Brandon Roy says his knees are good, he’s ready to go

Oct 10, 2012, 2:14 PM EST

Timberwolves Roy Basketball AP

Wednesday night is the first time Brandon Roy will step on an NBA court since he left the Portland Trail Blazers. When he left the questions were about the condition of his knees.

After a year off, blood spinning treatments and more he is back, now with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

So, how do the knees feel? Roy told Paul Allen on KFAN in Minneapolis (no, not that Paul Allen) everything is good. (Hat tip to Sports Radio Interviews.)

“The knees have been great. We went at it pretty hard the last five days, been going for about three hours. I think a big question in the back of my mind was, ‘How will the knees hold up with some grueling practices?’ And after coming out of all those practices, I feel just as good as I did going in

Okay, that’s part of it. The other part is that the Roy we saw at the end of his time in Portland was a slow-moving shadow of the All-Star Roy who dominated games. Roy says his game is all good as well.

If I’m able to make a move on a guy and get a step, my first mindset is to get to that basket and draw a foul or draw some kind of a response where we create a shot for our team. That’s a huge part of my game. If I wasn’t able to get to the basket and have confidence in doing that, then I wouldn’t have tried to make this comeback. That was the first thing that I told myself, ‘Can I still create and get to the hoop? ‘And I’ve been able to do so. I don’t want to just sit out there and settle for jump shots.”

We will see. If the Timberwolves even get a league average, solid replacement level out of Roy this season that will be a big upgrade for them. And if there is something more, well, Minnesota is going to be a fun team to watch this season.

1. dysraw1 - Oct 10, 2012 at 2:24 PM

all the best dude

2. michaeljordanseviltwin - Oct 10, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I believe him. Everything’s fine. He’ll make the all-star team and the Timberwolves will surprise everybody by making the conference finals.

• southpaw77 - Nov 19, 2012 at 2:52 AM

I got a bridge to sell you also, you want it? Send me your bank account with routing number and I’ll set up the transaction.

3. misterdreamer119 - Oct 10, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Good luck brandon.

4. flyingvien - Oct 10, 2012 at 3:24 PM

As a MN sports fan, I’m quite worried that I’m way too optimistic about this seaz.

5. eugenesaxe - Oct 10, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Let us know what he says after 50-60 games. Now means nothing.

6. 00maltliquor - Oct 11, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Of course he’s gonna say that, what else is he gonna say? He’s a fierce competitor and wants to start and get starters minutes. I don’t think he’s ever came to terms with the fact his body took a dump on him. But if he IS right…….ooooweeee! Look out, the T Wolves have officially entered the buildin’!!

7. jordanismyidol - Oct 11, 2012 at 4:45 AM

Lets go B Roy!

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches