Kobe doesn’t really miss Smush Parker, Kwame Brown

Oct 11, 2012, 12:46 PM EST

New York Knicks v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Kobe Bryant sounds like a professional poker player here — even guys sitting around wearing World Series of Poker bracelets will remember and talk about their bad beats more eagerly than their tournament wins.

Kobe has spent his career playing with Shaquille O’Neal, Glenn Rice, Robert Horry, Pau Gasol, and now Steve Nash and Dwight Howard. His list of teammates could form an All-Star team.

But what he remembers often is the bad years. And he talked about that 2005-06 Lakers team before Wednesday’s exhibition (which Kobe skipped). Via the Orange County Register:

“I almost won an MVP with Smush Parker and Kwame Brown on my team,” Bryant said before Wednesday’s 93-75 exhibition loss to Portland. “I was shooting 45 times a game. What was I supposed to do? Pass it to Chris Mihm or Kwame Brown…”

Bryant continued, taking aim at his favorite whipping boy, Parker, calling him “the worst. He shouldn’t have been in the NBA but we were too cheap to pay for a point guard. So we let him walk on.”

Parker doesn’t like Kobe either. Problem for Smush is that in America the winners get to write the history, and Parker can’t win this fight.

1. paulhargis53 - Oct 11, 2012 at 12:58 PM

What a great teammate and all around swell guy Kobe is. Yuck.

This goes right to the heart of what a turd of a human being he is.

At least Amish didn’t have to pay hush money to a hotel employee…

• nycalldayz - Oct 11, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I like Kobe, but it’s a bit over the top to publicly insult former teammates.

• cosanostra71 - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Are you going to dispute what he said? Everything he said is true. All those players are garbage.

I’d love to hear if you think otherwise however.

• zxrated - Oct 11, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Smush was not as bad as Kobe makes him out. 05-06 was one of Kobe’s best seasons as a pro; 35 points, 5 reb,5 assist, 2 steals with 3 turnovers a game, shooting 45% from the field and 35% from three point land. Smush was no allstar and never was gonna be but replacing D. Fish was a tall order. Smush’s numbers in 05-06 were as good as Fisher’s best season as a Laker and Fish never shot better than 43% from the field his entire career. Smush’s numbers; 12 points, 3 reb, 4 assist, 2 steals, 2 turnovers, shooting 45% from the field and 37% from three point land. Smush shot a better three point percentage than Kobe and matched his field goal percentage in 05-06.

Kobe should be bigger than this petty bashing of former teammates. What good does it do him? SMH

• Clayton Bigsby - Oct 12, 2012 at 12:21 AM

What?…You dont like paying $150-$200 for a Staples seat to see Kwame “Stone hands” Brown?

2. paulhargis53 - Oct 11, 2012 at 12:59 PM

*Smush

3. lakerluver - Oct 11, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Omg, why did you remind of those dark days in LAKERS lore?!!!

4. Gordon - Oct 11, 2012 at 1:33 PM

This must be the advice Kobe was gonna give Arod when he calls him. Sounds like Arod could teach Kobe a thing or 2 about being a better teammate.

5. lakerluver - Oct 11, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Kobe is a great teammate….for guys that want to win rings. Smush and Kwame were scrubs who never deserved to don the LAKERS jersey.

6. camnellum12 - Oct 11, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Kobe really comes off as an pompous a**hole saying this, but it’s the truth. The truth sounds bitter most of the time. We Laker fans have been saying this for years, Kobe should have 2 or 3 MVP’s instead of one. I’m all for making your teammates better and getting everything out of everyone, but Kobe wasted his peak years on some bad teams. I’ll give him a pass for shooting 27 times a game for the ’05-’06 season, because if you’re relying on Kwame Brown, Sumsh Parker, and Luke Walton to get you deep in the playoffs, you’re screwed. The fact that Kobe Bryant (a shame he was at his sharpest too) played with a D-League quality team.

