Kobe Bryant says he needs to have a talk with A-Rod

Oct 11, 2012, 2:10 AM EDT

Portland Trail Blazers v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

That cry of “hallelujah” you heard Wednesday night was every Yankee fan in America rejoicing when A-Rod got benched.

Raul Ibanez came to the plate in the ninth inning instead of Alex Rodriguez for the Yankees with the game on the line. Yankee fans were thrilled with the move even before Ibanez hit the home run to tie the game or the extra-inning dinger to win it and put New York up 2-1 over Baltimore.

Well, every Yankee fan but Kobe Bryant.

See, Kobe and A-Rod are tight, so he asked the media hoard after the Lakers preseason game Wednesday (which Kobe missed) about the game and… well, from Arash Markazi of ESPNLA.com.

I find this amusing, but then I find it amusing any time a Yankees fans is suffering.

I know what could cheer A-Rod up, maybe we put in a call to Cameron Diaz for him… no? Bad idea? Okay, then maybe Kobe can come up with something.

1. 2difshoe - Oct 11, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Yeah Kobe, remind him about the $ 30 million he is making this year, or the paycheck he receives every 2 weeks for $ 1,115,846.00. That should console him.

2. paulhargis53 - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Never once did I question his overall greatness or his place in the top 12-15 all time. I just said he wasntvthe most clutch of all time, a fact that the stats bear out.

There is no disputing those numbers, there is no spin you can put on it.

He shoots 30% in crunch time over his whole career.

3. mogogo1 - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:42 AM

“I don’t like that. That’s not good for the chemistry of the team. I’m going to have to call A-Rod.”

Glad the big “Yankee fan” would rather they be eliminated from the playoffs with A-Rod whiffing four times every game than winning the series with him on the bench. Funnier yet is the fact that A-Rod has never been a popular teammate. He’s respected for his skills as long as he’s playing well, but absolutely nobody in the clubhouse will have a problem with his being benched when he’s struggling. That’s because his teammates would rather win than massage A-Rod’s ego. Kobe on the other hand…

4. lakerluver - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Clutch or not clutch, all I know for sure is Kobe is acknowledged as a top 10 player of all time on the lists of just about all the guys that study the NBA for a living. Don’t take my word for it, do your own research.

• broncobeta - Oct 11, 2012 at 1:04 PM

If you were to put together a team of the all-time greatest, Kobe would not be in the startling line up.

5. drex1 - Oct 11, 2012 at 1:54 PM

@liamj55 haha thats a brilliant explanation of the rules of supporting a team. If you dont mind i’ll be plagerising it to my bandwagon jumping neighbours

• liamj55 - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Absolutely use it. We need more outstanding fans like yourself in the world. Loyalty is lost on a lot of people.

6. paulhargis53 - Oct 11, 2012 at 2:27 PM

There are no freaking rules to fandom!
    That’s a lakerluver comment right there..

Who are you to tell a person how, when And who to root for?

The.mentality on this site amazes me.

You have no choice where you are born, so because Dad and Grandpa are Golden State fans, you’re supposed to be? No free will? Idiotic reasoning.

You sound like another Mensa member.

Rules of fandom,Jesus Christ….

7. liamj55 - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Hey keep being a fraud all your life. I guess you fail to notice the front name of the teams that has you know the CITY they play in for that cit they represent. But hey if you can wrap your small mind into reasoning “I am live in Milwaukee but the Lakers are my team. I love them from the 80s when they were winning all those championship” – I am sure you are an up standing human. Yeah I won’t judge you……. …

8. paulhargis53 - Oct 11, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Yeah, because the players and the owners show Sooo much loyalty.

Grow up dude. I don’t switch teams every year or anything, but there are no rules.

I’ve stayed true to my football team from childhood, its 1 state over from the one I live in. I have loved Sooner football since I was a kid, I don’t live in Oklahoma.

I am a Cubs fan because my Grandpa was. I don’t live in Illinois, my state had a team. In the NBA I have always followed players. It doesn’t mean I’m a bad fan. Everyone had reasons for why they are fans of certain teams. Good for you, you mindlessly follow teams because of geography.

Oh no, some nameless,faceless person on the net is judging me, what-ever will I do?!
    Moron.

9. drex1 - Oct 11, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Nah paul, not judging but liam right, supporting yr local team usually means years of watching games usually with pals going crazy with last second wins. In agony with last second/blow out losses. Discussing great games years later.. Following players isnt the same, imagine following lbj to the heat… 2 yrs and a championship already, thats too easy man

10. paulhargis53 - Oct 11, 2012 at 6:16 PM

drex: My football team is 2.5 hours from my hometown, its just in a different state. Being a Cubs fan, they are about 3.5 hours from me, again, in a different state.

I get the concept, I just don’t agree that their are arbitrary rules, especially handed down from some turd on the net.

My Grandpa and I enjoyed watching the Cubs together(even though they never win), but according to his logic, I’m supposed to be a Brewers fan. Why? Isn’t it up to me to decide who I root for, and why?
    I root against all Wisconsin teams on general principle( worst fans on the planet-as a collective-Packer fans especially) ( lakerluver is the single worst fan) There were no teams close outside of the Bucks, so I rooted for players.
    Again, who cares? It’s my fanhood, who is anyone else to tell me how to be a fan?

I like Garnett, do I like the Celtics.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches