Oct 11, 2012, 7:59 AM EDT
The rumor was out there — Stan Van Gundy was going to join ESPN’s pregame studio show. Basketball fans were excited because that show lacked something — maybe a loose-cannon former coach — and Van Gundy along with ESPN’s online force Bill Simmons would help that show immensely.
But then it fell apart. Reports surface that David Stern stepped in and killed itESPN’s official response was the two sides “differed on potential assignments and we moved in another direction.”
“No one at ESPN will tell us what happened. Certainly the NBA office isn’t going to tell us what happened. One of the quotes from ESPN in there – we had discussions, but couldn’t agree on a role … as is usual, that’s a bunch of BS from ESPN.
“We actually did agree on a role, but then they came back and pulled that. That’s when we knew something was up.”“
And really, what kind of Stan Van Gundy rant would it be if David Stern’s power were not questioned?
What I find fascinating … you have to give David Stern and the NBA a lot of credit … ESPN pays the league, and then the league tells them what to do. It’s more ESPN’s problem. You gotta have no balls whatsoever to pay someone hundreds of millions of dollars and let them run your business.
Not sure that is helping SVG get a television gig in the future. But man am I going to miss him on the sidelines.
- Spurs show they have too much offense for Grizzlies to handle in Game 1 destruction 0
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets 34
- Spurs would like to remind you they are very good, crush Grizzlies in Game 1 14
- LeBron takes offense to something that Pacers’ head coach Vogel didn’t actually say 45
- Thunder GM says team won’t amnesty Kendrick Perkins 27
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay