Kobe Bryant says he needs to have a talk with A-Rod

Oct 11, 2012, 2:10 AM EDT

Portland Trail Blazers v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

That cry of “hallelujah” you heard Wednesday night was every Yankee fan in America rejoicing when A-Rod got benched.

Raul Ibanez came to the plate in the ninth inning instead of Alex Rodriguez for the Yankees with the game on the line. Yankee fans were thrilled with the move even before Ibanez hit the home run to tie the game or the extra-inning dinger to win it and put New York up 2-1 over Baltimore.

Well, every Yankee fan but Kobe Bryant.

See, Kobe and A-Rod are tight, so he asked the media hoard after the Lakers preseason game Wednesday (which Kobe missed) about the game and… well, from Arash Markazi of ESPNLA.com.

I find this amusing, but then I find it amusing any time a Yankees fans is suffering.

I know what could cheer A-Rod up, maybe we put in a call to Cameron Diaz for him… no? Bad idea? Okay, then maybe Kobe can come up with something.

1. sammyscrawfo - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:28 AM

Lol what do you mean it’s not good for the chemistry? They won in one of the most exciting ways in recent history. A-Rod or not, it’s a win. Kobe should understand that!

2. jordanismyidol - Oct 11, 2012 at 4:39 AM

Wtf does kobe kno about baseball

• nokoolaidcowboy - Oct 11, 2012 at 7:15 AM

Not so much about knowing baseball, but Kobe knows a thing or two about clutch shots.

• skids003 - Oct 11, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Yeah, he sure as hell throws up alot of them. Some go in, many don’t.

3. elchief157 - Oct 11, 2012 at 5:32 AM

Kobe likes A-Rod, what a joke

4. papichulo55 - Oct 11, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Two huge egos consulting? I can see this helping. There aint too many people on the planet that has the credentials to get ARod to listen. ARod is looking old because he is thinking old. Lost his Swag. Maybe Kobe can send ARod a couple of chicas?!

• eerock41 - Oct 11, 2012 at 8:49 AM

ARod is looking old because he is old.

• badintent - Oct 12, 2012 at 3:04 AM

I’m thinking some Colorado white bird……………………………..

5. ebrownwareagle - Oct 11, 2012 at 8:39 AM

It takes a Champion to talk to and motivate a Champion! If you can’t listen to one of the most clutch players of all times ie a 1st Ballot HOF’er then who can you listen to.

6. rodge1 - Oct 11, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Kobe should worry more about his rising contract and declining skills holding the Lakers back.

7. gugurich - Oct 11, 2012 at 9:01 AM

This is an odd comment. A-Rod was subbed for the betterment of his team and his team ended up winning. Kobe cares more about the individual over the team here?

• mella21 - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Thank you. This is exactly what I was thinking, it’s like he has it in his mind that A-rod’s supposed to be the one to lead the Yankees to victory, and if he doesn’t something is wrong. Guess what Kobester, I’d rather have my team just win.

• zerole00 - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:25 AM

That’s what I got out of this. I’m pretty sure it’d be worse for team chemistry if they all thought they lost because the best player wasn’t put out there for the sake of ego.

8. nbascreed - Oct 11, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Sometimes I wonder how many commenters on here have ever experienced real professional success and I don’t mean that as a taunt. Kobe like MJ before him and like Jaime Dimon or President Obama or Warren Buffet or Mark Zuckerberg has a HUMONGOUG EGO. Kobe’s comment about A-rod should be the PRIMARY reason Laker fans (present company included) are terrified that the Lake Show will fall short of a title. There is no way that Kobe could ever fathom allowing D12 or Nash to be the “man” on that team, EVEN if it is abundantly clear that Kobe should be taking a back seat, he won’t…because he has a HUGE EGO and EGO says “me first” then “team wins”. I can guarantee you that Kobe would be much happier this year averaging 28 ppg and losing in the conference finals than averaging 21 to Howard’s 26 and winning a championship b/c that would mean he is not the man.

• money2long - Oct 11, 2012 at 10:23 AM

haha!

nbascreed, no offense, this was the best comedy i’ve read in weeks. thanks for the laugh. kobe crying on the bench after being eliminated in the playoffs was obviously because he didn’t score enough points. i got you!

9. papichulo55 - Oct 11, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Raul Ibanez is three years older than ARod. Those fastballs are hittable. Kobe can be a unique resource to ARod. Multiple Champion influenced by one of the greatest coaches of all time. Talk to your boy, Kobe. Curse him. Challenge him. Console him. Whatever. ARod is in a slump. Nothing more, nothing less.

10. paulhargis53 - Oct 11, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Kobe is one of the most clutch players of all time? Are you dry shaving me?!?!

Stats as of 2011.

