Oct 10, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Wednesday night is the first time Brandon Roy will step on an NBA court since he left the Portland Trail Blazers. When he left the questions were about the condition of his knees.
After a year off, blood spinning treatments and more he is back, now with the Minnesota Timberwolves.
“The knees have been great. We went at it pretty hard the last five days, been going for about three hours. I think a big question in the back of my mind was, ‘How will the knees hold up with some grueling practices?’ And after coming out of all those practices, I feel just as good as I did going in
Okay, that’s part of it. The other part is that the Roy we saw at the end of his time in Portland was a slow-moving shadow of the All-Star Roy who dominated games. Roy says his game is all good as well.
If I’m able to make a move on a guy and get a step, my first mindset is to get to that basket and draw a foul or draw some kind of a response where we create a shot for our team. That’s a huge part of my game. If I wasn’t able to get to the basket and have confidence in doing that, then I wouldn’t have tried to make this comeback. That was the first thing that I told myself, ‘Can I still create and get to the hoop? ‘And I’ve been able to do so. I don’t want to just sit out there and settle for jump shots.”
We will see. If the Timberwolves even get a league average, solid replacement level out of Roy this season that will be a big upgrade for them. And if there is something more, well, Minnesota is going to be a fun team to watch this season.
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 0
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 16
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 13
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 24
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Chicago Bulls vs. Milwaukee Bucks 8