Oct 10, 2012, 5:21 PM EST
It feels like every training camp we hear the same thing out of Atlanta — “this year we are going to really run, be more up tempo. We swear.” Then every year once the games start the Hawks return to their three-toed sloth tempo. They have finished in the bottom 10 in pace in the league the past four seasons.
But this year is different. They swear. Coach Larry Drew has been all about defense then fast breaks in training camp. Get the stop then get out in transition. That’s all the practices have focused on.
So much so that they haven’t worked on post play yet in camp — and Al Horford wants to. Here is what he told the Atlanta Journal Constitution.
“You need to have an inside presence,” Horford said. “You can’t just sit around and shoot jumpers all day. We have to have a paint presence. We have to establish that. In camp, we have really been focusing on the defensive stuff and getting out and running but at some point we are going to have to address it.”
With guys on the roster like Horford and Josh Smith, it would be foolish to just run and live from the outside where guys like Jeff Teague and Mo Williams are taking the shots. What do you think is the higher percentage, Teague from 18 feet or Horford from 5 feet? Exactly.
Horford is right, there needs to be a balance. The Hawks played good defense last season (sixth in defensive efficiency in the league) but they were average on offense. If they get out and run, if they can get just a few easy baskets in transition before the defense sets, that will help. They could use to be faster. But they still have some potent half-court weapons and if you don’t get Horford a lot of touches down on the block you are doing it wrong.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 9
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18