Oct 9, 2012, 8:01 AM EDT
We showed you the highlight of Allen Iverson crossing over a guy in China that looked just like the old days (then missing the shot, which looked like the new days).
But that one play is not the reality.
The play was part of Iverson playing in an exhibition in China against Stephon Marbury’s Beijing Ducks. One of the goals of that exhibition, get Iverson a contract in China (like Tracy McGrady).
According to a source who is close with Iverson and the other team members, his training was claimed to have been sporadic at best, and lacking any form of regimental training systems. His body’s condition appeared to be in poor shape, and was deemed to be unable to sustain himself in highly intensive competitions. With his current performance and abilities on the court, he would be unable to perform in the CBA. Therefore, his chances of joining the CBA are as low as to be virtually nil….
The Beijing Ducks won the USA invitational team in an exhibition game, and Iverson scored four points in what could be best described as a poor showing. Despite his massive popularity, his performance was subpar, lacking his trademark explosiveness and offensive firepower. His speed, resistance and other physical factors had noticeably degraded. Iverson had earlier claimed to be in training for potential participation in the CBA, but it appears that the situation is not what he had promised during the earlier promotional activities
The report goes on to say that Iverson is still asking for $1 million a year.
And this is where the road ends.
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 4
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 7
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 11
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 4
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 37
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1