Oct 10, 2012, 11:11 AM EDT
Kobe Bryant has a very distinctive motivational style for himself and his teammates — he’s an a******.
That’s not how he would phrase it, speaking to the media Tuesday he said he liked to make players “uncomfortable” during practice and that included barking at them. Pushing his competitiveness on them. Making them push themselves.
“Magic was like that. You saw Magic barking at guys. He was the point guard, the general, so you saw him yelling instructions a lot. And he’s extremely competitive. But he still played the game with a smile on his face.”
Just like Shaquille O’Neal, right?
“No. They’re different,” Bryant said. “Shaq was a goofball. But Shaq was a big a——. I was a little a——. It worked well. Dwight has a lot of that in him. He just needs to bring it out and make guys pay every single day.”
Dwight is like Shaq in the combo of goofball and world’s best center. But Shaq was great at picking times to flip between the two, I’m not sure Howard is as smooth at that.
But maybe a new setting and playing with Kobe and Steve Nash — another guy with a lot going on off the court — will show him the way.
- Report: Dwight Howard told Lakers GM he was frustrated with D’Antoni 1
- Durant, Thunder players tweet out support for Oklahoma City 5
- Brothers allege entourage of Damian Lillard beat them for taking his picture 17
- Amar’e Stoudemire still thinks Knicks’ front court trio can work 17
- Report: Dwight Howard not going to Clippers… did we need a report for that? 18
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (119)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (73)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay