Kevin Garnett can’t be bothered to learn rookies’ names

Oct 9, 2012, 4:33 PM EDT

Italy Celtics  EA7 Emporio Armani Basketball AP

Hey rook, Kevin Garnett will bother to learn your name when you prove it’s worth his time. And you are nowhere close. Nowhere. Close.

It’s almost a running joke, around the Celtics facilities Garnett does not bother to call Boston’s crop of rookies by their names. Hasn’t in the past, he’s not going to start now.

I mean, why should he.

Jessica Camerato of CSNNE.com had the idea to ask the rookies what KG calls them, here are some highlights.

Fab Melo: “The Youngin. [He calls] everybody Youngin. Oh, and Melo. He calls me by my last name . . . He never calls me Fab. I don’t really care about that stuff. In Brazil, we don’t care. We call first name, last name, it doesn’t really matter. I don’t mind.”

Dionte Christmas: “He called me Temple (Christmas’ alma mater, Temple University). It was cool, it was alright. I respect it.”

Jared Sullinger: “Youngin.”

I love the way these guys say they are cool with it, as if KG cares.

We’re going to miss Garnett when he’s gone. The next crop of rookie’s won’t, but we will.

1. cakemixa - Oct 9, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Story of the year. Brilliant.

2. manchestermiracle - Oct 9, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I like KG, but that’s just snotty.

• jjordannba - Oct 9, 2012 at 6:01 PM

If your a little women

• beavertonsteve - Oct 9, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Ooh a Louisa May Alcott reference on PBT impressive.

• jjordannba - Oct 9, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I don’t know who that is

• manchestermiracle - Oct 10, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Well, you can’t spell so it stands to reason you don’t read much, either.

• 24thesho - Oct 10, 2012 at 1:48 PM

“If you’re a little woman”, is what you were trying to type, I believe. Your = no, you’re = yes.
        Woman = singular, women = plural. If you were really pimpin’, you would know the difference.

• hehateme2 - Oct 10, 2012 at 12:01 PM

He’s a tool… always has been

3. misterdreamer119 - Oct 9, 2012 at 5:21 PM

In the nfl this norm.

4. bucsnsincity - Oct 9, 2012 at 5:41 PM

So KG doesn’t know Dionte Christmas name, but he does know he went to Temple university….

5. ohsoblessed1 - Oct 9, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Gotta respect KG and his game and career, but he sure can be an A**.

6. dwightkurtschute - Oct 9, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Sooooo if KG is a d**k it’s a good thing?? Could the author be sniffing his jock any harder?

7. jjordannba - Oct 9, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Listen guys there’s nothing snotty or A-holish about this. He knows there names and is not doing it in “you are worthy yet” type of way. It’s more in the manor of what all Vets do to rookies when they come in. Like Rookie pranks and rookies run all the team errands and all that. KG actually mentors and looks out for all the younger players on the Celtics.

• bozosforall - Oct 10, 2012 at 1:27 AM

The words are “their” and “manner”, New England high school dropout. Drunk and stupid are no way to go through life…even if it is deemed acceptable by the rest of your fellow idiot Boston colleagues.

• bobwsc - Oct 10, 2012 at 11:31 AM

and here people are calling KG an a-hole.

correct that.

• bozosforall - Oct 10, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Because he IS an a-hole. Always has been, always will be.

• bougin89 - Oct 10, 2012 at 1:24 PM

@Bobwsc….right on. 2 thumbs up for you.

• bozosforall - Oct 10, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Ounds like you and bob are in love with each other. Good luck with the upcoming nuptials.

• jjordannba - Oct 10, 2012 at 2:38 PM

I’m not from Boston nor have I ever been

• bozosforall - Oct 10, 2012 at 11:52 PM

You sure slurp enough Boston dong to qualify.

• bougin89 - Oct 11, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Bozo…that is about as true as Allen Iverson winning 3 football state championships.

• bozosforall - Oct 17, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Iverson won both football and basketball state titles…much more impressive than your prized participation ribbon in mixed-gender little league soccer.

• bougin89 - Oct 17, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Bozo, thank you for admitting I was right about Allen Iverson.

• bozosforall - Oct 17, 2012 at 9:55 PM

You werent right about anything, loser boy.

• bougin89 - Oct 18, 2012 at 10:01 AM

You stated Allen Iverson won 3 state football championships in high school. I said you were wrong while stating he won a football and basketball state title his junior year. You were wrong, I was right. It’s not surprising as you don’t post much on this site that isn’t either a petty insult or factually incorrect.

Please see the article about Rajon Rondo saying he dreamed of being a QB for reference.

• bozosforall - Oct 19, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Funny to watch you jerk yourself off over some petty claim that you were right and someone else was wrong. Just shows how much you have no life in the real world. Enjoy the rest of your loser existence in your moms basement.

• bougin89 - Oct 22, 2012 at 11:45 AM

‘A’ for effort. ‘F’ for another petty insult. Nice job of again validating another one of my posts.

• bozosforall - Oct 22, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Such a pity that you have to resort to posts on an Internet message board to attempt to validate anything in your miserable life. Don’t worry…your mommy will still dry your little tears once the world has its way with her widdle boy.

