Oct 10, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT
It is the most iconic signature shot in the history of the NBA — Kareem Abdul-Jabbar would get the ball on the low right block, rock toward the middle to make the defender shift, then roll back to baseline with his left shoulder creating space while his right hand took the ball ridiculously high for the “skyhook.”
It was indefensible.
A year ago, LeBron James adopted elements of Hakeem Olajuwon’s Dream Shake. This time around, the Miami Heat star forward is implementing Kareem Abdul-Jabbar’s patented skyhook….
James vows to add the traditional hook shot to his game, and he could test it out when the Heat play a pair of exhibition games this week in China against the Los Angeles Clippers. (Heat assistant coach Bob) McAdoo proudly acknowledges that James is continuing to build a foundation of post moves that took root two summers ago in Houston with (Hakeem) Olajuwon.
James’ hook, if he breaks it out that often (my guess is LeBron will fall back on power moves mostly when he posts up) will not look like Kareem’s for reasons even James can’t match — Kareem had an insanely high release point on his skyhook that was paired with a feathery soft touch. There’s a reason he’s scored more points than anyone in NBA history.
But some things can be the same. What made the skyhook work for KAJ was that if you overplayed it he had a quick spin to the middle and he could finish at the rim with either hand, and his footwork was fantastic. The skyhook was the signature, but it wasn’t the only post move you had to stop. It is the same with LeBron, who has some of Olajuwon’s Dream Shake (which was really a series of moves and counters). There isn’t just one move, there is a variety. You can’t stop LeBron one-on-one on the block because of it and once the double comes he can pass out to open shooters.
But man, I would really love to see LeBron break out an old-school sweeping hook shot. I love the throwback moves.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4