Spanish players trash hotel rooms after Olympic loss to USA

Oct 11, 2012, 5:12 PM EDT

Spain London Olympics Gasol AP

For the second Olympics in a row, Spain made it to the gold medal game last July in London only to come up short. That’s frustrating.

So the Spanish team went The Who circa 1967 and took out their frustrations by thrashing their hotel rooms.

That’s the report, via the New York Daily News.

Manager Sergio Scariolo’s team racked up more than $14,400 in damages to their two London 2012 rooms after the 107-100 loss, it was revealed Thursday.

The exact nature of the damage has not yet been confirmed, but the Spanish media has condemned the actions as “despicable” and “disrespectful”.

No work on which players or how many were involved. Frankly, it’s kind of hard to picture Pau Gasol thrashing anything, including a hotel room. But that’s some pretty serious damages.

Fortunately, the next Olympics are in Rio and nobody has ever gotten out of control in Rio…

1. 24thesho - Oct 11, 2012 at 5:54 PM

The Jerry Colagelos and the Coach Ks of the world were so worried about character and image, especially when it came to DeMarcus Cousins, and yet, the arrongant and entitled European Spanish team can trash hotel rooms “a la, The Who” and have it be merely a blip in the news cycle. So, basically, if you are white (particulary, from Europe), then, it’s okay to be spoiled a__ bi_ch_s, but if you are mostly an Afro-American team, you have to watch your Ps and Qs becuase the USA is so concerned about its image? We (black folks) changed this game, multiple times! This is really some straight up, bullsh*t! I’m sorry, but I had to express this.

• cevil61 - Oct 11, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Get over yourself.

• bighurc89 - Oct 11, 2012 at 9:06 PM

If I remember correctly, & I know I do, Serge Ibaka is on the spanish team & he is Black as midnight. I am not an African-American or as you yourself stereotyped it an Afro-American, but my wife is. As I read your comment to her, she was disgusted with your ignorance & stupidity in turning this non-issue into a much dumber thing to even comment about. As another commented about below, this is an adult-immaturity issue, not a black & white issue.

• 24thesho - Oct 12, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Okay, well, good for her and you. But frankly, I could care less about the opinions of your wife…, with all due respect. As for my ignorance and stupidity, well, I was referring to the concerns of Colangelo and Coach K and the irony of those concerns, but, let’s not pretened that there isn’t an element of race in our daily lives, i.e., since President Obama was elected. So, in fact, the denialbilty of your reaction is an overreation and as well as the denial of race being a non issue in the what we now call the 21st century. Clearly, the burden of ignorance falls on you. If you want counter my opinion and my personal obervations throughout what I have seen most of my life, then, I would suggest you come up with more sophiscated definitions of the words stupidity and ignorance. The fact is, I don’t “ignore” anything, which is why I “stated” my opinion. The face that you have to point out the fact that you are white and your wife is black reveals (at least to me) the fact that you have to defend your comment by mentioning that your wife is black. So, I’m afraid that you response is as equally lame as you and your wife thought my comment was. The difference is, I don’t have to consult anyone about a comment I have read in reaction to a sports article. I never typed it is was a race issue, but did find it interesting how low the news noise was. This happened quite a while ago, but, I guess you seemed to have miss that point. You must have “ignored” that part when reading this above article, huh?

• 24thesho - Oct 12, 2012 at 7:40 AM

“The fact that you have to point out the fact”, is what I meant to type.

• 24thesho - Oct 12, 2012 at 7:46 AM

And by the way, Serge is not “Black as midnight”, however, he does seem to be as brown as Kevin Durant and James Harding when I think about it, which I had not until you made you “time of the night” reference, but I’m a glad you are able to feel so comfortable using such terms ever so casually, being married to an “African-American” woman and all.

• 24thesho - Oct 12, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Waiting for your typo comments, btw.

• b7p19 - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Well, you certainly seem to be filled with a lot of hate. I hope your day, and life, gets better than it appears to be right now.

• reesesteel23 - Oct 12, 2012 at 4:28 PM

I get your point, but it’s uncontrollable. People are too naive these days. Two different situations but it’s funny to me that Lebron is free to choose whatever team he wants, and made that decision and it’s still being scorned 2 years later…this happens( which in my opinion is much worse lol) and this will be the first and last article we read about it…..nobody can say that if this wasn’t a predominately black team, we wouldn’t have heard about it the night of the game and every night leading up to today. Not to mention in next Olympics over and over. I would be surprised if the didn’t do a 30 for 30 on it lol.

• reesesteel23 - Oct 12, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Can’t wait for the season though! Lol

2. mrlaloosh - Oct 11, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Thrashing? WTF!