7. lakerluver - Oct 11, 2012 at 1:41 PM

If he’s such a ” bad” teammate you’d think Bynum would rip him now that he’s in Philly. Or, Nash would’ve declined to play with him. Or, Pau would’ve demanded a trade. Not a peep from anyone of them!! Even Shaq never questioned Kobe as a teammate. If having an insane will to win makes him a bad teammate a lot of other players should also become “bad teammates”!! Again, “smartphone” experts who don’t have a clue about what’s really going on.

8. nbascreed - Oct 11, 2012 at 1:44 PM

This seems petty and beneath Kobe. He’s handled the Shaq acrimony very well, allowing Diesel to whine, take potshots and otherwise come across as the one who was hurt by the whole ordeal. I’m surprised he would do this. I know him and Park didn’t get along but he won that battle w/o ever lifting a finger. Let it go bro.

9. lakerluver - Oct 11, 2012 at 1:59 PM

MJ, Isiah and Bird are three of the greatest players ever and neither one of them were considered “great teammates”. But, like Kobe, they all had a will to win that bordered on obsession. I’ll take that kind of player any day of the week.

10. lakerluver - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Heck, MJ was still ripping dudes at his HOF induction!!

• zerole00 - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:53 PM

LoL didn’t he rip his OWN KIDS too?

• badintent - Oct 13, 2012 at 2:37 AM

And all his coaches, too bad he didn’t rip the black dude that killed his dad, much too punk to deal with that sh*t. MJ must have be a matador in his first life and has his balls ripped off by the bull.

11. joshm5683 - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:14 PM

As following the Lakers since forever, its pretty well known that Kobe and Smush did NOT get along during or after the team parted ways. I think with Kwame Kobe liked and with him generally it was kind of a sarcastic general ribbing. I think what Kobe will remember, and he always mentions this, a game that Kobe told Kwame to be ready because a triple team was coming at him and Kwame told him not to pass it to him because he was afraid of missing the shot. I think it was a week later the Lakers got Pau, but I think Kobe was pretty appalled someone didn’t have the guts to make or miss the shot like a man and just declined to even try.

12. paulhargis53 - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:20 PM

No one ever said MJ was a great teammate. Using that excuse is about the same as saying “he started it”. I’m not suprised that’s the route you went Lakersucker.

None of the others said anything because they have some class. There is nothing to be gained by being an a**hole like that.

It’s immaturea.d childish and speaks to the type of person he is.
    None of the older guys called out teammates publicly, including Bird.It was handled off camera.

It’s things like this that will keep Kobe forever out of the goat debates.

Keep hammering away with that “smartphone expert” catchphrase, the only one who thinks its witty is you.

Year’s after the fact and he’s still throwing insults. Why is he so insecure?

And its typical of fans like you to throw away players once they no longer ate contributors. No sense of history at all.

Just like you ripping on Shaq. It’s pitiful, ignorant and immature. Of course when you’re 38 and hero worshipping basketball players, those words fit you to a T.

13. lakerluver - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Isn’t it ironic that a guy that can’t post a comment without a homophobic slur is calling Kobe a “bad person”? The nerve of some people.

14. paulhargis53 - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Lakerluver, they can’t be slurs if they are true. Besides that, they aren’t homophobic. I don’t get you’re lifestyle, but I support your right to it 100%.

Why are you so ashamed of it?

• sdlakerfan - Oct 11, 2012 at 4:04 PM

this just in: paulhargis53 is now the all-time leader in thumbs down. LEAVE LAKERLUVER ALONE YA FRICKEN TURD!!!

15. 00maltliquor - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:18 PM

I don’t really miss them either, especially Kwame! Kinda wish he left Chris Mihm out of it, he wasn’t horrible, I was cool with him…then again he was the 1st C post-Shaq era so it was a HUGE drop-off, so maybe he gets a bad rap from Kobe ’cause of that. Yeah, those were some bad years. Wonder what Kobe will say about Steve Blake once (if ever! Uggh!) he’s shown the door!

Nonetheless, I’m glad those years happend, it ended up netting us Andrew Bynum. And now Dwight.

