Kobe has mentored Dwight Howard for years. Secretly.

Oct 9, 2012, 12:38 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

It became a big story last season, when Dwight Howard was on the trading block and reportedly did not want to come to Los Angeles following a conversation with Kobe Bryant where Kobe made it clear the Lakers were his team. (How much of that leak was Howard and how much was the talkative people around Howard is up for debate.)

It was assumed as part of it that Kobe and Howard didn’t have much of a relationship. But that was not the case — they had been talking for years. Not just at All-Star Games and the like, but real mentoring conversations.

Howard laid it all out for Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated in a fantastic profile.

“What people don’t know is that this is one of the guys who I’ve been talking to for about four years now,” Howard said. “And he has been an amazing help to me, just pushing me in ways — secretly because we played in the Eastern and Western Conference. But it’s been him just talking to me, showing me how to do certain things with my team and things like that…

“I told [Bryant] as soon as I got here, ‘Hey, I want to be one of the greatest to ever play. I want you to push me every day,’ ” Howard said. “And he was like, ‘I’m going to push you, because I see something in you, and I want to make sure that I do my part.’ And I promised him that I’m going to do whatever I can do.”

I bet there are more guys than we know who turn to Kobe now as a mentor, as a guy who has been there and done that and knows what it takes to win. What it takes to stay on top.

We’re going to learn a lot about Howard the next couple of years, it’s not about what Kobe tells him anymore. The level of pressure on him is different. Right now he sounds like his old, happy-go-lucky self in the interview with Amick. But how does he adapt that personality to the brighter spotlight he is in now, and how does he handle the pressure — from Kobe, from other teammates, from the fans — as the Lakers move toward the playoffs. The Lakers as an organization don’t see making the finals as a successful season.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Joe Johnson “pumped” that Deron Williams bought out by Nets

Jul 31, 2015, 12:52 PM EDT

joe johnson nets sleeved alternates

Johnson makes $24.9 million, but this is the last year of his contract.

2. Report: Knicks to sign Thanasis Antetokounmpo

Jul 31, 2015, 12:47 PM EDT

20141220 Westchester Knicks at Maine Red Claws Getty Images

New York drafted Giannis Antetokounmpo’s brother last year

3. Report: 76ers second-rounder J.P. Tokoto won’t sign with Philadelphia

Jul 31, 2015, 10:23 AM EDT

Houston Rockets v Philadelphia 76ers Getty Images

No. 58 pick will reportedly head overseas or to D-League

4. Knicks waive Ricky Ledo

Jul 31, 2015, 9:21 AM EDT

Ricky Ledo AP

Guard didn’t show much in short stint in New York

5. NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure

Jul 31, 2015, 8:35 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptu5nzjmmwjlotdhnzrhn2iwytixngrhnwi2yzqwyjzk AP

“One thing to come out of this will be more camps, more clinics, more games, more youth competition, and from that you get into infrastructure, and building more courts.” —Masai Ujiri, Raptors GM and native Nigerian

6. Mark Cuban says trading for Rajon Rondo was tough call, “came down to a coin flip”

Jul 31, 2015, 7:59 AM EDT

Houston Rockets v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

“And the coin flip was as much about, is there going to be anything else that we could do? Because we knew we had to do something.” —Mark Cuban on trading for Rajon Rondo.

7. Pau Gasol on Fred Hoiberg: “I think we’ll play with a better flow offensively”

Jul 30, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT

Pau Gasol Pau Gasol

Hoiberg has a much stronger offensive reputation than Tom Thibodeau.

8. Blazers waive Brendan Haywood after acquiring him from Cavs

Jul 30, 2015, 10:43 PM EDT

Brendan Haywood, Michael Beasley Brendan Haywood, Michael Beasley

Portland received Mike Miller and two second-round picks in addition to Haywood.

9. Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach

Jul 30, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

Austin Toros v Texas Legends Austin Toros v Texas Legends

Lieberman would be the second female assistant coach, after Becky Hammon

10. Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession

Jul 30, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT

Mike Scott Mike Scott

Scott was charged with possession of marijuana and MDMA.

11. Josh Smith clarifies “harder on me” comments in Players Tribune essay

Jul 30, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers Introduce Free Agent Signings Los Angeles Clippers Introduce Free Agent Signings

Smith says he was talking more about family stability than money in his controversial comments.

12. Tony Parker says for Spurs this is “last crack at it to try to win it all”

Jul 30, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT

Tony Parker, Tim Duncan Tony Parker, Tim Duncan

In what will be the last year for Duncan and Manu Ginobili, not to mention David West’s long career, there will be plenty of desperation and energy in San Antonio.

13. Flip Saunders: Kevin Garnett will start for Timberwolves

Jul 30, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT

Kevin Garnett AP

Will Karl-Anthony Towns, Nikola Pekovic or Gorgui Dieng start beside him?

Top 10 NBA Player Searches
  1. K. Bryant (2712)
  2. B. Haywood (2267)
  3. I. Thomas (2141)
  4. L. James (1861)
  5. A. Randolph (1860)
  1. M. Miller (1841)
  2. G. Robinson III (1741)
  3. N. Young (1706)