In the final 24 seconds of regular season and playoff games in going for a tie or the lead, Kobe made 36 shots out of 115 attempts. That is a paltry .313!!
    In just the playoffs, he is a hair under 30%.

Sorry folks, that isn’t clutch, that’s pathetic.
    That’s not hating on Kobe, that’s pure fact.
    It’s on the world wide web, Di some research, instead of spewing out fantasy talk.

11. papichulo55 - Oct 11, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Kobe is in competition with the legend of MJ. More Rings than MJ. Passing the baton better than MJ. Ego? Hell yeah! Once listened to an after game interview. Kobe missed a game winning shot. The interviewer asked if, under those circumstances, the final shot was a good shot. Kobe responded, incredulosly, that ‘ALL of his shots are good shots.’ As a fan, the initial reaction was WTF, is he kidding!? Any guard who hits half their shots is doin great.
    Kobe then asked the interviewer a rhetorical question. ‘Do you think I come out here shooting shots that I know wont go in?’ Brilliant! Supreme confidence under stress. And, for me, thats why he will be remembered as one of the greatest.

12. liamj55 - Oct 11, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Why is Kobe a Yankees fan? He ain’t from New York. He is a on record a Philadelphia Eagles fan so I this doesn’t make sense to me. He is eligible to be a Phillies fan or a Dodgers fan.

• mella21 - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:20 AM

He is ‘eligible’? Is there some sort of fan committee I don’t know about that makes one eligible to root for a certain team?

Kobe, or anybody else, can root for any team they want. I became a fan of the Dallas Mavericks because I liked the way Nowitizki plays, but I never lived in Dallas. Sue me.

• liamj55 - Oct 11, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Yes. You root for where you are from. If you don’t you are a FRAUD. Hypothetically speaking, if you are from Chicago and you root for the Dallas Mavericks you are a FRAUD. I don’t get why this is a hard concept to grasp? You don’t turn your back on your hometown. Other rules:
        -If you are from an area that has no affiliation you are free to root for who you want.
        -If you move to a new area you are aloud to adopt that new team or keep affiliation form where you are from. Liking both teams is acceptable as well.
        There is no easy ways in life people. When you are a kid and you like a certain team’s uniform colors that is fine. But then you grow up (if you grow up) the reasoning is not valid and makes you look small minded. Reality people.

13. ebrownwareagle - Oct 11, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Paulhargis53….

Fantasy stat this……. 5xNBA CHAMP! More than LBJ DWade Durant Melo Howard and all your other studs except Tim Ducan combined!

14. paulhargis53 - Oct 11, 2012 at 9:52 AM

You’re previous comment was about him being one of the most clutch of all time. You have no rebuttal to that so you deflect you’re arguement to a team accomplishment? Typical.

I don’t expect anything less out of a laker worshipper when FACTS are placed in front of them.

Sorry fella, you’re hero is a 30% shooter in crunch time.

15. papichulo55 - Oct 11, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Some people how to Google, and some people know how to play Ball. Do you know how many players are afraid of the last shot? You wont find a stat on that, but anyone who played ball at any level will tell you that. Take the time to Google Magic Johnsons praise of Larry Bird and the pressures of The Last Shot. Kobe is one of the few who has the guts to take the shot, with full knowledge of the risks and rewards. As a result, a five-on-five game becomes a five-on-two because three dudes dont want the rock. Metrics without content. Go out and play some Ball, please..

16. lakerluver - Oct 11, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Gotta love the smartphone sports “experts” who have probably never played a sport in their life (no, t-ball when you were 6 doesn’t count) questioning the credentials of one of the greatest basketball players who has ever lived. I’m just glad the real experts aren’t as biased and ignorant as some of you are. I love online sports talk sites, but the ignorance has to end.

17. dman6015 - Oct 11, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Hey, Kobe, stick to basketball and stay away from baseball. You and A-Rod don’t need to become another Michael Jordan-Tiger Woods team. Look what Jordan’s advice did for Woods’ life and career. Girardi did exactly what a good manager should do. Bench the non-performer in favor of winning the game for the TEAM. Something you’ve never quite understood.

• badintent - Oct 13, 2012 at 2:46 AM

I had no Idea that MJ was coaching TW when he was buffing the diner hoe in the bushes behind the parking lot. ! and here I though MJ always kept his Hanes up and his poker chips down. so naive of me. I should have know better with Woods, all that mind control crap would pull MJ away from Barkley at the craps table. Dang.Check please.

18. papichulo55 - Oct 11, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Sorry. Metrics without context.

19. ebrownwareagle - Oct 11, 2012 at 10:06 AM

You gotta love these clowns man. The same ones that probably think the Triple Crown in baseball isn’t an accomplishment, because anybody can do it as if it happens every other year or five years. The new world of derivatives. That’s the joke!