• bougin89 - Oct 23, 2012 at 10:14 AM

It is hilarious that you don’t realize how much you contradict yourself with every post.

• bozosforall - Oct 23, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Not near as hilarious as you desperate Boston losers, trying to glom onto the successes of the hired mercenaries that play for your local teams. You all FAIL.

• bougin89 - Oct 24, 2012 at 9:55 AM

How Ironic Bozo, another failed petty insult with no factual basis. I’m not a Boston fan nor have I ever said I was a Boston fan. I’ve never even been to Boston. Swing. And. Miss.

• bozosforall - Oct 24, 2012 at 10:41 PM

You are a loser nonetheless. Keep taking the bait, you big chump. I’ll keep laughing at your weak comebacks, so keep them coming.

• bougin89 - Oct 25, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Why would I resort to throwing useless insults and personal attacks over the internet like you do so often? That’s cheap and petty. Go back and look at all my comments, not once do I throw out a lame, teenage-like insult like you on almost every post you make.

• bozosforall - Oct 25, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Yet you continue to criticize me from your ivory tower. Get over yourself, you big loser. You aren’t anything special.

• bougin89 - Oct 26, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Wrong again. Other than calling your personal insults directed at me petty and cheap(which they are), I have not criticized you once. Try re-reading this convo and see who is being reasonable and who isn’t. This will be my last post on this matter. If it makes you feel better please go ahead and reply with another useless(and again, cheap and petty) insult.

• bozosforall - Oct 29, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Enjoy your little ivory tower, bungin69.

• Legacy112 - Oct 10, 2012 at 4:09 PM

jjordannba… Good comment, just make sure to check your grammar. Don’t give haters fuel to burn you.

Real a-holes will find any error you make so they can finally use their long list of hateful name calling to make themselves feel superior to you. Your arrogance is pitiful bozo.

• bozosforall - Oct 24, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Not near as bad as your pathetic crying, loser.

8. 1972wasalongtimeago - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:47 PM

They shouldnt Feel bad. KG doesn’t know Ray Allen’s phone number either.

• bahston - Oct 9, 2012 at 10:56 PM

That’s wicked funny! Best laugh of the day.

9. misterdreamer119 - Oct 9, 2012 at 9:48 PM

K. Motherfu@$& G. Respect.
    White Howard. Paint you face clown. Darkos gonna kill you.

10. itsonlyaspeedbump - Oct 9, 2012 at 11:33 PM

It seems as if every time KG gets a post on this site, it’s because he is doing something that is immature, although consistently it gets the “leader” and “ultimate competitor” label from the comments.

KG will not learn that treating others as less than a man does not make him more of a man. I guess the only way he learns is when Philly/Indiana/Miami take them out of the playoffs early this year.

Facts>Narrative

• bougin89 - Oct 10, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Haven’t you ever been on a sports team, at any level? Every team in every sport has veterans that do things to rookies. I’d be willing to bet that most of the “hazing” is much, much more “immature”(as you put it) than this.

• itsonlyaspeedbump - Oct 10, 2012 at 11:01 PM

just pointing out that KG gets to be the leader guy while doing a lot of pointless, stupid stuff.

If another guy like say LaMarcus Aldridge or Chris Bosh was doing the same thing, it would be ‘go win something Aldridge’ or ‘Chris Bosh, fake tough guy.’

11. jeffw - Oct 9, 2012 at 11:58 PM

KG looks like Seal’s brother… only uglier!

12. petthefurrywall - Oct 10, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Massachusetts is rated #1 in education in this country, Clown!

13. paulhargis53 - Oct 10, 2012 at 11:11 AM

No the words are poke and fartbox. Which somebody from the Greater New England area must have done to Bozo years ago.

Look Bozo, we are all sorry you were Sanduskied.There is no need to take it out on the Boston fans though, we had nothing to do with it.

Please seek help with your past issues, its affecting your posting ability and making you look quite stupid.

• bozosforall - Oct 17, 2012 at 9:59 PM

That lame retort is older than your mama’s dusty old coochie.

14. duckfootballrules - Oct 10, 2012 at 12:39 PM

A native of the Twin Cities of Minneapolis/St. Paul, I was living there the year the Timberwolves drafted Kevin Garnett. I was pretty sure it was just another dumb move in the (“not”) storied history of this dysfunctional franchise. I was sitting 7 rows behind the bench during the infamous game in which Christian Laettner got all hot under the collar because KG, the rookie, came to the bench and said, “Hey ya, nobody’s moving.” As fans, we were thinking the same thing and “damn it” we were tired of being losers! Laettner, showing his prima dona attitude at the notion that this “rookie” would take it upon himself to lead, refused to be a part of the strategy huddle and proceeded to sit by himself at the end of the bench: He was traded within days. If you understand KG you know he loves his teammates and truly wants the best for them. Pro sports is 100% about winning and learning what it takes to win is always the method behind the KG madness. They said the same stuff about Jordan, Bird, Russell, Magic, Zeke…. Get the point?

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches