Oct 10, 2012, 10:35 AM EDT
Jeremy Lin has spent the summer playing down his knee issues that forced him to have surgery last season. Every time he was asked he said he was fine, he was 100 percent.
And he admitted he is not going to play extended minutes for the Rockets as they open the exhibition season, via the Houston Chronicle.
“My speed and my explosiveness and my agility (are not) there yet,” Lin said. “I’m still trying to recover from knee surgery and get to where I was pre-surgery. I probably won’t get to play too much. Hopefully, as the preseason goes on I’ll get to play more and more to build that endurance.”
The Rockets are going to need Lin at full strength if their playoff dreams… oh, who are we kidding, they don’t have any playoff dreams with or without him. It’s going to be a long season in Houston as they continue the quest to be bad enough to get a superstar through the draft (or maybe free agency).
But Lin is the face of the franchise now, the guy whose face is on billboards and banners all over Houston. So it would be nice to get him back, but they need to think long term and be patient. They have Lin for three seasons, no reason to push too hard for a game in October.
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 2
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 4
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 22
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 14
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement