Lin admits he’s still working way back from knee surgery

Oct 10, 2012, 10:35 AM EDT

Rockets Lin Basketball AP

Jeremy Lin has spent the summer playing down his knee issues that forced him to have surgery last season. Every time he was asked he said he was fine, he was 100 percent.

He’s not.

And he admitted he is not going to play extended minutes for the Rockets as they open the exhibition season, via the Houston Chronicle.

“My speed and my explosiveness and my agility (are not) there yet,” Lin said. “I’m still trying to recover from knee surgery and get to where I was pre-surgery. I probably won’t get to play too much. Hopefully, as the preseason goes on I’ll get to play more and more to build that endurance.”

The Rockets are going to need Lin at full strength if their playoff dreams… oh, who are we kidding, they don’t have any playoff dreams with or without him. It’s going to be a long season in Houston as they continue the quest to be bad enough to get a superstar through the draft (or maybe free agency).

But Lin is the face of the franchise now, the guy whose face is on billboards and banners all over Houston. So it would be nice to get him back, but they need to think long term and be patient. They have Lin for three seasons, no reason to push too hard for a game in October.

1. liamj55 - Oct 10, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Two questions with that photo:
    How cold is it in that Gym?
    Why are the Rockets wearing black and white instead of red?

• nokoolaidcowboy - Oct 10, 2012 at 5:12 PM

1. Some guys like to keep their legs warm, keep the blood flowing, reducing cramps is my guess.

2. Black and white looks better than red and white.

2. timb12 - Oct 10, 2012 at 2:00 PM

The Rockets will hover around .500 this year just like they always do. Mediocrity is a curse!

3. moseskkim - Oct 10, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Houston is in a good spot. Their ceiling is fighting for an 8th spot. And if they’re bad, they get a good lottery pick. The real good thing is they will be entertaining because of Lin.

• raycharlesj - Oct 11, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Yea Mo, it will be “entertaining” watching all the Hype about Lin evaporate and all the all world talk come back down to earth!!! as players like Chalmers show Lin how to survive in the NBA.

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches