Oct 10, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
Carmelo Anthony had a lot of success in the London Olympics playing the four spot — he is a matchup nightmare at the power forward spot. He can knock down the three, put the ball on the floor against slower guys and back down smaller defenders in the post. Mike Krzyzewski loved using him in that role.
Now that he’s back in New York, ‘Melo wants to get back to playing the three on the wing. Here is his quote, via ESPNNewYork.com.
“Right now, we have guys in that position. We want to keep it like that,” Anthony said Monday when asked about playing more power forward this year. “I’d rather play my natural position then go down there and play the 4, the 5 and things that I don’t really want to do. So with the guys that we have now, I find that we’re definitely that much more effective.”
Last season, when Amar’e Stoudemire was out, Anthony played more power forward and according to 82games.com had a PER of 29.5 at the four, 17.4 at the three.
I’d like to see a mix, personally. Depends on matchups, but the Knicks could go very small with Amar’e Stoudemire at the five and Anthony at the four (although there would be defensive issues). Or rest Stoudemire and play Anthony at the four with Tyson Chandler at center.
Anthony is going to spend most of his time where he wants, out on the wing. But if the Knicks offense is going to click, Anthony is going to have to trust his teammates, learn how to play nice with Stoudemire and make some sacrifices. Oh, and play some at the four, too.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 31
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 28
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?