Oct 10, 2012, 2:14 PM EST
Wednesday night is the first time Brandon Roy will step on an NBA court since he left the Portland Trail Blazers. When he left the questions were about the condition of his knees.
After a year off, blood spinning treatments and more he is back, now with the Minnesota Timberwolves.
“The knees have been great. We went at it pretty hard the last five days, been going for about three hours. I think a big question in the back of my mind was, ‘How will the knees hold up with some grueling practices?’ And after coming out of all those practices, I feel just as good as I did going in
Okay, that’s part of it. The other part is that the Roy we saw at the end of his time in Portland was a slow-moving shadow of the All-Star Roy who dominated games. Roy says his game is all good as well.
If I’m able to make a move on a guy and get a step, my first mindset is to get to that basket and draw a foul or draw some kind of a response where we create a shot for our team. That’s a huge part of my game. If I wasn’t able to get to the basket and have confidence in doing that, then I wouldn’t have tried to make this comeback. That was the first thing that I told myself, ‘Can I still create and get to the hoop? ‘And I’ve been able to do so. I don’t want to just sit out there and settle for jump shots.”
We will see. If the Timberwolves even get a league average, solid replacement level out of Roy this season that will be a big upgrade for them. And if there is something more, well, Minnesota is going to be a fun team to watch this season.
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 17
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 4
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11