Oct 10, 2012, 5:21 PM EST
It feels like every training camp we hear the same thing out of Atlanta — “this year we are going to really run, be more up tempo. We swear.” Then every year once the games start the Hawks return to their three-toed sloth tempo. They have finished in the bottom 10 in pace in the league the past four seasons.
But this year is different. They swear. Coach Larry Drew has been all about defense then fast breaks in training camp. Get the stop then get out in transition. That’s all the practices have focused on.
So much so that they haven’t worked on post play yet in camp — and Al Horford wants to. Here is what he told the Atlanta Journal Constitution.
“You need to have an inside presence,” Horford said. “You can’t just sit around and shoot jumpers all day. We have to have a paint presence. We have to establish that. In camp, we have really been focusing on the defensive stuff and getting out and running but at some point we are going to have to address it.”
With guys on the roster like Horford and Josh Smith, it would be foolish to just run and live from the outside where guys like Jeff Teague and Mo Williams are taking the shots. What do you think is the higher percentage, Teague from 18 feet or Horford from 5 feet? Exactly.
Horford is right, there needs to be a balance. The Hawks played good defense last season (sixth in defensive efficiency in the league) but they were average on offense. If they get out and run, if they can get just a few easy baskets in transition before the defense sets, that will help. They could use to be faster. But they still have some potent half-court weapons and if you don’t get Horford a lot of touches down on the block you are doing it wrong.
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 14
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 11
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 34
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 18
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 21
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (46)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)