Oct 11, 2012, 11:58 AM EST
I know it may well be wasted bandwidth to tell Philadelphia fans to relax and go with the flow, but I’m going to try anyway.
Sixers fans, when it comes to Andrew Bynum you are better off not micro-analyzing everything. Think big picture. It’ll be good for your blood pressure.
Bynum is out with a bone bruise on his knee — that would be his surgically repaired knee where he had a special blood-spinning treatment done late this summer — so he is out for the first few weeks of preseason.
But that is not sitting well in some quarters and team president Rod Thorn is having to respond. From the Philadelphia Intelligencer:
Team president Rod Thorn on Wednesday denied a report by Fox 29 sports anchor Howard Eskin that “the Lakers may have given the 76ers damaged goods” in star center Andrew Bynum….
“The injury is what it is — a bruised knee,” said Thorn via email. “It takes time to heal. He obviously had knee surgery previously.”
Bynum is coming off his healthiest season as a pro, he’s not damaged goods. But is there a risk with him? Damn straight. He’s had knee issues. Everyone in the league knew that, including Thorn. But 7’0” shot blocking, offensive threat All-Star centers are not something you can pick up at Wawa. You have to give up something and take a risk to get players like that.
Sixers fans, know going in Bynum can be a bit of a roller coaster. He’s matured and the ride is smoother than it was, but it is still up and down, fast and slow. Take it from someone who watched him up close for years, you want to take a big picture view here. If you freak out about every little thing you’re just going to take years off your life. He’s a special player, enjoy the ride, there are more ups than downs. But it’s a ride.
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 6
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 5
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18