• jedifriedchicken - Oct 12, 2012 at 4:43 AM

I’m right there with you, bruddah. I thought the same thing as soon as I saw him throw Mihm under the bus. Smush & Kwame, yes, but Mihm did the best he could, and was reasonably priced. The two things the others were most cringe-worthy for. Kwame was a decent player though. He was just terrible when considering how much he was being paid for due to being a number one draft pick bust. Smush on the other hand was just an entitled douchebag. It still boggles my mind how completely clueless this guy was regarding how lucky he was to be in the league. He just didn’t get what an opportunity he was given. Thankfully, the Lakers eventually dumped him. I think Miami pick him up afterwards, but quickly dumped him after realizing what a chump he was.

16. lakerluver - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:21 PM

@maltliquor
    I kinda like Blake. As a backup he’s not that bad.

• tcclark - Oct 11, 2012 at 4:21 PM

When comparing him to Ramon Sessions he isn’t, but when you see the drop off between him and Nash you might feel a little differently when he’s put into the game

• 00maltliquor - Oct 11, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Yeah, those 2 ast., 3 TO’s, 0 pts. and bench-leading -8 +/- stat in just under 15 minutes last night ( though it IS only pre-season, I get that, but those are typical Blake #’s…hey, at least he’s consistant as f***, right?) really got me amped up.

C’mon LL, people still referring to Steve Blake as a decent backup are still living off his past and old reputation pre-Lakers stint. Darius Morris, now that kid’s the future! Hope Coach gives him the time of day this year. He seemed pretty pumped on him last night with the garbage time min. when he let him out the doghouse. I hope we find a way to keep my boy Sacre and CDR.

17. paulhargis53 - Oct 11, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Sdlakerfan: It’s so precious that you pay attention to
    the thumbs. I guess you REALLY mean it, you used all caps!

It’s nice that your life partner came to your defense sweetie.

18. lakerluver - Oct 11, 2012 at 4:57 PM

I agree, CDR has to make the team. And I would love for Morris to take Blake’s minutes. I’m just not sure he will.

19. lakerluver - Oct 11, 2012 at 5:09 PM

@sdlakerfan
    Let little paulie have his fun. After all, spending 8 hrs on his feet greeting all those shoppers at Walmart has to be stressful! He needs away to release that tension. I’ll be the old fellas huckleberry!!

20. paulhargis53 - Oct 11, 2012 at 6:02 PM

The hits just keep on coming from you lakerluver. You’re comebacks are so lame.

You’re just burying yourself deeper with these inane posts. Are you going to say I live in my moms basement next? Ick.

How does it feel to be recognized as lamest poster on this site? If I was embarrassed by someone on a daily basis like you are, I’d ay the very least, change my screen name. Have you no shame?

21. paulhargis53 - Oct 11, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Ugh. Nice post loser, you’re such an original. Why do you even bother?

That Wal Mart crack was a real stinger.

• phaden27 - Oct 12, 2012 at 1:27 AM

You make the rest of us look bad. Stop your five year old feud with the Laker fan and grow up.
      Signed, the fellow Celtic fan who’s tired of you.

22. imforbigblue - Oct 11, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Kobe is a dick end of story

23. paulhargis53 - Oct 12, 2012 at 6:54 AM

phaden

I never claimed to represent the Celtic fanbase so:

GFY.

signed someone who doesn’t care what you think.

• phaden27 - Oct 12, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Except in all those posts against our local clown Bozo.
      And serious learn to use the reply button, it’s really annoying that you don’t have
      the balls to just repost against someone and would rather hide it like a thirteen year old.
      Have a nice day.

24. fotydaze - Oct 12, 2012 at 6:55 AM

Kobe has never been called a solid teammate, but he does bring it nightly he’s right every one of those guys sucked and didn’t belong in a laker uniform. REALLY SMUSH PARKER!!! Where is he flipping burgers these days?

25. paulhargis53 - Oct 12, 2012 at 9:38 AM

He’s probably your shift leader, foty.

• badintent - Oct 13, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Nice ! Is that grave yard or fill-in ?

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches