Oct 10, 2012, 5:21 PM EDT
It feels like every training camp we hear the same thing out of Atlanta — “this year we are going to really run, be more up tempo. We swear.” Then every year once the games start the Hawks return to their three-toed sloth tempo. They have finished in the bottom 10 in pace in the league the past four seasons.
But this year is different. They swear. Coach Larry Drew has been all about defense then fast breaks in training camp. Get the stop then get out in transition. That’s all the practices have focused on.
So much so that they haven’t worked on post play yet in camp — and Al Horford wants to. Here is what he told the Atlanta Journal Constitution.
“You need to have an inside presence,” Horford said. “You can’t just sit around and shoot jumpers all day. We have to have a paint presence. We have to establish that. In camp, we have really been focusing on the defensive stuff and getting out and running but at some point we are going to have to address it.”
With guys on the roster like Horford and Josh Smith, it would be foolish to just run and live from the outside where guys like Jeff Teague and Mo Williams are taking the shots. What do you think is the higher percentage, Teague from 18 feet or Horford from 5 feet? Exactly.
Horford is right, there needs to be a balance. The Hawks played good defense last season (sixth in defensive efficiency in the league) but they were average on offense. If they get out and run, if they can get just a few easy baskets in transition before the defense sets, that will help. They could use to be faster. But they still have some potent half-court weapons and if you don’t get Horford a lot of touches down on the block you are doing it wrong.
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 0
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 6
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 21