but I believe Cousins will be a big name center in a few years. He plays aggressive, he can rebound, he can get you easy points and i think he should have gone number 1 over John wall.

2. rajbais - Oct 12, 2012 at 7:51 AM

We get it!!! You’re trying to prove Jerry Colangelo wrong!!! Shooting threes won’t do it!!!

3. suhnum1fan - Oct 12, 2012 at 9:24 AM

this big is shooting trees??? Boy how times have changed.

4. nbascreed - Oct 12, 2012 at 9:28 AM

The basis for development in any endeavor is as such:

1. Understand the process (i.e. mechanics of 3 or an option trade)
    2. Develop your process (i.e. start doing it)
    3. Practice in game like or simulated environment (for most traders this would be paper trading against real time market data for Demarcus this would be shooting a 3 in scrimmages)

It’s clear that Cuzzo has had his problems but I’m a big fan of talent and you really can’t deny his. As long as he’s following 1-3 with diligence and alacrity then 4 will take of itself.

• nbascreed - Oct 12, 2012 at 9:35 AM

4. Do it in the game (ha, forgot the most important piece.

5. timb12 - Oct 12, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Big men love shooting 3′s. I don’t understand it. Every little guy would love to be able to bang inside. I knew this guy in high school he was 6’8 300 and ALWAYS wanted to shoot the 3. I guess the grass is always greener or something.

• sellahh - Oct 13, 2012 at 9:08 AM

you nailed it

6. dls612 - Oct 12, 2012 at 11:21 AM

There is no need for him to have that in his arsenal, this guy is capable of being one of the best forward/center to play the game! For a guy his size all he need is around the basket moves and a midrange shot

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview