Oct 11, 2012, 11:58 AM EDT
I know it may well be wasted bandwidth to tell Philadelphia fans to relax and go with the flow, but I’m going to try anyway.
Sixers fans, when it comes to Andrew Bynum you are better off not micro-analyzing everything. Think big picture. It’ll be good for your blood pressure.
Bynum is out with a bone bruise on his knee — that would be his surgically repaired knee where he had a special blood-spinning treatment done late this summer — so he is out for the first few weeks of preseason.
But that is not sitting well in some quarters and team president Rod Thorn is having to respond. From the Philadelphia Intelligencer:
Team president Rod Thorn on Wednesday denied a report by Fox 29 sports anchor Howard Eskin that “the Lakers may have given the 76ers damaged goods” in star center Andrew Bynum….
“The injury is what it is — a bruised knee,” said Thorn via email. “It takes time to heal. He obviously had knee surgery previously.”
Bynum is coming off his healthiest season as a pro, he’s not damaged goods. But is there a risk with him? Damn straight. He’s had knee issues. Everyone in the league knew that, including Thorn. But 7’0” shot blocking, offensive threat All-Star centers are not something you can pick up at Wawa. You have to give up something and take a risk to get players like that.
Sixers fans, know going in Bynum can be a bit of a roller coaster. He’s matured and the ride is smoother than it was, but it is still up and down, fast and slow. Take it from someone who watched him up close for years, you want to take a big picture view here. If you freak out about every little thing you’re just going to take years off your life. He’s a special player, enjoy the ride, there are more ups than downs. But it’s a ride.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10