Oct 10, 2012, 11:11 AM EDT
Kobe Bryant has a very distinctive motivational style for himself and his teammates — he’s an a******.
That’s not how he would phrase it, speaking to the media Tuesday he said he liked to make players “uncomfortable” during practice and that included barking at them. Pushing his competitiveness on them. Making them push themselves.
“Magic was like that. You saw Magic barking at guys. He was the point guard, the general, so you saw him yelling instructions a lot. And he’s extremely competitive. But he still played the game with a smile on his face.”
Just like Shaquille O’Neal, right?
“No. They’re different,” Bryant said. “Shaq was a goofball. But Shaq was a big a——. I was a little a——. It worked well. Dwight has a lot of that in him. He just needs to bring it out and make guys pay every single day.”
Dwight is like Shaq in the combo of goofball and world’s best center. But Shaq was great at picking times to flip between the two, I’m not sure Howard is as smooth at that.
But maybe a new setting and playing with Kobe and Steve Nash — another guy with a lot going on off the court — will show him the way.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23