Oct 10, 2012, 5:21 PM EST
It feels like every training camp we hear the same thing out of Atlanta — “this year we are going to really run, be more up tempo. We swear.” Then every year once the games start the Hawks return to their three-toed sloth tempo. They have finished in the bottom 10 in pace in the league the past four seasons.
But this year is different. They swear. Coach Larry Drew has been all about defense then fast breaks in training camp. Get the stop then get out in transition. That’s all the practices have focused on.
So much so that they haven’t worked on post play yet in camp — and Al Horford wants to. Here is what he told the Atlanta Journal Constitution.
“You need to have an inside presence,” Horford said. “You can’t just sit around and shoot jumpers all day. We have to have a paint presence. We have to establish that. In camp, we have really been focusing on the defensive stuff and getting out and running but at some point we are going to have to address it.”
With guys on the roster like Horford and Josh Smith, it would be foolish to just run and live from the outside where guys like Jeff Teague and Mo Williams are taking the shots. What do you think is the higher percentage, Teague from 18 feet or Horford from 5 feet? Exactly.
Horford is right, there needs to be a balance. The Hawks played good defense last season (sixth in defensive efficiency in the league) but they were average on offense. If they get out and run, if they can get just a few easy baskets in transition before the defense sets, that will help. They could use to be faster. But they still have some potent half-court weapons and if you don’t get Horford a lot of touches down on the block you are doing it wrong.
- Report: Sixers a viable trade destination for Omer Asik 0
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 2
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 25
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 8
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (45)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)