Oct 11, 2012, 11:58 AM EST
I know it may well be wasted bandwidth to tell Philadelphia fans to relax and go with the flow, but I’m going to try anyway.
Sixers fans, when it comes to Andrew Bynum you are better off not micro-analyzing everything. Think big picture. It’ll be good for your blood pressure.
Bynum is out with a bone bruise on his knee — that would be his surgically repaired knee where he had a special blood-spinning treatment done late this summer — so he is out for the first few weeks of preseason.
But that is not sitting well in some quarters and team president Rod Thorn is having to respond. From the Philadelphia Intelligencer:
Team president Rod Thorn on Wednesday denied a report by Fox 29 sports anchor Howard Eskin that “the Lakers may have given the 76ers damaged goods” in star center Andrew Bynum….
“The injury is what it is — a bruised knee,” said Thorn via email. “It takes time to heal. He obviously had knee surgery previously.”
Bynum is coming off his healthiest season as a pro, he’s not damaged goods. But is there a risk with him? Damn straight. He’s had knee issues. Everyone in the league knew that, including Thorn. But 7’0” shot blocking, offensive threat All-Star centers are not something you can pick up at Wawa. You have to give up something and take a risk to get players like that.
Sixers fans, know going in Bynum can be a bit of a roller coaster. He’s matured and the ride is smoother than it was, but it is still up and down, fast and slow. Take it from someone who watched him up close for years, you want to take a big picture view here. If you freak out about every little thing you’re just going to take years off your life. He’s a special player, enjoy the ride, there are more ups than downs. But it’s a ride.
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 1
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 2
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 8
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 8
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)