Oct 9, 2012, 10:07 AM EDT
Optimism is running very high in Boston.
Last season the Celtics made a run all the way to Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals, then this summer the Celtics added Jason Terry and Jeff Green — they got deeper and better. So expectations are high.
“I think it’s our best shot,” Rondo said. “Not to discredit the 2008 (championship) team that we had, but if this team buys into the system and listens to (coach) Doc (Rivers), the sky is the limit. The championship could be ours. Not a lot of teams can say they can compete for a championship each year, and definitely this year with the talent we have, that’s our one goal.”
We’ll see. The 2008 team already climbed that mountain so it’s a tough comparison. For any team to win a championship there needs to be a little luck involved, such as players staying healthy. Boston will need a big season out of rookie Jared Sullinger to help give Kevin Garnett’s legs some rest. Boston needs KG and Paul Pierce to play at a high level and be rested for the playoffs.
Then, of course, is that little problem of Miami in the East (and the Thunder and Lakers if they get to the finals). But lets get to the playoffs as contenders before we deal with that step.
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 20
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 12
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10