Oct 9, 2012, 8:01 AM EDT
We showed you the highlight of Allen Iverson crossing over a guy in China that looked just like the old days (then missing the shot, which looked like the new days).
But that one play is not the reality.
The play was part of Iverson playing in an exhibition in China against Stephon Marbury’s Beijing Ducks. One of the goals of that exhibition, get Iverson a contract in China (like Tracy McGrady).
According to a source who is close with Iverson and the other team members, his training was claimed to have been sporadic at best, and lacking any form of regimental training systems. His body’s condition appeared to be in poor shape, and was deemed to be unable to sustain himself in highly intensive competitions. With his current performance and abilities on the court, he would be unable to perform in the CBA. Therefore, his chances of joining the CBA are as low as to be virtually nil….
The Beijing Ducks won the USA invitational team in an exhibition game, and Iverson scored four points in what could be best described as a poor showing. Despite his massive popularity, his performance was subpar, lacking his trademark explosiveness and offensive firepower. His speed, resistance and other physical factors had noticeably degraded. Iverson had earlier claimed to be in training for potential participation in the CBA, but it appears that the situation is not what he had promised during the earlier promotional activities
The report goes on to say that Iverson is still asking for $1 million a year.
And this is where the road ends.
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 2
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 9
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 3
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 22
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68