20. lakerluver - Oct 11, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I see my friend is on a break from his job as a greeter at the local Meijer and decided to “educate” us on what being clutch means. Look, just because you play in a 50 and over league at the Y and you own an iPhone 3 ( you do know you’re way overdue for an upgrade, right?) does NOT make you a basketball expert. I’m just glad the “real” experts aren’t as biased or ignorant as some of you online smartphone “experts” are. Questioning the credentials of one KOBE BEAN BRYANT makes you look foolish and dumb.

• borderline1988 - Oct 11, 2012 at 10:38 AM

It’s not a matter of credentials. Kobe is a top-10 all time player and I’d be the first to admit that. In fact, he may be the best individual scorer and shot-maker in NBA history, besides for Jordan.

I just think his clutch shot-making ability is slightly over-rated. Nobody in the history of the game took more shots than Kobe did in the last few minutes of close games. It’s probably not even close. He demands the ball in the second half of 4th quarters in every single close game he plays in.

And if you look at the stats, he misses most of them. We only remember the ones he makes. I can’t tell you how many times the Lakers should’ve pulled away in the 4th, only to find themselves battling with inferior teams in the dying seconds b/c Kobe went 1/5 or 2/7 or something like that in the last 5 minutes. It always, always happens. Then Kobe hits a game-winner and everyone talks about how clutch he is.
      The whole clutch thing is overrated. He isn’t any better in the clutch, and neither is practically anyone. Kobe just takes the most clutch shots, so we remember those the most.

Anyways, sorry for getting into this. The argument can go on forever.

• loungefly74 - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:29 AM

taking the most clutch shots accounts for something. i don’t play in the NBA but i bet a big % is scared to shoot the final shot. just for the fact that Kobe will take the final shot is proof he has big balls. yeah, he may miss a lot…i’m sure most do…but you’re right, the ones he does make are the ones we remember…having 5 rings plays into that.

i agree…trying to put “clutch” into a metric equation is foolish…it’s more about a “state of mind”. clutch is not only about taking the last shot..but your all around game.

21. ebrownwareagle - Oct 11, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Thank You lakerluver! Now let’s Focus on these upcoming Championships!

22. paulhargis53 - Oct 11, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Those are FACTS losers, spin it how ever you like.
    There is no disputing his shooting% in crunch time.

What’s to debate? None of you’re rebuttals make sense.
    I didn’t play pro basketball, so I can’t interpret facts?Google others?
    Why? Brown eagles original post is he is one of the most clutch of all time.
    I proved with FACTS(see what I’m doing there?) that he isn’t.

This is why everyone hates laker fans, you’re proved wrong, yet you still argue.

Good job ignoring me lakerluver, you lasted all of 36 hours, AGAIN.
    You are so dumb, painfully dumb.
    P.S. I’m well under 50, I don’t usr apple products, I’m not overweight,
    Paul Hargis is not my real name- dunce.

23. lakerluver - Oct 11, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Hmmm, I said no name, yet “he” replies anyway. The saying goes, ” if the shoe fits, wear it”. I guess the shoe fits, huh, my friend? Tee Hee Hee!!

24. paulhargis53 - Oct 11, 2012 at 10:44 AM

lakerluver, Your veiled references to me are as transparent as a pane of glass.

I’m in you’re head and I love the fact that you sit at your computer posting worrying about how I will pick apart the drivel that you put on this site. If you want the ignorance to end…STOP POSTING!
    Those stats do not lie. There is no arguing it. Your lame attempts at humor aside, you haven’t offered up a counterpoint outside of the fact that I wad MVP of my 6 year old t-ball league.

Kobe is not clutch-its a proven fact- deal with it. Nothing you have said or will say can change it.

25. papichulo55 - Oct 11, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Recommendation to play more Ball was sincere, not intended to be mean spirited. We often get caught up in statistics without recognizing their limitations. You dont have to play at a professional level to feel that dude checkin you much harder at the end of the game. And if you are the best scorer, you will personally be targeted for stronger defense from the whole damn team. And the end-of-game defense will change again depending on the importance of the game. A game where you are playing till you get tired is different from playing a game knowing that there are three teams that have ‘next’. You play end-of-game defense harder because you dont want to ‘lose the Court’. Every player on an NBA court would tell you these things are true, and translate to the pro game. The talent level doesnt change core fundamentals.

And for the record, I played ball against Kobe’s father, JellyBean, when he played for Simon Gratz in North Philly. And a cousin from The Bronx and Rucker Park had a cup of coffee in the NBA.

Anyone has a right to not like the Lakers or Kobe, but anyone who knows and loves the game should acknowledge Kobe as one of the greatest of all time. Perfect? No. Great? Hell Yes!

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches