Oct 9, 2012, 10:07 AM EST
Optimism is running very high in Boston.
Last season the Celtics made a run all the way to Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals, then this summer the Celtics added Jason Terry and Jeff Green — they got deeper and better. So expectations are high.
“I think it’s our best shot,” Rondo said. “Not to discredit the 2008 (championship) team that we had, but if this team buys into the system and listens to (coach) Doc (Rivers), the sky is the limit. The championship could be ours. Not a lot of teams can say they can compete for a championship each year, and definitely this year with the talent we have, that’s our one goal.”
We’ll see. The 2008 team already climbed that mountain so it’s a tough comparison. For any team to win a championship there needs to be a little luck involved, such as players staying healthy. Boston will need a big season out of rookie Jared Sullinger to help give Kevin Garnett’s legs some rest. Boston needs KG and Paul Pierce to play at a high level and be rested for the playoffs.
Then, of course, is that little problem of Miami in the East (and the Thunder and Lakers if they get to the finals). But lets get to the playoffs as contenders before we deal with that step.
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 28
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 5
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 17
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 15
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 25
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8