3. misterdreamer119 - Oct 11, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Who cares its only furniture.

4. lakerluver - Oct 11, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Hooligans!!

5. imforbigblue - Oct 11, 2012 at 7:58 PM

leave it to a black person to turn this into a black and white thing…moron

• 24thesho - Oct 12, 2012 at 7:19 AM

Yeah, please leave to a black person to remind you of this; and your reply was as predictable as I knew it would be. Moronic idiot; one upped ya.

6. Nofoolnodrool - Oct 11, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I can understand the stupid comments turning it in to a black and white thing, but your wrong. Acting like an adult has no color, but the poster doesn’t know that yet as he is just a child. Grow up and take the chip off your shoulder and the excuses out of your mind and grow up!

7. lakerluver - Oct 11, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Let’s keep it about sports, fellas. We already have a couple of losers on here posting homophobic crap, we don’t need race crap too!!

8. charlescub80 - Oct 11, 2012 at 10:33 PM

As 24thesho proves once again “stupid” has no race.

• phaden27 - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Just an Internet connection.

9. kavika6 - Oct 11, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Did Spain actually believe they had a chance? USA was just toying with them letting the score be so close.

10. badintent - Oct 12, 2012 at 2:58 AM

@24theso
    “we changed the game many times”
    Ya’ll shu did ! Police blotter bigger than Barkley’s butt !
    Riot in Detroit ! ( not Bowie’s song sampling )
    Lowest TV ratings in 70s, almost shut down the NBA.
    IF Bird and Magic didn’t come along, the league be a memory like roller ball, PBA, and George Washington Carver( did you know that there are over 100 uses for soy bean ?) George knew.
    IF Stern didn’t push for European players to come over in the 90’s the league is done . Go Global , or go home. Hell, we even gave Hakeem a visa to go to school here.And he’s a Muslim, believe that sh*t. Come to Montreal, we got white folks starting riots all the time, LA got nothing on that . But Gasol be sonning Paul’s head next time Lakers and Clippers play. Bank it.

11. nokoolaidcowboy - Oct 12, 2012 at 5:06 AM

Not really a black or white thing. More like a stupid thing.

12. southbeachtalent - Oct 12, 2012 at 7:42 AM

Good times!

Did they find a tiger in the bathroom?

• badintent - Oct 13, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Nice one !!

13. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 12, 2012 at 8:19 AM

“Manager Sergio Scariolo’s team racked up more than $14,400 in damages to their two London 2012 rooms…”

Two rooms? How big were these rooms that the entire team was able to stay in only two of them??

• mannyicey - Oct 12, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Being that it’s two rooms doesn’t mean that everyone was in two rooms. It meant that the players in those two rooms trashed them.

Also, what 24theSho meant to show was that there may be some hypocrisy in how the media handled bad behavior- especially among racial lines. That may be true, but this instance isn’t a good one to display this. The reason why I say this is because you’re talking about a Spanish team and the US media. Personally, who REALLY cares what the Spanish team did after they lost? As long as they lost, they could have had a drunken orgy, for all we care!

But perhaps the Spanish media is blowing the whole thing up. Perhaps not. Did the Spanish media blow up the Plaxico story? Or the Michael Vick story? Who knows!

• Chris Fiorentino - Oct 12, 2012 at 11:12 AM

When they write “…TEAM racked up more than $14,400 in damages to THEIR two London 2012 rooms…” that sounds to me like THEY had ONLY TWO ROOMS and not that it was two player’s rooms. It could be that you are right. If so, then the story is very poorly worded because the literal meaning of what they wrote is that the Spanish basketball team had two rooms and they trashed their two rooms when they lost.

• b7p19 - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:40 PM

The entire basketball team clearly did not stay in two hotel rooms. This isn’t summer basketball camp. As usual, the likely answer is a couple of dumbasses form that team are now making an entire basketball federation look bad.

• badintent - Oct 24, 2012 at 8:52 PM

The Who trashed their hotel rooms all the time. So did Led Zep once in a while. So what ?? Both bands were white, they trashed and got their bank accounts bashed. So next time when you crash your car into your neighbor’s garage, just blow the boom box ! “Walk this way ” by Run -DMC

14. observingii - Oct 12, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Trash? Thrash? Thresh? Thrush? Trish? Make up your mind!

15. rocirius - Oct 14, 2012 at 8:37 PM

One of the problems in America is people who think a story is emphasized or ignored because of race. That kind of thinking perpetuates race as an issue because it is passed down to children.

16. rocirius - Oct 14, 2012 at 8:40 PM

WTF?!!

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches