Oct 9, 2012, 10:07 AM EDT
Optimism is running very high in Boston.
Last season the Celtics made a run all the way to Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals, then this summer the Celtics added Jason Terry and Jeff Green — they got deeper and better. So expectations are high.
“I think it’s our best shot,” Rondo said. “Not to discredit the 2008 (championship) team that we had, but if this team buys into the system and listens to (coach) Doc (Rivers), the sky is the limit. The championship could be ours. Not a lot of teams can say they can compete for a championship each year, and definitely this year with the talent we have, that’s our one goal.”
We’ll see. The 2008 team already climbed that mountain so it’s a tough comparison. For any team to win a championship there needs to be a little luck involved, such as players staying healthy. Boston will need a big season out of rookie Jared Sullinger to help give Kevin Garnett’s legs some rest. Boston needs KG and Paul Pierce to play at a high level and be rested for the playoffs.
Then, of course, is that little problem of Miami in the East (and the Thunder and Lakers if they get to the finals). But lets get to the playoffs as contenders before we deal with that step.
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 32
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 14
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 8
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 22
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 55
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0