Iguodala was frustrated in Philly, which somehow is news

Oct 11, 2012, 10:44 PM EDT

Andre Iguodala AP

Somehow, the fact Andre Iguodala was never quite comfortable or happy in Philadelphia, especially the last couple years, has become a story. I’m not sure how this is news to anybody, but here we are.

Iguodala has a unique set of skills but he was always mismatched in the Sixers offense, and he was never a favorite of fans in Philly who thought he didn’t produce enough to warrant his contract. Iggy saw it differently, saying he was asked to facilitate on offense, not score.

That’s not at all where Matt Moore, writing for CBSSports.com, went with his interview with Iguodala, he talked mostly about a player whose contributions often are undervalued. But when Iguodala talked about that, he talked about his frustrations in Philly.

“I haven’t really enjoyed basketball a whole lot the last couple of years,” Iguodala said. “Last year was a big year for us, but it was just draining for the criticism to be there every single day….”

“Once again, you get that perception that you’re just a defender, you’re just an athlete, blah, blah, blah,” Iguodala said. “I think that’s what the perception was based on my last two years in Philly because I was the facilitator. They didn’t want me to go out there and get 20-25 (per game) because when I got that, they said we couldn’t win….”

“So in Doug Collins’ first year, I didn’t shoot threes because he was like, ‘I don’t want you shooting threes, I don’t want that shot.’ Last year, I said, ‘I’m shooting it.’ And what happened? Shot 38 percent from three, top-25 in the NBA from three and I’m supposed to be a non-shooter. You put so much work in, and then to be told, ‘Don’t do what you worked on all summer.'”

Of course, there are plenty in Philly who are not going to pass up another chance to take a swing at Iggy.

Fortunately for us, Doug Collins wasn’t one of them. He took the high road talking to CSNPhilly.com.

“My feeling is I had a wonderful two years with ‘Dre,” Collins said. “I look back and I think he made me a better coach….

“Our first year, we were plus-14 wins and he was second-team All-Defense. Our next year, we go to the seventh game of the conference semifinals, and he makes the All-Star team and wins a gold medal. So I feel great about our time together.”

I think the guy that may make the most sense is Evan Turner talking to CSNPhilly.com.

“I think ‘Dre, whether he was frustrated or not, he still came out and played every night. He played hurt. You can’t really knock his opinion. It is his opinion and I am not going to knock him for how he feels because that is a personal thing. At the end of the day, it is about what the team needs from you and what the coach asks you to do. In Andre’s defense, he always did both. Last year, he was an All-Star, won a gold medal and got us to the second round.”

And he seems happy. Which clearly he was not the past couple years. I’m not really sure how that’s a surprise.

1. dennisund - Oct 11, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Umm, the 6ers were the prototypical fast break offense. Nice reporting.

• passerby23 - Oct 12, 2012 at 12:56 AM

I’m sorry, but Philly was among the worst offensive execution teams in the league last year. Their fast break scores were sporadic. Their lack of a go-to scorer/shot creator hurt them. Iguodala feeds off of quick playmakers (a la Ty Lawson) or set up men (a la Andre Miller) and where he’s the 2nd or 3rd option. I agree, he fits perfectly in Denver and should have a great year.

• tfoz5150 - Oct 12, 2012 at 9:11 PM

dude played with andre miller and he was still a stiff. iggy has no offense period. wait..wait. I take that back. He’s good for two monster dunks per game and he’ll likely chuck up a bunch of trees of which the majority will clank off the rim. the reason he was so unhappy. is bc he is an unhappy sob. for him to say he was unhappy the last two years. the only two years his team was any good is a joke. unfortunately for him that says a lot about him as a player and teammate. him breaking out this year in denver…yeah right!

2. jmclarkent - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Andre wasn’t terrible, but he consistently vanished in the clutch and against better talent.

3. eagles7to10 - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Obviously you don’t watch many Sixers games Kurt. You honestly just wrote that the Sixers DON’T have a fast tempo offense. That’s offensive. Their problem was they couldn’t run a half court offense and everything needed to be fast paced. Come on man.

• tfoz5150 - Oct 12, 2012 at 9:12 PM

this writer is a joke. a clear philly hater.

4. lancer255 - Oct 11, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Iggy is what he is. He acts as if Doug held him down smh. If had superior talent would Doug really tell him to hold back. Iggy is real nice third option on a good team.

5. bleed4philly - Oct 12, 2012 at 12:37 AM

The media is missing the point, we didn’t like Iggy because he was way overpaid for what he brought to the table. It held the tram back from getting a solid piece.

• dal24la - Oct 12, 2012 at 3:19 PM

How is he overpaid? Here is numbers from last contract. 08: $11.3 mil, 09:$12.3 mil, 10: $12.4, 11: $13.5. That’s an average of $12.38 million What does he do? He’s an above average 3pt shooter (only last year), one of the top 5 rebounding SFs, a top 5 perimeter defender, crazy athletic, and avg 15ppg for his career there and was a team player. He’s a bargain for $13.5 mil even with him miscast as a number one option.
      Next year he’ll make $14.97 then $16.2 the year after. Then he’ll be (slightly) overpaid.

• tfoz5150 - Oct 12, 2012 at 9:15 PM

you’ll see.. you’ll see. he doesn’t show up and he’s not that good. his shot sucks. he can flat out defend though. I’ll give you that. otherwise he is overpaid for what he does. seriously

• dal24la - Oct 13, 2012 at 3:55 AM

Ok well answer me this.
        Who would you rather have for close average of $12.5 million than AI? Luol Deng? Nicholas Batum? Eric Gordon? I think you can make argument he’s overpaid in general, but not relative to his peers…

6. xxakshunxx - Oct 12, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Blame ownership for iggy.. Big contract and then always put stiffs around him.. Once we finally got rid of Snider, Dre and the team finally started making strides

7. philadelphiafan - Oct 12, 2012 at 3:09 AM

Sixers vs. Nuggets opening night on Halloween at the Well. Gonna be a great game. I also hear Sixers are playing an Iggy tribute after the 1st quarter. As much as fans booed him, I’d be surprised to not see the majority of Sixer fans standing when his name is announced.

• tfoz5150 - Oct 12, 2012 at 9:17 PM

not after his recent comments they wont. if they still decide to do ceremony he’ll get booed mercilessly

8. billerific - Oct 12, 2012 at 5:32 AM

Andre is an emotionally flatlining sourpuss, which is never gonna go over well with the Philly fanbase. Just ask Donovan McNabb.

• tfoz5150 - Oct 12, 2012 at 9:18 PM

amen

9. mungman69 - Oct 12, 2012 at 7:06 AM

Matt Moore: Did you ever watch a game?

10. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 12, 2012 at 8:12 AM

“Philly never ran an offense that really played to Iguodala’s strengths, Denver does. Fast tempo, lots of touches, lots of chances to turn defense into offense and a green light to shoot any open shot. Use him right, like Team USA did in the Olympics, and he can be a force. Iguodala is the most George Karl of players, and he could have a monster year in Denver.”

I won’t get into how blatantly WRONG that statement is…the previous commenters have pretty much let you know that.

No, here’s the big question…if/when Iguodala struggles this season, will you come back on here and say how WRONG you were? Will you come on and say “What the hell was I thinking saying Iggy could have a monster year in Denver”? I doubt it.

Iguodala is what he is…a great defensive player and a lackluster, average scorer at best. I don’t care what you think of what the Sixers were as compared to the Nuggets. Can Iggy fill up a highlight reel? Of course…he has incredible athleticism. But he can’t create his own shot and simply can’t beat your mother off the dribble.

11. dannythebisforbeast - Oct 12, 2012 at 8:21 AM

much like Mcnabb Iggy will be shown for what he is. Third option paid as a 1. Good defender, sometimes lays up bricks. Not clutch upto this point in his career. The clutch part can be changed but I doubt it.

Philly fans may be rough on players but we usually know what we’re talking about

Yeah and Sixers played a lot of fastbreak O. Watch basketball much?

12. liamj55 - Oct 12, 2012 at 9:25 AM

This guy thinks he is sooo much better than he is. I am so glad he is not on the 76ers.

13. phillyphan83 - Oct 12, 2012 at 11:16 AM

No need to say anything, the rest of you covered it all.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches