Popovich’s wife doesn’t like how he treats courtside reporters

Oct 11, 2012, 2:46 PM EDT

Gregg Popovich AP

It’s one of my favorite parts of the Spurs nationally televised games — some poor sideline reporter like Craig Sager has to try and interview Gregg Popovich between quarters. And Popovich wants nothing to do with it. He is condescending and annoyed.

Journalists in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones, but I do love watching those interviews. I’m not alone, if you judge by twitter reactions. A lot of people look forward to the Popovich interviews.

But not his wife.

Popovich was on 790 the Ticket in Miami with Dan LeBatard and talked about hearing from his wife after those interviews (via Sports Radio Interviews).

“I know. I’m a jerk. I’m going to go ahead and admit it publically to the whole world. Tell me what to do. What should I do?… I don’t know how to answer so sue me for being stupid and not having the answers to the questions. (Host: Keep doing it, it’s entertaining.) It entertains everybody but my wife. When I get home and she says ‘geez why are you so mean? You’re a jerk, people hate you.’ I go I’m sorry honey, I have to do better next time.”

“And there’s no exaggeration. Did you see that guy honey? Did you see him? All you have to do is see him and you know why I answered the way I did. (She says) ‘That’s no excuse, you’re a grown man. Show some maturity.’ I said ‘I can’t, I can’t do it.”

We all answer to someone. Even Gregg Popovich.

But he still should keep doing it.

1. cakemixa - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Can you think of anything more useless in sports than sideline/halftime interviews?

“So coach, you guys are , what do you need to do to win?”

• sabatimus - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:26 PM

I think there’s nothing more useless in sports than interviews PERIOD. Most of the questions are canned, and most of the responses are permutations/combinations of something Crash Davis might say.

• florida727 - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Any post with a Crash Davis reference has to get a thumbs-UP!

Couldn’t agree more. The sideline interviews and/or the halftime interviews are more predictable than cold weather in Alaska in January… both the questions AND the answers.

• dexterismyhero - Oct 12, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter.

2. 1972wasalongtimeago - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:21 PM

I asked for a Spurs story, and I got a Spurs story.

• phaden27 - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Ask for bottom of the barrel, get bottom of the barrel.

3. davidly - Oct 11, 2012 at 4:29 PM

I imagine I wouldn’t like Popp, but I’m with him on the interviews. And anyway, he’s not the only one who gets annoyed with the in-game nonsense. I’ve seen plenty of snippy reactions (from coaches mostly).

As far as the regular post game blah-fests go, I don’t think any member of any team should be required to do an interview. Ever.

4. Mr. Wright 212 - Oct 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM

I love those Popovich sound bytes.

5. kavika6 - Oct 11, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Between the ever-annoying Sager and the perverted female reporters that bully their way into locker rooms I don’t feel sorry for the press.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches