Oct 10, 2012, 11:11 AM EDT
Kobe Bryant has a very distinctive motivational style for himself and his teammates — he’s an a******.
That’s not how he would phrase it, speaking to the media Tuesday he said he liked to make players “uncomfortable” during practice and that included barking at them. Pushing his competitiveness on them. Making them push themselves.
“Magic was like that. You saw Magic barking at guys. He was the point guard, the general, so you saw him yelling instructions a lot. And he’s extremely competitive. But he still played the game with a smile on his face.”
Just like Shaquille O’Neal, right?
“No. They’re different,” Bryant said. “Shaq was a goofball. But Shaq was a big a——. I was a little a——. It worked well. Dwight has a lot of that in him. He just needs to bring it out and make guys pay every single day.”
Dwight is like Shaq in the combo of goofball and world’s best center. But Shaq was great at picking times to flip between the two, I’m not sure Howard is as smooth at that.
But maybe a new setting and playing with Kobe and Steve Nash — another guy with a lot going on off the court — will show him the way.
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars