Oct 9, 2012, 10:07 AM EST
Optimism is running very high in Boston.
Last season the Celtics made a run all the way to Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals, then this summer the Celtics added Jason Terry and Jeff Green — they got deeper and better. So expectations are high.
“I think it’s our best shot,” Rondo said. “Not to discredit the 2008 (championship) team that we had, but if this team buys into the system and listens to (coach) Doc (Rivers), the sky is the limit. The championship could be ours. Not a lot of teams can say they can compete for a championship each year, and definitely this year with the talent we have, that’s our one goal.”
We’ll see. The 2008 team already climbed that mountain so it’s a tough comparison. For any team to win a championship there needs to be a little luck involved, such as players staying healthy. Boston will need a big season out of rookie Jared Sullinger to help give Kevin Garnett’s legs some rest. Boston needs KG and Paul Pierce to play at a high level and be rested for the playoffs.
Then, of course, is that little problem of Miami in the East (and the Thunder and Lakers if they get to the finals). But lets get to the playoffs as contenders before we deal with that step.
- Duke’s Jabari Parker doesn’t back away from Carmelo Anthony comparison 5
- Michael Carter-Williams returns to Sixers lineup Friday against Nets 5
- Report: Bulls not looking to trade Luol Deng. Why would you think that? 13
- Kendrick Perkins tells Joakim Noah to “get your a– up out’ of Thunder locker room 35
- The Extra Pass: Chicago’s never-ending story, plus Thursday’s recaps 2
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee (68)
- LeBron did foul Paul George on final shot but there was no call (VIDEO) (60)
- Chicago columnist hammers Derrick Rose as no longer humble star (56)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- LeBron angrily goes after Mario Chalmers on the Heat bench (VIDEO) (50)